What will the Musical be?

I've suspected "Wicked" since the announcement of Kristen Chenoweth (otherwise, why choose her specifically?). I'm assuming they chose her much like they chose Katarina Witt as Godmother because they were announcing an ice rink at sea and even Fiona (Shrek's wife) makes sense due to all the dreamworks at sea. Kristen Chenoweth doesn't make sense to me if the show isn't Wicked (or at least "Pushing Up Daisies"... can't think of anything else that they could link to her).

I've never seen nor read Wicked, so I can't judge the show, but I HAVE seen Mama Mia numerous times and absolutely, positively LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that musical and would be THRILLED to see it at sea! I would be a very happy camper, in deed!

It would need to be a show that:

A) can easily be truncated to a 90 minute 1 act format

B) has a book and staging appropriate for most audience members

C) has marquee value, an upbeat energy and feel, along with a wide appeal

D) allows for diversity in casting

E) where the royalties and production costs would be low enough to allow RCCL to perform it without having to charge

Based on the above Mamma Mia might be a likely candidate. Jersey boys or Wicked would seem unlikely (as much as I'd like to see them)

Edited by scottamiller

E) where the royalties and production costs would be low enough to allow RCCL to perform it without having to charge

Based on the above Mamma Mia might be a likely candidate. Jersey boys or Wicked would seem unlikely (as much as I'd like to see them)

While agree with mpst of what you said, The fact that the Allure has Chicago, which really is not appropriate for a lot of people that one is ify! I think Wicked would be the perfect choice and to me very doable.

While agree with mpst of what you said, The fact that the Allure has Chicago, which really is not appropriate for a lot of people that one is ify! I think Wicked would be the perfect choice and to me very doable.

I had no problem bringing my 13 and 15 years olds to see Chicago. It's much more tame than most of what they watch on tv (Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, American Dad, etc.). I'm not crazy with the Allure's production of Chicago. The cast wasn't tight and the acting was the thing that was actually a bit iffy. Wicked also requires a tight cast and a very strrong actress who pull off Elfaba. That show is so reliant on one person. If they can find the right person, it's a great choice.

I had no problem bringing my 13 and 15 years olds to see Chicago. It's much more tame than most of what they watch on tv (Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, American Dad, etc.). I'm not crazy with the Allure's production of Chicago. The cast wasn't tight and the acting was the thing that was actually a bit iffy. Wicked also requires a tight cast and a very strrong actress who pull off Elfaba. That show is so reliant on one person. If they can find the right person, it's a great choice.

I agree, Wicked could be a challenge but I would love to see it!!! I guess time will tell!

Being from Massachusetts all I can say is "Wicked" would be wicked awesome :D. I love Broadway but have never seen Wicked. I can't stand Abba, so please no Mama Mia. But I can easily see them choosing Momma Mia and that will be a hit with the guests.

Let me add one:

F) staging that can fit on and stored in the space available in the cruise ship theater.

I agree, Wicked could be a challenge but I would love to see it!!! I guess time will tell!

I too would like to see it, but am not holding my breath as I question if enough of the constraints can be resolved. But as stated above: time will tell.

Being from Massachusetts all I can say is "Wicked" would be wicked awesome :D. I love Broadway but have never seen Wicked. I can't stand Abba, so please no Mama Mia. But I can easily see them choosing Momma Mia and that will be a hit with the guests.

It's coming to Boston again this fall, Deb! It would be wicked pissah if you got tix!

I'm voting to Jersey boys, the staging is less complicated and the theme is appropriate, but I agree with the others about the Godmother thing...if it was Wicked she could star in the Inaugural, then turn it over to the RC singers and dancers;)

I feel like we're missing some guesses. Hairspray and Chicago were not obvious bets when they arrived. I also wouldn't have guessed on Saturday Night Fever (Liberty). Maybe we need to think broader? Cabaret? I'd love it but the Chicago-haters wouldn't. Dreamgirls? Billy Elliott? The Producers? Grease? Les Mis?

It's coming to Boston again this fall, Deb! It would be wicked pissah if you got tix!

I'm voting to Jersey boys, the staging is less complicated and the theme is appropriate, but I agree with the others about the Godmother thing...if it was Wicked she could star in the Inaugural, then turn it over to the RC singers and dancers;)

Thank you for the info..I am definitely going to check it out...

I feel like we're missing some guesses. Hairspray and Chicago were not obvious bets when they arrived. I also wouldn't have guessed on Saturday Night Fever (Liberty). Maybe we need to think broader? Cabaret? I'd love it but the Chicago-haters wouldn't. Dreamgirls? Billy Elliott? The Producers? Grease? Les Mis?

I love the music from Cabaret...

One I was thinking of today meets a number of requirements. Production costs are low, staging/sets can be minimal, has a mixed cast that doesn't demand a specific strong performer, and could easily include regular singers and dancers: "A Chorus Line".

I seriously doubt Wicked would be chosen as the new musical. I've seen it three times and the one detail I've noticed is that the musical has tons of props and equipment in order to make the special effects work....like when Elphaba (Wicked Witch) was on her broom flying and singing Defying Gravity. I think something like this is too costly but if the musical is confirmed, I'll be curious to watch it and see how it compares to the land version.

Someone mentioned Les Mis....um.....no! It's too long! The show is about 3.5 hours. Half of the cruisers I've met can't sit still for 2 minutes!

Mamma Mia would be ideal! It has a simple story, not too long, not a whole lot of props and a crowd pleaser.....unless you're anti-ABBA!

Edited by Erik101