Jewel - Which port in San Juan

Hi everyone,

Do you know what port the Jewel of the Seas will sail out of in San Juan later this year? From what I'm reading, I see that there are two cruise ports in San Juan, is this correct?

What areas for hotels are close to these ports. If I do priceline or hotwire, I don't know what areas to choose for 1 night pre cruise. I'd like an area where we can walk to restaurants and shopping, if possible. I guess it doesn't have to be close to the port as long as a taxi ride is reasonable.

Thank you.

Hi everyone,

Do you know what port the Jewel of the Seas will sail out of in San Juan later this year? From what I'm reading, I see that there are two cruise ports in San Juan, is this correct?

What areas for hotels are close to these ports. If I do priceline or hotwire, I don't know what areas to choose for 1 night pre cruise. I'd like an area where we can walk to restaurants and shopping, if possible. I guess it doesn't have to be close to the port as long as a taxi ride is reasonable.

Thank you.

Royal usually starts their cruises at the Pan American pier.

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

It's not close to the port but not a far cab ride either. We always book in Isla Verde, Hampton Inn Express. Everything is right there and an easy walk. It's closer to the airport then the pier.

We love staying in Old San Juan at Plaza de Armus. Right on the plaza, so much to see/do. Great people watching. Take a walk down by the water, walk around the plaze, etc. Have stayed there many times and never been disappointed.

Lots of restaurants/shopping to walk to. Pharmacy and grocery store right on the Plaza.

Great post since I've been looking at the same thing. I googled "Pan American pier San Juan" and this came up. It's a link I'll use to find a hotel. I had been looking based on where our ship docked for a port day. Turns out this will be at another port.

http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

Yup, good map. The "day ports" dock in Old San Juan. The "home ports" dock at the old airport. The day pier is right on a main street so no place to refill all the supplies for the next sailing. They have to use the pier near the warehouses. And there is nothing anywhere near there but warehouses. Stay in OSJ and take cab to the boat. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton last trip out of San Juan (loved it) and we are at the Ritz San Juan next week.

Thanks, everyone, for all the Hotel and area information. I think I can try to decide on a hotel now.

Cathep, thanks for the great link and map. This help a lot with the areas to define on priceline or hotwire for hotels.

As usual, cruise critic is the place to come for cruise answers. I've been cruising since 2000, but I still find new things here all the time.

The Condado area is close to the dock which is where the Caribe Hilton is located as well as multiple other hotels. It's about 5-10 minutes by taxi to the pier. Old San Juan is also a very short distance from there if you're coming in early or staying post cruise. We were just there last week.:)

We've stayed in Condado and enjoyed the neighborhood, restaurants, central location and beach access. Isla Verde is much further from the cruise ports, has beautiful beach, lots of hotels, many of them luxury, and not much else in walking distance. Old San Juan is closest to the ports. We last stayed at Da House in Old San Juan, which is more like a hostel (cheap, with character and live music late into the night), and we want to try El Convento there next. Those two places would be complete opposite ends of a spectrum. I love wandering the streets of Old San Juan early in the mornings. The bus systems in San Juan work fine and are easy to understand, so getting around the town can be done fairly cheaply, although when loaded with luggage, one would obviously need a taxi.

We've stayed in all three of the above mentioned neighborhoods, and never felt like we made a bad choice. Enjoy San Juan.

Archived