Soda in refrigerators

chet the jet

Do what we did and ask them to take away what was in the fridge and we carried a few of our own on board. Even replenished in one port, again just a few to have some of our own handy. Being coke drinkers the soda card wasn't an option, but even with the soda card it would be nice to have a can or bottle handy in the room.

Great idea on having them take their stocked "stuff" out of the fridge. I would like to buy some pop at the ports to bring back on the ship. I don't want to buy the pop card as we generally limit how much pop the kids can drink to 1-2/day and I don't drink pop at all (my hubby will on occassion). Since my daughter will be 13 then - we wouold have to pay the adult price for her, so just now worth it.

Great idea on having them take their stocked "stuff" out of the fridge. I would like to buy some pop at the ports to bring back on the ship. I don't want to buy the pop card as we generally limit how much pop the kids can drink to 1-2/day and I don't drink pop at all (my hubby will on occassion). Since my daughter will be 13 then - we wouold have to pay the adult price for her, so just now worth it.

And they did it for us with no questions asked so it was great. Was much better than having it all sitting there on the counter for the entire cruise. It also allowed us to grab chocolate milk or other type free packaged items that were only available at breakfast to be able to drink later in the day.

We always remove everything out of the refrigerator as soon as we arrive in our room and replace it with our soda. They have never had a problem with it. :)

I don't just like to replace it I want it gone from the room. :D

I don't just like to replace it I want it gone from the room. :D

Does the steward actually remove the fridge's contents from the cabin per your request? Or does he simply put it up on a shelf out of the way (or somewhere else that's not being used)? My experience on quite a few cruises has been the latter.

What's in a NCL (Dawn) frig when you board?

I think they are all pretty much the same. They usually have 1 red wine, 1 white, soda (reg, diet, and I think I remember seeing ginger ale), a big bottle of water, a big bottle of Pellegrino, vodka, whiskey .... the usual things you'd see in a mini bar (mini fridge?!) set up. On the Epic, they also had gummy bears in there.

Does the steward actually remove the fridge's contents from the cabin per your request? Or does he simply put it up on a shelf out of the way (or somewhere else that's not being used)? My experience on quite a few cruises has been the latter.

Well I've only done this once but they took it away as far as I could tell, unless they hid it in the room somewhere I didn't see. I had an inside cabin with limited space so not sure where they would have put it. Guess in the end if they hide it that well it would serve the same purpose :)

Don't forget that anything purchased out of the mini bar also gets charged the 15 percent automatic gratuity.

OP, you are welcome to bring on your own soda, bottled water, juices and non-alcoholic mixers.

And they did it for us with no questions asked so it was great. Was much better than having it all sitting there on the counter for the entire cruise. It also allowed us to grab chocolate milk or other type free packaged items that were only available at breakfast to be able to drink later in the day.

that is a great tip, my kids would get into their stuff & run up the bill if it was left in the room. also love the idea of picking up soda in each port instead of trying to figure out how much to bring

Don't forget that anything purchased out of the mini bar also gets charged the 15 percent automatic gratuity.

Is this really true? I can't remember the last time I actually used something from the mini-bar, so I have no memory of this. But they really tack on a 15% gratuity for self-service?

P.S. I guess if it's true, then I guess the justification for the gratuity is that somebody has to stock/restock the fridge.

Is this really true? I can't remember the last time I actually used something from the mini-bar, so I have no memory of this. But they really tack on a 15% gratuity for self-service?

P.S. I guess if it's true, then I guess the justification for the gratuity is that somebody has to stock/restock the fridge.

Yes, it is true.

Here's the mini-bar price list from the Jewel. I'm pretty sure the fridge contents are fleet-wide.

IMG_5949.jpg

I don't mean to hijack, and this is related, so I hope no one minds me piggybacking my question here.

I do not drink soda at home at all anymore (Arizona tea addiction), but I don't carry on anything to drink. I drink the tea from the dispensers on board most of the time, but I have found that I will want to drink a soda or two while in my cabin. I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience.

For the first time, I am sharing a suite rather than getting my own cabin. So, my question is, on which of our sail and sign cards will the cost for the mini-bar beverages be charged?

It is a chartered cruise, and our reservations are through a TA, but my mother and I are each independently paying for our "half". Obviously, we will each need our own account in order to purchase drinks, etc., and I don't see it being an issue throughout the ship b/c we will sign, but we will likely both take things from the mini-bar. Is this just something we will have to settle up between ourselves at the end of the cruise? It ought not be more than $20 or so, so not a big deal. I just wondered how it is handled.

Thanks!

I don't mean to hijack, and this is related, so I hope no one minds me piggybacking my question here.

I do not drink soda at home at all anymore (Arizona tea addiction), but I don't carry on anything to drink. I drink the tea from the dispensers on board most of the time, but I have found that I will want to drink a soda or two while in my cabin. I don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience.

For the first time, I am sharing a suite rather than getting my own cabin. So, my question is, on which of our sail and sign cards will the cost for the mini-bar beverages be charged?

It is a chartered cruise, and our reservations are through a TA, but my mother and I are each independently paying for our "half". Obviously, we will each need our own account in order to purchase drinks, etc., and I don't see it being an issue throughout the ship b/c we will sign, but we will likely both take things from the mini-bar. Is this just something we will have to settle up between ourselves at the end of the cruise? It ought not be more than $20 or so, so not a big deal. I just wondered how it is handled.

Thanks!

You will just fill out the above slip for whatever each of you drinks and it will go on the corresponding account.

You will just fill out the above slip for whatever each of you drinks and it will go on the corresponding account.

Well, duh. That makes sense, if I put my name on the slip, doesn't it? Sorry to appear dense. I never actually filled one of those out. In the past, I drank what I wanted, the room steward noted and charged my account, and restocked what I had taken. I guess if we just put our name down in accordance with what we consume, it will be easy enough to get the charges on the right card. Thank you for the response. :)

Well, duh. That makes sense, if I put my name on the slip, doesn't it? Sorry to appear dense. I never actually filled one of those out. In the past, I drank what I wanted, the room steward noted and charged my account, and restocked what I had taken. :)

Very surprised they could charge something to your account without you signing for it?? :confused: Except for the DSC of course.

Very surprised they could charge something to your account without you signing for it?? :confused: Except for the DSC of course.

Well, I am absolutely positive I did not fill out a slip for any of the sodas I drank, and I don't know that I ever checked, but I am sure they charged me for them. I don't think they restocked just out of kindness. ;)

Don't parents complain that their children get into the mini-bar and drink the sodas, running up unplanned expenses? I think if you take something from the mini bar, it is a given you will be charged. Otherwise, people could just say, well I didn't sign for it, so I didn't drink it?

Only reason I mentioned the idea about having to 'sign' for it is... Our room steward came to us last year and asked for us to sign for used items out of the mini-bar.... otherwise - he would be charged for them.

Archived