cruise in Rome

vacances

our first cruise out of the US, which will take place in Rome (civitavecchia) on 5/10 and return on 5/21 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

We haven't bought the flight tickets yet, should we buy a one way ticket from the US to Rome, then from Denmark back to the US? Or should we buy a round trip ticket to Rome, then try to get back from Denmark to Rome on 5/21 in order to fly home?

Please help!

You best bet is to buy an "open jaw" ticket. If you look at it as a triangle US to Rome to Copenhagan to US. You will not fly the middle leg. That is usually the cheapest way.

I hope you are sailing next year. At this point, flights for next month are probably expensive.

Two one-way tickets will be expensive, so will adding a connecting flight. But you can buy "open jaw" returns (often also called "multi-city flights" or something similar) - fly out from your US city to Rome & return to the same city from, say, Copenhagen.

As long as you book both ways as a single purchase with the same airline (or possibly airline partners) the cost will be midway between the two return fares.

Check out which airlines fly between your US city & both of the european cities & look on their website for the magic phrase "open jaw"

JB :)

Thank you so much Paul & John. Will consider your advice. Our cruise will take place in 2 weeks.

Ouch :eek:

You may find that this close to your date all flights are expensive. And with the cruise already booked you have no alternative but to find the best prices that you can.

We always book cruise & flights at the same time, though not necessarily from the same source - not committing to the one without the other because value-for-money of course depends on the total cost. Late cruise bargains are often cancelled out by late airfares being high.

If home commitments don't limit you, check prices for flying out a day or two earlier or back a few days later - hotel costs etc may be covered by lower airfares.

Fingers crossed for you ;)

JB :)

And if you aren't real particular on your flights, you might try priceline dot com and see if they allow "bid your own price" for your routing. I have gotten airfare to Paris for $450 and Budapest for $650. But be careful, once you input your credit card info and bid, if your bid is accepted, your card is charged and there are no refunds or changes allowed.

Instead of "open jaw", I always look for "multi-city" flights. Good Luck!

And have a great trip!

With your flight in two weeks, you may not find many (any?) discount fares available. They usually require at least 3 week advance purchase. Airlines know that most people who purchase at the last minute have to be somewhere and are less concerned with the price.

our first cruise out of the US, which will take place in Rome (civitavecchia) on 5/10 and return on 5/21 in Copenhagen, Denmark.

We haven't bought the flight tickets yet, should we buy a one way ticket from the US to Rome, then from Denmark back to the US? Or should we buy a round trip ticket to Rome, then try to get back from Denmark to Rome on 5/21 in order to fly home?

Please help!

Go to this site:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Choose "multicity" option and plug in your cities and dates. I don't know your departure city, so I just guessed. I see IND-FCO, leaving 09 May on DL, and returning 21 May, CPH-IND for $1173.30 on DL, which is not really a bad price, considering you are booking at such a late date. You can search for this on DL's webpage. Also, I see the same dates and routing on UA for $1208. Make sure to sign up for the frequent flyer program for whatever airline you choose, and add your frequent flyer number to your reservation so you earn miles for this trip.

Please book directly with the airline and don't use a third party site, such as CheapoAir.com, Vayama, etc.! I would not bother with "name your own price" for air tickets on Priceline for this trip. I see very few reports of successful bidding for airfare; flights are flying pretty full and the airline has no reason to release many cheap seats to PL. And, if you are not a frequent traveler, you are much safer not having a consolidator fare. Stick with booking with the airlines.

Try 1800flyeurope.com as well. We have found good prices from them.

Yes, and those are consolidator tickets, which are fine if you know what you are purchasing. Many people have no idea about restrictions that come with consolidator tickets.

Please help!

When doing cruises such as that, I use the 'multi-city' option.

Your home airport to Rome would be first city flight, then

Copenhagen to your home airport would be second city flight.

Archived