Can you walk to POM?

elmojessi

We will be staying in downtown Miami the night before our cruise. Just curious if there are sidewalks on the bridge to POM and along the roads there so that walking would be safe? Note that I'm not asking if we SHOULD walk, just if we COULD, if we so chose. I know taxis are cheap and I'm not asking as a cost saving measure.

My wife and I like to walk and we have walked back and forth between downtown and the Port of Miami many times. We have done this just for a nice walk and we do this before each cruise during our pre-cruise stay. We also have done this twice when we were in-transit in Miami meaning we were already on a cruise.

It is safe and their is a pedestrian walkway. This photo shows you the walkway.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XalYXaR4Jws/UXFPQu8WZeI/AAAAAAAAfRw/iMiuy2R8Gv4/s640/DSC_0646.jpg

For us we would not do this on embarkation day as we have much too much luggage for that. And we do dress nicely to board the ship.

With that said on our walks we have seen some passengers who are either walking there to embark the ship or some who have disembarked and are walking over the bridge back into Miami.

If you have any other questions, just let me know

Keith

My wife and I like to walk and we have walked back and forth between downtown and the Port of Miami many times. We have done this just for a nice walk and we do this before each cruise during our pre-cruise stay. We also have done this twice when we were in-transit in Miami meaning we were already on a cruise.

It is safe and their is a pedestrian walkway.

Keith

I'll second everything Keith has said. If it's not raining and you like to walk, it's a fine view and an easy stroll.

We've seen walkers with large bags. :eek: Depending on where your ship is in the area...it's huge... might help you decide too. But if you have no bags, and you are watching out for traffic, the walk certainly is possible.

A couple of years ago we booked back to back cruises, one on Carnival and the other on NCL (this just made me realize I'm missing a cruise from my profile below) so we started walking from one terminal to the other. When we were about halfway there a cop stopped us and demanded we turn around and go back because it was too dangerous to walk and we needed to take a shuttle or a taxi. It was really stupid as we waited and waited for a shuttle bus in the designated area. A supervisor finally stopped by, defended the first cop and called for the shuttle bus to come pick us up...a full sized 40 something passenger bus to take us to the other terminal. It was really dumb.

It's a short enough walk - a little over a mile from the nearest point on shore to the furthest terminal. However, it's not a nice walk at all. It's a concrete jungle and much of it has a heavy industrial feel. Part of the way offers a decent view but much of it doesn't. A warm day feels hotter. If avoiding a $10 cab ride offers a significant victory, the walk may be worthwhile. I don't find it a pleasant way to start off a great vacation.

Flaham, I am not sure what you that it is a walk in a concrete jungle. I suspect you can say the same thing about downtown Miami. Again, I wouldn't do it on embarkation day but we walk it often when we are in Miami as we do a good deal of the downtown area. As we are walking from the Bayside side of the bridge to the Port we enjoy nice views on the left side of the ship in port and on the right side of the skyline. It is a mile. For us that is really no big deal.

I only comment because as a walker it's always been fine for us and is very safe.

Keith

Archived