Help! We so want to go on this cruise, but...

gmros

It is very expensive! The inside cabin starts at $1949+ taxes & fees per person. I haven't booked a cruise this expensive before. It is the Holy Land Cruise on Silhouette on 10/4/14.

I would like to ask for any tips (as in anything) you can give me to save on this cruise (e.g. when to book, who to book tours with, promotions, etc). Please please please :o Thank you!

Unfortunately Celebrity has resorted to overcharging for staterooms on many cruises for people who book prior to final payment; now that they no longer permit price drops or OBC after final payment, they then tend to drastically reduce pricing after final payment. I had booked the Holy Land cruise in 2011 very early and was grandfathered in for post final payment price drops; sure enough just after final payment they dropped prices by about 50%. I was booked on Baltics for May of this year (again I booked real early) but ended up canceling as I had a feeling prices would plummet after final payment. Glad I did, prices dropped MORE than 50% after final payment from what I have paid. While I do not blame Celebrity for trying to maximize profits, I am very unhappy with their current pricing trends (I am not able to book vacations on short notice) and as such 2013 is the first year I am not doing a cruise since 2004. The best advice I can offer you is to wait until after final payment to book and there is an excellent chance you will pay about half the price.

Greetings

One of my sites shows $1979 for a balcony. Expensive, but that may be a better deal than $1949 inside. The 18 Oct cruise is shown for $100 less than the 04 Oct.

There is a lot of time before that cruise. You can wait and see if Celebrity has another big sale or you can book now and hope to get a better deal before final payment day.

I don't think there is any magic way of getting the price lowered. If it is a popular cruise and Celebrity can get that rate, they will charge that rate.

Good Sailing

Tom

As other posters have said, you're booking too far in advance.

The only reason to book an inside cabin now for 2014 at that price is because you are very specific about the particular cabin you want.

Cabin Guarantees after final payments will be a better deal if you can go with whatever is offered.

Usually, non-refundable airfare this far in advance is more expensive than the 6 month period leading to your preferred cruise date. A Holy Land cruise should be with insuremytrip.com selected cruise insurance booked within a time period of initial booking for a pre-existing condition. The insurance is essential and non-refundable. More costs to consider on top of your initial cruise only expenses.

Hopefully, I've opened a few topics that posters more in the know can clarify.

-Marisa

At least you appear to be from the East Coast. We live in Southern California and the airfare has jumped dramatically. And unless the air traffic and customs/passport control situation gets resolved soon, many travels will miss their International connections. So for now, we are staying in the U.S. and closer to home and with one stop flights.

Based on my experiences, wait until the fall to book and then wait for the possible price reductions prior to final payment. We booked our 13 night Oct 2013 Adriatic last November and paid $1949 each for a C2. This was through one of the Travel agencies Cruise Critic recommends even though we not allowed to identify the site in our posts. If fact, CC sent an e-mail this morning announcing this agency's summer Europe specials.

Based on my experiences, wait until the fall to book and then wait for the possible price reductions prior to final payment. We booked our 13 night Oct 2013 Adriatic last November and paid $1949 each for a C2. This was through one of the Travel agencies Cruise Critic recommends even though we not allowed to identify the site in our posts. If fact, CC sent an e-mail this morning announcing this agency's summer Europe specials.

The major price drops these days occur AFTER final payment. On many itineraries price drops of over 50% are occurring soon after final payment. FYI I do not believe that Cruise Critic recommends travel agencies, but agencies pay to advertise on and via Cruise Critic. Cruise Critic is actually owned by a travel agency, so it is doubtful they would recommend other travel agencies!

Over a year ago, I booked four X cruises on a promotion that offered OBC (not 123).

I follow pricing on my booked cruises and take advantage of any price drops before final payment.

Two of my cruises have experienced price drips prior to final payment.

1, A TA from FLL to Harwich, UK. I gambled with a guaranteed veranda and did very well, and kept my OBC,

2. The British Isles cruise from Harwich (B2B). Prices dropped a little after final payment, but I called and go a free upgrade to AQua.

3. A Black Sea cruise out of Istanbul in September. The cruise turned out to be very popular and priced just went up and up. The cruise is sold out except for insides.

4, Around the Horm for Buenos Aurea next January, prices just keep going up. We shall see, but I doubt if the cruise will go below what I paid for it over a year ago.

The strategy of booking later would not have helped me, unless for number 2, I waited until after final payment. I could have gambled on that and saved about $400 on a cabin, but not have been able to plan ahead on my airfare.

I believe booking early is best, unless you can drive to the port and not be concerned about arranging air.

Same with us - Booked Baltic and the Med in Mar/12 16 months out. About 8 months out caught a balcony for inside sale. The prices have regularly/steadily increased and on the Med cruise they are now offering a cheap balcony guarantee which is still more than I am paying. The Baltic has totally skyrocketed and I wouldn't be able to afford that cruise now. Booked the Millie B2B Asia cruise 13 months out (Dec) - was able to add the 123 in Jan and the price has just started to move up. We are very happy with booking early so far - I am sure at some point we may find prices have dropped below what we have paid but will probably do an upgrade then. Everyone that looks at the last minute prices should figure out what they were originally and they might realize that it is not always such a good deal.

In answer to the OP - if it was an itinerary that we really wanted, we would book it and then closely monitor the pricing and specials and jump on them when it happens. Noticed today when price checking that there was a "Happy Hour" pricing on one of our cruises! Never seen that before. Just checked and it is not there now.

