Luggage question

CasaM

Does anyone still use hard sided luggage instead of the soft sided?

I have a suitcase from the mid 90s that was very serviceable, but over the years I bought the new soft sided ones. We're going to the Med. in Oct and I'm thinking I may want to bring this back into use. I especially like that this Samsonite has a strap on the handle where you can tether your carry on while walking thru the airport or to the hotel, which is easier than carrying it over your shoulder (at least for me).

I just don't see any of these hard sided cases when I travel and I'm wondering why.

Does anyone still use hard sided luggage instead of the soft sided?

I have a suitcase from the mid 90s that was very serviceable, but over the years I bought the new soft sided ones. We're going to the Med. in Oct and I'm thinking I may want to bring this back into use. I especially like that this Samsonite has a strap on the handle where you can tether your carry on while walking thru the airport or to the hotel, which is easier than carrying it over your shoulder (at least for me).

I just don't see any of these hard sided cases when I travel and I'm wondering why.

My other half still uses a hard sided Samsonite case when we do any transatlantic travel. I use the original EZ Cart by Samsonite which is more of a softer case. I actually think the harder cases protect better but of course they weigh more.

Since we started cruising in 1989 we've gone from hard sided to soft sided to rolling duffels. We love the duffels and feel we can pack better in them than in soft-sided luggage. I've also learned how to pack our formal wear in large zip locks (including DH's tuxedo) so that we can pack them in our carry-on. We experienced a complete loss of luggage years ago and couldn't attend the first formal night, so never again!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have seen alot of "Heys" brand and that is a hardsided.

Personally, I like luggage that has outside pockets and that is only

in soft sided.

I saw some hard sided luggage when I was looking at luggage the other day, but it specifically said how much it weighed. With the strict weight limit these days I think the first thing I'd do is weigh the piece of luggage. You don't want a third or more of your allotted weight to be taken up by your empty luggage.

I'm not familiar with all lines manufactured by Samsonite, but if you're referring to the old clamshell line, I think weight may be the biggest issue. We had a few clamshells several years ago and I recall they weighed around 20 lbs. empty. We never sold them, just shipped them to one of our outlet store after they languished for a very long time.

There are a lot of what is called polycarbonate or poly blend cases now that are extremely lightweight. The top of the line is Rimowa, but there are many other manufacturers out there, Lois mentioned Heys and there are dozens of others. We carry at least 5 different brands in our store. There is a wide range of quality and price point, it all depends on budget and personal preference.

My suggestion would be first to weigh the piece you already have and then go in person if you can to see and feel, weigh and compare the newer cases to your Samsonite. I wasxat the airport twice in the last couple weeks and I did see a person with what I think is your case, soyes people do still.use them.

I have seen alot of "Heys" brand and that is a hardsided.

Personally, I like luggage that has outside pockets and that is only

in soft sided.

Just like other fashion trends as soon as everyone has hard shell, the makers market soft-sided. Then reverse. They have to make the old look new again.

We have Heys. They are a very lightweight plastic like Happy ks mentions and these are made of recycled plastic. They are the four wheeled variety. First time I have had this and like it. So much easier towing about and the carry-on turned sideways can easily be wheeled ahead of me down narrow plane aisles. The wheels do take more room though.

However, like you, I really miss not having outside pockets. Never thought of this until we actually packed them the first time.

hey guys,,,this is our first cruise and i just read something about weight limits,,,, is that for airlines only or does the ship have one too??? never saw anything written anywhere yet..... all aboard,,,,sooon :D

Hi, the cruiseline has no luggage restrictions.

I am in NJ also, we were always able to drive to port, so no weight limits! for luggage.

Last year, we did a 12 day Med, most airlines say 23 kg for your luggage...50 pounds...that becomes a challenge....but I was 47.5 pounds, it was huge and fun challenge as my husband said I could never do it!! (be under 50 pounds). (I forgot what the carry on weight limit is I THINK 8 KG.)

and I brought two long gowns also and many dresses....just picked the lightest clothing I owned!!

Bernadette

Just this year I scaled down the size of my luggage, from a 27 inch down to a 24 inch. I was not what I call a heavy packer, but when there is extra space I tend to fill it up. With a 24 inch case I had to scale back more than usual. Fully packed, my 4 wheeled 24 inch piece weighed in at 38 lbs. I had plenty of clothing, empty my case is around 11 lbs.

I didn't buy the hard sided case, the one I want is just too expensive even with an employee discount. I have Briggs and Riley luggage...love it. I have slowly changed over from older (and much heavier) Victorinox. A couple of our vendors (B & R being one of them) will sell us 1 or 2 pieces per year, per employee at a better discount than we get through employment.

If I were to buy a hard sided case right now, it would be Tumi Tegra Lite or Salsa Deluxe Rimowa. The Salsa Deluxe does carry a hybrid line, it has outside pockets. We only have the carry on size, but it does come in larger pieces.

Just an FYI, if you buy online. The vast majority of online sites sell luggage at the same price as in store. If you do find a lower price online and it is a legitimate source, most stores will price match. We don't honor sites like Ebay and it has to be the same exact piece. Sometimes discontinued pieces (styles or colors) will be found for less online and it may look a lot like the currently priced pieces. Most of the higher end luggage does not come out with new lines/colors every year, but they will have manufacturer sales, where everyone can mark down a line for a limited time. Right now Victorinox has the Avolve (4 wheeled) line on sale @ 15% off, through June (I think). It's a nice alternative, kind of hard and soft at the same time. The manufacturers sales...every seller either online or in store is included. Stores that advertise will make it look like it's only on sale there...a little misleading (Macy's is typical for that :rolleyes:).

