buying beer on board

Moomduck1

Hi,

We usually bring wine with us when we cruise. My parents will be traveling with us this time and my dad prefers beer. What is the best way to buy beer? Are there deals like the ones for people who purchase soda cards? Any advice? Thanks.

I recall that the more desirable beer, Grolsch, was excluded from the happy hour special. Grolsch is sold on board in the larger 15 oz (?) bottle with the hinged stopper.

igraf

We were on the Eurodam 3 weeks ago and they had a beer bucket special-5 domestics for 23$ or imports for 25$-saved at least .75 per beer. Happy hours are buy 1 at reg price get 2nd for 1$.

In the past we have ordered (via the HAL website) beer to be in our stateroom when we boarded. Miller, Miller Light, Budweiser, Bud Light, Amstel Light, and Heineken in cans and Corona in bottles, 26.45/6 domestic and 29.90/6 import. Nice if you have a balcony and some warm weather to enjoy.

Also, the bucket of beer deal, we enjoyed it at the Lido and Aft pools, is a good deal. Just took our extras back to our cabin, bucket and all. I am not sure if selection varies by ship/itinerary/particular bar on the ship but would just make the assumption that it does switch up some. Last time we were on Maasdam, the MIX bar had Beck's, Stella, Boddingtons, and Bass on tap. :)

You can have just about anything delivered to your cabin. Just pick up the phone.

Is it possible to order beer that's not on the list in advance?

Not a fan of any of the beers they have, still ended up buying a million buckets of Corona (husband is beer only these days). It would be super if I could order a couple cases of Sierra Nevada...

Not a fan of any of the beers they have, still ended up buying a million buckets of Corona (husband is beer only these days). It would be super if I could order a couple cases of Sierra Nevada...

I don't think you can do this. (Too bad, because Sierra Nevada is good!) It would be a logistical nightmare to cater to that kind of individual preference. You have to work with what they offer on board.

We love to try local beers when we travel, and I think it's sad that we aren't allowed to take any on board. Even just a few stray bottles would be enough for a treat, but it's against the rules.

Looking at the beer available for preorder is like taking a trip back to the '80s. Do they carry any micro brews (or at least darker mass market beers) in the bars?

In a word, no.

I always mention it on my comment card: Please, just give us one dark beer.

Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

In a word, no.

I always mention it on my comment card: Please, just give us one dark beer.

Wouldn't that be nice? ;)

Wine it is, then! I meant what I said about the 80's. I LOVED those beers 25 years ago. Now, IPA is my go to light beer, and I love a good porter.

I don't think you can do this. (Too bad, because Sierra Nevada is good!) It would be a logistical nightmare to cater to that kind of individual preference. You have to work with what they offer on board.

We love to try local beers when we travel, and I think it's sad that we aren't allowed to take any on board. Even just a few stray bottles would be enough for a treat, but it's against the rules.

Ah, too bad. If only they had a pale ale and an IPA on the list! Or at least Pacifico instead of Corona! I love the ginger beers on Grand Turk, I would have brought a few back to the ship if allowed.

We did bring a few bottles of lambic on last time, technically a beer, but in a wine-type bottle. Placed in my case of wine, not hidden, they didn't comment on them going through security.

I understand on the Alaskan itineraries they often have Alaskan Amber, and other beers, from the Alaskan Brewing Co. That is available in WA and my favorite microbrew by far. I'm always happy when I find another restaurant that serves it. If you like a slightly sweet malty but still fairly light beer with a really smooth finish it's the brew for you.

I understand on the Alaskan itineraries they often have Alaskan Amber, and other beers, from the Alaskan Brewing Co. That is available in WA and my favorite microbrew by far. I'm always happy when I find another restaurant that serves it. If you like a slightly sweet malty but still fairly light beer with a really smooth finish it's the brew for you.

Back in 2007 they had Alaskan been on tap at ths salmon bake ion the Lido deck on the Amsterdam. I don't recall seeing bottled versions in the bars.

Ah, too bad. If only they had a pale ale and an IPA on the list! Or at least Pacifico instead of Corona! I love the ginger beers on Grand Turk, I would have brought a few back to the ship if allowed.

We did bring a few bottles of lambic on last time, technically a beer, but in a wine-type bottle. Placed in my case of wine, not hidden, they didn't comment on them going through security.

The reason why HAL can not do special requests for anything -- beer -- alcohol -- is because they have signed contracts with certain vendors. Thus they are getting discounts by buying huge volumes.

Back in 2007 they had Alaskan been on tap at ths salmon bake ion the Lido deck on the Amsterdam. I don't recall seeing bottled versions in the bars.

They had bottles of Alaskan Amber on Zuiderdam in 2010. I remember seeing cases of it in the "cold room" when we did the behind-the-scenes tour.

Does anyone know why HAL forbids bringing beer on board? It's fine to bring as much wine as you want - even though wine has a higher alcoholic content....

Yes, I totally agree that there should be at least ONE amber or dark beer - other than Guinness! When I ask, all they respond with is that they do serve one in Alaska! That doesn't help if you're not cruising in Alaska!

Does anyone know why HAL forbids bringing beer on board? It's fine to bring as much wine as you want - even though wine has a higher alcoholic content....

Yes, I totally agree that there should be at least ONE amber or dark beer - other than Guinness! When I ask, all they respond with is that they do serve one in Alaska! That doesn't help if you're not cruising in Alaska!

I have never seen anyone post an explanation as to why HAL does it that way. One could ask the same way: why does HAL allow wine to be brought on. :) It is what it is.

I don't think it has anything to do with the alcohol content. I think they allow wine because there's immensely more variation in the kinds of wine people prefer.

I too would like a good dark beer on all ships. IMO Grolsch is the best beer you can always find on board.

Archived