Distance from Los Angeles Cruise Terminal to Downton LA

luvtravel88

Our cruise does a one day stop in LA. Would anyone know how far the cruise terminal is from downtown and is it easy to get there on your own?

We may like to go to the Getty Museum on our own or possibly take a tour.

The tours the cruise ship is offering is very limited.

Thanks for any help!

The cruise port in San Pedro is a 30 to 40 minute drive from downtown LA, and it's easy enough with a rental car, but the Getty Center (and almost anything else you might want to do) is not in downtown LA.

It's going to be pretty hard to get around if you don't have a rental car and if you're unfamiliar with the area. It might be better to find an independent tour that picks up at the pier and goes where you want.

Thanks Caa. That's what I was thinking but hoping for better.

So I guess the next question is... How do we find an independent tour guide? They aren't listed on Trip Advisor and I don't know how I feel about getting off the ship and just finding someone on the pier.

Thanks Caa. That's what I was thinking but hoping for better.

So I guess the next question is... How do we find an independent tour guide? They aren't listed on Trip Advisor and I don't know how I feel about getting off the ship and just finding someone on the pier.

Google Sunseeker Tours....they are the one known tour company that will do either group or customized LA tours picking up from the port...best way to get the most out of your one day...

Definitely consider using the tour Steve suggested. The Getty Center is in Bel Air (if one takes the 405 freeway north and goes some miles past LAX, you'll be there). But there's been a lot of construction on the 405 which may affect access to the museum complex, so it may be a good idea to check this out for the time you'll be in LA.

With just hours for a port stop, you won't want to be trying to navigate your way around LA. It's way too widespread.

I would plan on it taking one hour given traffic.

I am not sure I would go into Los Angeles.

How about Long Beach.

Keith

Well, we've spent some time in LA before so I didn't want to do any of the touristy things that you think of doing if you've never been there before. Such as the Hollywood sign, Grauman's, Rodeo Drive, the Tar Pits, etc....

We've also been to Disneyland. We have friends in Irvine and have been to Laguna Beach, Venice Beach and Long Beach. We love museums so really want to go to The Getty. Would it be feasible to just get a cab at the pier and make arrangements for them to drop us off and then pick us back up a few hours later?

I went to the Sunseeker Tours website but couldn't find anywhere that they would pick up and drop off at the San Pedro Pier.

Well, we've spent some time in LA before so I didn't want to do any of the touristy things that you think of doing if you've never been there before. Such as the Hollywood sign, Grauman's, Rodeo Drive, the Tar Pits, etc....

We've also been to Disneyland. We have friends in Irvine and have been to Laguna Beach, Venice Beach and Long Beach. We love museums so really want to go to The Getty. Would it be feasible to just get a cab at the pier and make arrangements for them to drop us off and then pick us back up a few hours later?

I went to the Sunseeker Tours website but couldn't find anywhere that they would pick up and drop off at the San Pedro Pier.

Sunseeker will...you just have to call or email them and they would customize it for you...

But, if you just need transportation back and forth, a taxi, limo or maybe even a shuttle company may be all you need...I would try contacting "all of the above" and just pose the question: We arrive in San Pedro by cruise ship at ?:00 and need transportation for__ passengers to the Getty Center...and transportation back from Getty to the San Pedro pier to return by ??:00. What can you offer and what is the cost?"...

I am sure you will get some responses...

Someone like Sunseeker might be willing to work on some options with you--like, perhaps splitting the day with the Getty Villa as well and a lunch stop in between...or photo stops in Santa Monica or Marina del Rey...Others may just drop you off and pick you up...

I would just make the contacts and see what they propose...

You certainly could have a tax drop you off and later have another one pick you up.

Another option is a private car service.

Here is the name of one I've used before and they offer competitive rates. The are excecuar.

Their web site is at http://www.excecucar.com and from there look up the Los Angeles location and give them a call.

Keith

OK. I have only called one car service and will call some others tomorrow to see if the pricing is very different, but the car service wants $148 for one way and that's just to the Getty Museum.

