Luggage question

CasaM

Since we started cruising in 1989 we've gone from hard sided to soft sided to rolling duffels. We love the duffels and feel we can pack better in them than in soft-sided luggage. I've also learned how to pack our formal wear in large zip locks (including DH's tuxedo) so that we can pack them in our carry-on. We experienced a complete loss of luggage years ago and couldn't attend the first formal night, so never again!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)[/quo

a tux in a large ziplock, where do you get them, are they like spacebags and how do you get the air out of the bag

Scrapnana, No addiction, actually DH saw our luggage "on sale" and we bought 2 sets just because the price was so good. I think it was a black Friday sale. But these cheaper sets usually don't last long, as others have mentioned.

Yes, happy ks, I will be lining with plastic bags from now on!

"a tux in a large ziplock, where do you get them, are they like spacebags and how do you get the air out of the bag"

The brand I use is "Hefty One Zip" Jumbo 2.5 gallon storage bags. A friend of ours from North Carolina sent me a bunch as a gift because I couldn't find the right size up here. They work beautifully for a well folded tuxedo (we simply hang it in the bathroom with the shower on for about 10 mins. and the wrinkles hang out), and for my formal dress as well.

We were travelling to Japan for our son's wedding and knew if our formal wear didn't make it, we would be in deep trouble, as the sizes of clothing there are much smaller. We could make do with our day to day clothes, but definitely had to have our formal wear, so I packed them in zip locks, slipped them into our carry-ons and we didn't have a moment's worry.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gave up on softsided stuff years ago. Even top of the line stuff took a good beating with the airlines and we fly quite a bit. The new hardsided stuff is as light as softsided and offers far more protection and durability. Forget your 15 lb Samsonite or American Tourister from the 80's. We each have two suitcases, one very large and one large. They come from different manufacturers but the heavist of the lot weighs in at under 7 lbs. They all have about 50000 or more air miles on them and are still in great shape

"The brand I use is "Hefty One Zip" Jumbo 2.5 gallon storage bags. A friend of ours from North Carolina sent me a bunch as a gift because I couldn't find the right size up here.

I thought the same thing but found super large sizes in Walmart. They are very expensive but they have them. :)

I like the soft side wheeled duffle bags. They have two different sections that zip together and plenty of pockets. The top comes off and stores inside the bottom. I have a larger and medium size and the medium comes apart and fits in the large as well. They store under the cabin beds and I think some of the hard cases do not. I like Athalon brand.

I've called myself a luggage slut ;) Sometimes, I think I've never met a bag I didn't like. I seem to be able to find a reason why I need to have a particular new bag for a particular trip. If I keep them to a particular trip, I can always justify that new bag :D

Before I purchased my new luggage before my last cruise I gifted all of my old suitcases to my daughter and son-in-law. They do more car trips than I do so they could use it and I would have no guilt in buying new!

Before I purchased my new luggage before my last cruise I gifted all of my old suitcases to my daughter and son-in-law. They do more car trips than I do so they could use it and I would have no guilt in buying new!

I've turned my old stuff into my storage containers. Pretty easy to identify: winter top layers in the Dakine plaid, summer shorts & tank tops in the zebra-striped Burton, ski pants in the grey JanSport...

I've turned my old stuff into my storage containers. Pretty easy to identify: winter top layers in the Dakine plaid, summer shorts & tank tops in the zebra-striped Burton, ski pants in the grey JanSport...

Our condo has a communal garage sale every second year so that's where mine went. They were the first items to be sold.

Is there any advantage to using the soft sided luggage on Holland America? I have cruised with Princess and Disney and found that with a soft sided bag I could shove it under the bed after unpacking. Does anyone know if Holland has the same space there?

you might want to check these out they hardly weight anything and seem well constructed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G8IL7G/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is strange -

Product Dimensions: 11.5 x 25 x 18 inches ; 9.5 pounds

Shipping Weight: 8.6 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)

How can the shipping weight be less than the weight of the suitcase?:confused:

you might want to check these out they hardly weight anything and seem well constructed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G8IL7G/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this luggage. I got the older version (29" with no spinners) a few years ago and it's been great. I took it on a month long land trip in Europe and it's survived numerous plane trips between San Francisco and San Diego. It has a few scratches but that's about it.

Archived