24 hour anything?

misssea

We will be sailing on the zaandam in July. Is there any food available 24 hours? I assume room service is but what is on their room service menu? I am asking because I have an 8 year old who is always hungry!

We will be sailing on the zaandam in July. Is there any food available 24 hours? I assume room service is but what is on their room service menu? I am asking because I have an 8 year old who is always hungry!

Yes -- Basic items, chesse plate, sandwiches, & etc.

Suggest you pick up some boxed items (cereal) at bkfst for later.

I am sure someone will post the menu, Sorry I don't have a copy.

Ray

I grew up in a different era, I guess. :) Eating whenever I wanted to as a kid was never an option: you ate at the appropriate times. There was no way my parents would have ordered food for me at 2 am. :O

I am posting this not as a criticism of the OP; I am just comparing it to what to was like when I was 8 - and most lilely eating a lot too (with limits). :)

I grew up in a different era, I guess. :) Eating whenever I wanted to as a kid was never an option: you ate at the appropriate times. There was no way my parents would have ordered food for me at 2 am. :O

I am posting this not as a criticism of the OP; I am just comparing it to what to was like when I was 8 - and most lilely eating a lot too (with limits). :)

I have five grandchildren, Peter, and they go to bed at the appropriate hour and don't eat again until breakfast. Same as me...same as my children. So...take heart...I think you and I are more the "norm". ;)

I have five grandchildren, Peter, and they go to bed at the appropriate hour and don't eat again until breakfast. Same as me...same as my children. So...take heart...I think you and I are more the "norm". ;)

That's how I grew up also. :)

Here is the Room Service Menu:

There are only 3 types of pizzas that you can order from room service:

Available 24 hours:

Smoked Atlantic Salmon - pickled red onion, capers & cream cheese

Mesclun Garden Greens - tomato, cucumber, alfalfa sprouts & blue cheese crumbles

Triple Decker Club Sandwich - sliced turkey, ham, bacon, tomato & lettuce served on toasted bread of your choice

All American Hamburger - broiled 1/4 pound beef patty on a sesame bun with dill pickle & coleslaw - add cheddar or Swiss cheese

Open faced Omelet - ham & cheese or vegetables

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Apple tart with whipped cream

Chocolate cake with raspberry sauce

A plate of chocolate chip cookies with a glass of milk

Fruit salad - selected fruits in season

Available from 12 noon until 10 PM:

Appetizers & Soups:

Bay shrimp cocktail with cocktail sauce

Smoked Atlantic Salmon

French onion soup baked with Gruyere cheese

Soup of the day

Salads:

Mesclun Garden Greens

Chef salad - mixed greens, ham, salami, swiss cheese, turkey, hard boiled egg - choice of Italian or blue cheese dressing

Caesar salad - tossed with Caesar dressing, croutons & parmesan - add bay shrimp or grilled chicken breast

Sandwiches & Burgers:

All are served with a choice of potato salad or potato chips

Triple decker club sandwich

Broiled California chicken breast sandwich on multi=grain bread with avocado & honey mustard sauce

Grilled tuna melt - tuna salad & Swiss cheese on rye bread with pickle spears

Thai Vegetarian wrap - eggplant, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts & cilantro rolled with rice & green curry sauce in a tomato tortilla

Steak sandwich - sirloin steak on sourdough bread sauteed with onion & bell pepper

All American Hamburger

Entrees:

Seared salmon steak - dill-lime fusion, broccoli florets, carrot batonnet & country mashed potatoes

Penne Primavera - tossed in marinara sauce with Italian roasted vegetables - add grilled chicken breast

Pizza:

margarita (tomato sauce & cheese)

Pepperoni

Vegetarian (mushroom & bell pepper)

Desserts:

Apple tart

Chocolate cake

Creme caramel surrounded in berry compote

Fruit jello

fruit salad

Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce

Selection of assorted cheese with crackers

Or maybe more of a certain age. :D

Not to take this too far OT, but a few years ago I was in a local fish store in Park Slope Brooklyn when I overheard a mother say to her 4-year old daughter (age estimated): "Now do you want salmon or tuna for dinner?" I am still shaking my head over that one; for us it was "eat your fish". :D

Now I do recall one vacation when I was probably about 12 -14: we were staying in a seaside hotel and my nephew (just 2 years younger than me) were in one room and my parents and sister were in another room. Afternoon tea was a big thing - served on a terrace overlooking the ocean - but my nephew and I decided it was much more fun to order ours tea and cake (or scones with jam and cream) from room service! My parents did not have a conniption about it, thought it rather funny and we never abused the treat.