Same with us - Booked Baltic and the Med in Mar/12 16 months out. About 8 months out caught a balcony for inside sale. The prices have regularly/steadily increased and on the Med cruise they are now offering a cheap balcony guarantee which is still more than I am paying. The Baltic has totally skyrocketed and I wouldn't be able to afford that cruise now. Booked the Millie B2B Asia cruise 13 months out (Dec) - was able to add the 123 in Jan and the price has just started to move up. We are very happy with booking early so far - I am sure at some point we may find prices have dropped below what we have paid but will probably do an upgrade then. Everyone that looks at the last minute prices should figure out what they were originally and they might realize that it is not always such a good deal.

In answer to the OP - if it was an itinerary that we really wanted, we would book it and then closely monitor the pricing and specials and jump on them when it happens. Noticed today when price checking that there was a "Happy Hour" pricing on one of our cruises! Never seen that before. Just checked and it is not there now.

The Baltic has skyrocketed? When it first came out for the June 22nd sailing partially obstructed balconies were selling for about $3600 per/person. Now Aqua Class is $2564 and a balcony can be had for $2026. The post final payment drops were even more massive for the May 25th Baltic (the one I was booked on). Suites are now selling for less than what I paid for a 2C (partially obstructed balcony). Only Xpedition cruises and cruises that visit infrequently cruised to ports seem like they consistently have price increases after bookings open.

Celebrity is trying to have those that book early subsidize the bottom barrel prices they offer post payment to fill the ship (by overcharging those who book early). Booking early used to be mutually advantageous (Celebrity got to put your deposit to use well in advance and the customer was guaranteed the lowest pricing and choice of stateroom). Now they are punishing and using those that book early. I am not going to play that game.

If you really want that cruise and feel okay with the price, then book it. If the price is too high, then wait until you find a cruise with a price that is good for you. years ago, I knew to either book very early or very late. Now it's not that easy. Instead, I get emails from several online agents or list my desired cruise with an online service that has many agents competing. I never book a cruise that exceeds my budget. Be flexible. Perhaps a change of dates, ship, or cruise line could be a way to get a cheaper cruise. Consider a different category of cabin. Check all cabin categories. It doesn't always follow that the insides are the lowest priced. I have booked verandas that were less than oceanviews. I have also booked oceanviews instead of a veranda and saved money. Also, since you posted on Celebrity's forum, be sure to check out the Tuesday specials. I have booked those deals and saved money. Remember, a cruise is a luxury. It is not a must have. Wait until you see a good fit for you....and then book. Prices change often.

The Baltic has skyrocketed? When it first came out for the June 22nd sailing partially obstructed balconies were selling for about $3600 per/person. Now Aqua Class is $2564 and a balcony can be had for $2026. The post final payment drops were even more massive for the May 25th Baltic (the one I was booked on). Suites are now selling for less than what I paid for a 2C (partially obstructed balcony). Only Xpedition cruises and cruises that visit infrequently cruised to ports seem like they consistently have price increases after bookings open.

Celebrity is trying to have those that book early subsidize the bottom barrel prices they offer post payment to fill the ship (by overcharging those who book early). Booking early used to be mutually advantageous (Celebrity got to put your deposit to use well in advance and the customer was guaranteed the lowest pricing and choice of stateroom). Now they are punishing and using those that book early. I am not going to play that game.

I am paying maybe $200 more than the x Guaranty on the 22nd plus I have ALL of the 123 promos and we are in a 2C. On the Silhouette sailing in 4 weeks we are in a perfect 2B for $200 less than the "Happy Hour" X Guarantee. Works for me!

Gonzo70 Nailed it! Great advice. 100% correct.

Plan for the cruise but wait to book until after final payment. The price WILL drop. You may not get the cabin grade you want but you'll be on the ship.

We had a wonderful cruise in 2011 to the holy land when she was brand new and loved it.

We paid $1360 all-in minus gratuities for a concierge class balcony for comparison. Brochure prices were probably double that.

By the time I booked, Egypt was cancelled but four days in Israel was great. Be aware that ports do get cancelled sometimes, and this unrest only helps those willing to book three months out as many get cold feet.

Lots of tour companies to choose from, we did private tours with Avi-Tours and were very happy with them. Tours in Israel aren't cheap as the gas prices are very high. This is one more reason to save on your fare by booking late.

Too bad the Celebrity pricing model has followed HALs but we play their game and have saved money doing so.

I hope you take the cruise and have amazing trip like we did.

The major price drops these days occur AFTER final payment. On many itineraries price drops of over 50% are occurring soon after final payment.

Not always. Our Oct 2012 Med cruise on Reflection dropped almost 50% from the time we initially booked the cruise 18 months in advance to just before final payment, from $2899 pp to $1549 pp. We simply monitored the prices and whenever a price drop occurred, we called our TA and she got us the lower price. Since we only had to pay the deposit until the final payment date, the price fluctuations had no effect on us until the price at the final payment date. After final payment, prices only went down less than $100 per person, not the dramatic drops you suggest.

All in all, I would say we did pretty good. And every cruise we have taken has had basically the same price profile. We booked early at the advertised price, prices went down and we took advantage of this, and the prices didn't drop much more after final payment. One cruise did see price increases after the lowest it went, but by then we were locked in to the lowest price so it did not affect us. We live on the west coast so we need to plan ahead to get the best airfares, which severely limits our flexibility for taking advantage of last minute cruise bookings.

However, I'm sure some cruise prices behaved different.

I booked our Baltic cruise as soon as they were released. We got a good price on 2 cabins. They then went up slowing to $1200(Aust) more per cabin. Now these cabins are sold out. I'm glad that we booked early and got the connecting cabins that we needed.

Thank you for everyone's help! I know it's very early, so I guess right now I'll just take note of price trends for flights and hotels for October season so I have basis for prices. Starting to research on Rome and the ports as well.

I've noticed that the 10/18/14 sailing is $100 cheaper. Unfortunately, my husband is not going on this cruise and his birthday is on the 20th so I'm stuck at home :p

Archived