So I was doing some further research and want to know if plan B is feasible.

We could take a taxi from the San Pedro Cruise Terminal to the Long Beach Transit Mall Metro Rail. (I think this is about a 10 minute drive)

We could then take the Blue Line to 7th St./Metro Center Station and transfer to the Red Line. If we got off at the Hollywood and Vine Station, we could then take a taxi(supposedly about 20 minutes) to the Getty Museum. We could then take a taxi to the Peterson Automobile Museum which is about 11 miles and then take a taxi from Peterson Museum back to the closest Metro Rail Station and then reverse the process.

I have no idea if the taxi costs doing it this way would be as much as a private rental, but I know the Metro is much cheaper.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

According to Taxifarefinder.com (all amounts are with tip)

San Pedro to Getty Center is $101

Getty Center to Petersen is $46

Petersen to San Pedro is $91

Total: $238

San Pedro to Long Beach Transit Mall is $29

transit fare

Hollywood & Vine to Getty Center is $51

Getty Center to Petersen is $46

Petersen to 6th & Flower (silver line) is $30

transit fare

Long Beach Transit Mall to San Pedro is $29

Total: $185 + 2x transit fare (est at $5 each) gives $195

So, you will spend a lot longer getting anywhere by taking public transit, and you will save a total of $43. Enterprise has rental cars in San Pedro as low as $40, so that is probably a better option if you can do it. No matter what you do, leave yourself ample time to get back to the ship. There would be nothing worse than sitting in traffic on the 405 while your ship sails away without you.

Also, what day are you in town? The Getty Museum is closed on Monday.

Thanks for the info Caa. I think we're going to have to rethink our desire to go to The Getty. If we weren't under a time constraint I would rent a car but you are correct in our concern to get back to the ship on time when we don't know where we're going.

Thanks for the help.

So I was doing some further research and want to know if plan B is feasible.

We could take a taxi from the San Pedro Cruise Terminal to the Long Beach Transit Mall Metro Rail. (I think this is about a 10 minute drive)

We could then take the Blue Line to 7th St./Metro Center Station and transfer to the Red Line. If we got off at the Hollywood and Vine Station, we could then take a taxi(supposedly about 20 minutes) to the Getty Museum. We could then take a taxi to the Peterson Automobile Museum which is about 11 miles and then take a taxi from Peterson Museum back to the closest Metro Rail Station and then reverse the process.

I have no idea if the taxi costs doing it this way would be as much as a private rental, but I know the Metro is much cheaper.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would hire private transportation. I don't know how much time you have in LA, but taking the Blue Line from Long Beach to the end is about 1 hour. What you are thinking of doing will take a minimum of 2 hours transit time each way.

Also, anything can happen on the Blue Line. We were on it a few months ago, and the power went out at the Transit Center. We had to get off a few stops before the end and walk about 1/2 mile to the bus stop. Also, some people think they can beat the train at the intersection.:eek:

I really appreciate all the comments. We've decided to scrap it. We're there from 7am-8pm. We've spent time in LA and the surrounding area. We didn't want to spend the money, saving it for other places that we haven't been. We think we're going to do a cruise sponsored tour that goes to places we've already seen but it spends about an hour at the Farmer's Market which we really like. The Getty will have to wait for another time.

So again, thanks for all the help.

The most practical way to tour LA to the non-touristy spots is to rent a car. There is an Enterprise car rental near the Crowne Plaza not far from the port.

But--get back on the road by 4 PM so you can ensure you can be back on time. Take your GPS from home if you have it or it may be worth the extra $10 or so to rent one from your rental car company.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting insights here - we will most likely be starting a cruise in LA next year and wanted a few days looking around before we go. Thought about doing one of those guided tours of LA to take in all the trashy stuff, just so we can say we've been there, and then spend the next couple of days at some more "cultural" sights. Also thinking about having a look at the USS Iowa on the morning of our departure (NCL) - will have to find out how far away the cruise terminal is to see if we can fit this in.

Archived