Just this year I scaled down the size of my luggage, from a 27 inch down to a 24 inch. I was not what I call a heavy packer, but when there is extra space I tend to fill it up. With a 24 inch case I had to scale back more than usual. Fully packed, my 4 wheeled 24 inch piece weighed in at 38 lbs. I had plenty of clothing, empty my case is around 11 lbs.

I didn't buy the hard sided case, the one I want is just too expensive even with an employee discount. I have Briggs and Riley luggage...love it. I have slowly changed over from older (and much heavier) Victorinox. A couple of our vendors (B & R being one of them) will sell us 1 or 2 pieces per year, per employee at a better discount than we get through employment.

If I were to buy a hard sided case right now, it would be Tumi Tegra Lite or Salsa Deluxe Rimowa. The Salsa Deluxe does carry a hybrid line, it has outside pockets. We only have the carry on size, but it does come in larger pieces.

Just an FYI, if you buy online. The vast majority of online sites sell luggage at the same price as in store. If you do find a lower price online and it is a legitimate source, most stores will price match. We don't honor sites like Ebay and it has to be the same exact piece. Sometimes discontinued pieces (styles or colors) will be found for less online and it may look a lot like the currently priced pieces. Most of the higher end luggage does not come out with new lines/colors every year, but they will have manufacturer sales, where everyone can mark down a line for a limited time. Right now Victorinox has the Avolve (4 wheeled) line on sale @ 15% off, through June (I think). It's a nice alternative, kind of hard and soft at the same time. The manufacturers sales...every seller either online or in store is included. Stores that advertise will make it look like it's only on sale there...a little misleading (Macy's is typical for that :rolleyes:).

Hi Kathy:).....I have been using a 24 or 25 inch bag for a long, long

time. We both cruised week before last (I thought about you too:D)

and when I got to the airport and put the bag on the scale? It weighed

less than 40lbs too:)....that was for 7 night cruise as well;)

Okay, excellent points for me to consider...weight of current case (yes, Samsonite clamshell) and no pockets. Probably the weight will be the main issue --unless I buy a newer lightweight hard case, which I don't think I'll do as I still have several new soft sided ones that I've never used.

Last year our luggage was held outside in rain before being put on ship in Barcelona and about 1/3 of our clothes got wet and needed to be washed and dried. I was thinking the hard case would prevent that. But I could always put a large plastic bag around the clothes in a soft side.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

Well I think I've found a simple solution to my tethering problem.

On amazon, they have a Lewis N. Clark Add-A-Bag Luggage Strap, which I can use with my soft sided suitcase and tether my very small wheeled case to it when walking to hotel. I'm using the small case as my carry on - meaning I will not have a purse or anything else - just this as my carry on. This can be wheeled thru the airport and I won't have anything heavy over my shoulder.

The garment bag section of my suitcase has plastic dry cleaner bags over all pieces. I put plastic bags in the bottom of the suitcase (usually compression bag with underwear and extra zip lock bags just lining the bag. I always hope it's enough to do that to prevent wet damage.

Most better quality luggage will be water resistant, but even the hard sided cases (unless they have latches like your clamshell) cannot be called waterproof. With the zipper, especially where the pulls meet, moisture can get into the bag there. Some of them, like Rimowa, will waterproof the zipper, but there is still that little gap.

You can find luggage covers:

http://www.amazon.com/Luggage-Protect-Covers-X-Large/dp/B002NHEB62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366635527&sr=8-1&keywords=luggage+protective+cover

We carry another brand of these in the store, we sell out of them quickly, but I've never had a person come back and leave a comment, or had one returned.

Okay, excellent points for me to consider...weight of current case (yes, Samsonite clamshell) and no pockets. Probably the weight will be the main issue --unless I buy a newer lightweight hard case, which I don't think I'll do as I still have several new soft sided ones that I've never used.

Are you addicted to luggage like I am? If I were wealthy I would have new luggage for every trip. I love luggage shopping!

Are you addicted to luggage like I am? If I were wealthy I would have new luggage for every trip. I love luggage shopping!

I've called myself a luggage slut ;) Sometimes, I think I've never met a bag I didn't like. I seem to be able to find a reason why I need to have a particular new bag for a particular trip. If I keep them to a particular trip, I can always justify that new bag :D

I've got a trip coming up in 7 days to Italy. no new luggage (yet), but I did buy a new day bag... I'm having to keep away from REI because they have the Osprey Ozone bag that I'd really like to have - 22", 2.02 kg in weight!!

I replaced my old (and heavy) soft-sided luggage last year with a shiny new set of Heys hard-sided spinners. It has a strap that clips my 20" carry-on to the larger 25" that makes is very easy to use. So far I've used it on four trips. No problems at all. I love it.

I had to get a new suitcase in Seattle last year, and found a London fog,"Windsor" very light case at marshall's. It weighs only 6 #, and found the matching 29 in. case at Mac'ys at Christmas for $130.00. they are both so light, the 29" is 8-9#.

:cool:

Archived