Also thinking back about that vacation, we ate in the dining room form a set menu with choices and my nephew and I would regularly start from the top - appetizer, fish, main course (sometimes ordering a plate "combined" i.e. two different meats e.g. chicken and lamb) only to restart at the top at times! One time we may have gone to desert and back to main course. The waiters were always accommodating and found it entertaining. We both were as thin as rails at the time. And we never even thought of ordering room service after hours.

Right -- I had to go to bed at a certain -- back a couple of centuries ago :D -- and no snacking after dinner until breakfast the next morning.

We eat 3 meals a day and nothing after dinner at home but when on vacation, its not always easy to adhere to normalcy. I am certainly not planning on getting him food at 2 am, I am sure he will be in bed by 9 or 10. I was just wondering what was available just in case the situation arose. He's also skinny as a rail so I don't worry about him overheating.

That is the way I was brought up too. My mother would have passed out it I asked for a burger or anything hot late in the evening. Hope OP remembers to tip the steward delivering the food.:)

My children were brought up to eat the 3 squares and a small snack after school when they were younger. I wish my husband had been brought up that way!! He's nothing but junk food from the time he finishes dinner until it's time to go to bed and his health shows it.

I do think a cruise is the perfect vacation for hungry kids. Our first cruise my son was 14 and the 3rd person in the cabin with us (reduced rate) and he more than ate the cost of the cruise fare during that one week :D

I don't think it's a child that was being referred to.... anyone who has raised a ravenous teenager (where do they put all that food?), especially older teens and young 20's in their own cabin where they can do their own ordering.... will understand that they often can order all kinds of food at all hours.

Let's just answer the question and not be judgmental or go on about what we did in our day.... we'll sound like our parents, LOL.

We eat 3 meals a day and nothing after dinner at home but when on vacation, its not always easy to adhere to normalcy. I am certainly not planning on getting him food at 2 am, I am sure he will be in bed by 9 or 10. I was just wondering what was available just in case the situation arose. He's also skinny as a rail so I don't worry about him overheating.

Cool :) Ah, those were the days when I was that skinny and could everything in sight. :(

I don't think it's a child that was being referred to.... anyone who has raised a ravenous teenager (where do they put all that food?), especially older teens and young 20's in their own cabin where they can do their own ordering.... will understand that they often can order all kinds of food at all hours.

Let's just answer the question and not be judgmental or go on about what we did in our day.... we'll sound like our parents, LOL.

OP said it was an 8-year old. ;)

I wasn't trying to bee (too) judgmental. As for sounding like our parents... I lost that battle a long time ago. The shocking thing was realizing one day that the roles reversed: I spoke like the parent and my mother like the child! :eek:

OP said it was an 8-year old. ;)

I wasn't trying to bee (too) judgmental. As for sounding like our parents... I lost that battle a long time ago. The shocking thing was realizing one day that the roles reversed: I spoke like the parent and my mother like the child! :eek:

But the OP didn't say the 8 yr old would order food in the middle of the night! It was mentioned in another post.

And I hear you about role reversal... my kids (let's be clear, the youngest is 42!) seem to think I have no brain:rolleyes:

But the OP didn't say the 8 yr old would order food in the middle of the night!

Right. I never assumed she meant in the middle of the night. My first thought was maybe the child wakes up early before breakfast starts.....hey, I wake up early too, so I think that way. :D

LOL. My 3 are 50, 48 and 46. We can't figure out how they got so brilliant when they now think we are so incompetent. We did bring them up after all. :rolleyes:

That made me laugh, you are sooo right. Makes you wonder how on earth we managed to raise them at all. The one I love is "oh you wouldn't understand" when they were having issues with their teenagers. Oh hello.... we had teenagers once as well:D

Now my grandchildren are in their 20's but at least they tend not to think that Granny is ga-ga - yet, thank goodness. So we get a little credit from that quarter.

But the OP didn't say the 8 yr old would order food in the middle of the night! It was mentioned in another post.

When I saw the OP's post all I knew was OP asking about 24-hour food available and stating that "I am asking because I have an 8 year old who is always hungry!"

I drew a conclusion and responded in a way that I hoped was not seen as being overly critical; I guess I failed. ;)

And I hear you about role reversal... my kids (let's be clear, the youngest is 42!) seem to think I have no brain:rolleyes:

Oh, my experience was not in a similar vein, it was more like my mother asking me what she should do and me responding with giving her my opinion but then adding the dreaded "but do whatever you think is right". :)

I'd love to take advantage of room service at night (I'm on vacation so should be able to enjoy all the services) but found I was so full last cruise we didn't even want to think of eating that late.

This time I think I might just skip lunch :D

I have cruised on 4 cruises with Carnival so I am used to what they offer. This will be my first time on HAL and my son's first cruise ever so I am just asking questions to gain any information I can regarding HAL.

Archived