port of new york info please.

porrah

I am looking at a Canada/New England cruise which sails from New york. All the cruises I have done have left from Port Everglades, so we fly into FLL the day before. I am an expert at getting to the cruise terminal and visiting Total Wine.

However, New York is a new situation. I have two questions.

1. Which airport is the closest to the cruise port and is it easy to get from one to the other? Independent or do you need a transfer?

2. Is there a store to buy wine near the port, or en route.

You will need to find out where the ship sails from. JFK and La Guardia are fine for Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn or for the NY Passenger Ship Terminal on the West Side between 50th & 57th Streets.... not so hand if you are sailing out of Newark Terminal.

Newark airport of fine for Newark terminal and West Sude piers but no so handy for Red Hook in Brooklyn.

To be honest, fly to the airport that is easiest for your air travel.... then get into Manhattan (midtown) for a night on the town then if you are joining a ship at the West Side piers... 10 to 15 minutes. Red Hook perhaps 20 to 30 minutes and Newark... is about 45 minutes.

If you stay in mid town Manhattan you will find any number of place to but wines etc.... and all with easy walking distance.

If you have never been to NY... do yourself a favour... fly in two day early sso you can get a full day of sightseeing and touring the city before you embark. New York is one of the best ports of call that you could ever hope to visit.... and so is Boston!!!

Stephen

For fares.... it is going to be around $65 from JFK into the city. From Mid town to the ship.... $10 max.

I don't know if a transfer would be any better price overall and probably not as convenient as a taxi.

Stephen

1. Which airport is the closest to the cruise port and is it easy to get from one to the other? Independent or do you need a transfer?

What cruise line?

I think LGA is a little closer to the 12th Ave/50th St piers than JFK. Taxis are far easier than HAL transfers and probably cheaper. Don't take the "flat rate" fare option. They will avoid the toll bridge so it's a longer ride, and comes out to just about the same cost as "metered", even with the bridge toll added.

edit:

For fares.... it is going to be around $65 from JFK into the city. From Mid town to the ship.... $10 max.
The last time we went from the Veendam (12th Ave) to LGA two years ago it was about $35 including the toll ... but that was a Sunday morning.

What cruise line?

I think LGA is a little closer to the 12th Ave/50th St piers than JFK. Taxis are far easier than HAL transfers and probably cheaper. Don't take the "flat rate" fare option. They will avoid the toll bridge so it's a longer ride, and comes out to just about the same cost as "metered", even with the bridge toll added.

edit:

The last time we went from the Veendam (12th Ave) to LGA two years ago it was about $35 including the toll ... but that was a Sunday morning.

For sure La Guardia is closer, but as you know, not all flights are heading for LGA.

When I fly into JFK I opt for the fastest ride into the city... not necessarily the cheapest. I also do something that I know I'm not supposed to do.... take unmarked taxis, but hey, I have had some great rides including on trip in a long stretched diplomatic car with some strange flag flying on the front. :-) He charged the same fare as a taxi and I gave him double because we never stopped and it was a real blast!

I've been visiting NY and using taxis there for forty years. Only once did a have an experience with a driver I didn't care for. The rest have always been completely honest and good guys.... from USSR, Poland, Haiti, India, Pakistan... Bronx.

I always think Flat Fate is best because it covers the whole of Manhattan. On the meter the price could vary quite a bit depending on where in the city you are heading.

Stephen

<snip>

I've been visiting NY and using taxis there for forty years. Only once did a have an experience with a driver I didn't care for. The rest have always been completely honest and good guys.... from USSR, Poland, Haiti, India, Pakistan... Bronx. <snip>

Stephen

And I bet the one from the Bronx was the hardest to understand....:D;)

Seems it is often about lunch time when we arrive in NYC and I get a kick out of seeing what the driver is eating for lunch as they have their styrofoam take out box leaning on the steering wheel and could be eating red beans and rice, chicken jerk or things I can't identify. We have never had a bad experience in a taxi...... not to say it can't happen. ;) :D Wonderful/colorful.

I'd like the ride Topsham enjoyed in the stretch. Now that could be a hoot!!! ;)

What cruise line?

If it is HAL, the ship will dock at the West Side piers in Manhattan. The only ships that regularly dock in Brooklyn are the QM2 and Princess ships. HAL does not use the Bayonne, NJ terminal.

I am not so sure that you can opt out of the flat rate fare on a NYC taxi. The flat rate does not include the tolls, you pay it on to of the flat rate:

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter.
A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

If it is HAL, the ship will dock at the West Side piers in Manhattan. The only ships that regularly dock in Brooklyn are the QM2 and Princess ships. HAL does not use the Bayonne, NJ terminal.

I am not so sure that you can opt out of the flat rate fare on a NYC taxi. The flat rate does not include the tolls, you pay it on to of the flat rate:

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter.
A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

I don't recall......

Is there a luggage charge?

Seems it is often about lunch time when we arrive in NYC and I get a kick out of seeing what the driver is eating for lunch as they have their styrofoam take out box leaning on the steering wheel and could be eating red beans and rice, chicken jerk or things I can't identify. We have never had a bad experience in a taxi...... not to say it can't happen. ;) :D Wonderful/colorful.

I'd like the ride Topsham enjoyed in the stretch. Now that could be a hoot!!! ;)

We`ve been taken on the `scenic ride` against our wishes in a NY taxi. We now use dial7 limo service. Their prices are equal or better than some taxi rates and any traffic backups or scenic detours will not affect the price we pay. A clean Lincoln Town Car into NYC is the bees knees. :)

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is the Eurodam. leaving on a Monday, and I think the only info available for departure is New York - I don't recall anything more specific. As it is only a short flight, and not the time of year prone to snow storms (I won't mention hurricanes!) we would probably fly in the same morning. What about a wine place? DH can't do without his wine for the balcony. We usually pick up a box and take the bladder out amd put it in the checked luggage - much easier to transport that way.

Just some info on NYS liquor laws - if you come in on a Sunday you won't be able to buy any wine until after noon, every other day of the week is 9am.

JFK is the farthest away from the pier but they do offer flat rate taxis into Manhattan.

Check out the East Coast departures board as there are a lot of people who frequently sail out of NYC there.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It is the Eurodam. leaving on a Monday, and I think the only info available for departure is New York - I don't recall anything more specific. As it is only a short flight, and not the time of year prone to snow storms (I won't mention hurricanes!) we would probably fly in the same morning. What about a wine place? DH can't do without his wine for the balcony. We usually pick up a box and take the bladder out amd put it in the checked luggage - much easier to transport that way.

It is not just local storms that may delay or cancel your flight; major disruptions elsewhere can have a domino effect. Then there are always mechanical problems that can happen to a plane or airport (as one of the Canadian regulars here found out recently).

As Lindsay mentioned, you cannot buy wine before Noon and there isn't much close to the cruise terminal. There are a couple of liquor stores on 9th and 10th Avenue in the high 40's and low 50's (the cruise terminal is on 12th Avenue around 48th Street)

Don't take the "flat rate" fare option. They will avoid the toll bridge so it's a longer ride, and comes out to just about the same cost as "metered", even with the bridge toll added.

Not true. The toll is not included in either the flat rate (which is only from JFK, not LaGuardia) or metered fares, so there's no reason for the driver to avoid either the Tri-Borough bridge or the Queens Midtown Tunnel. If an individual driver of a yellow cab offers you his own "flat rate" anywhere but to or from JFK, without using the meter, he's breaking the law.

I am not so sure that you can opt out of the flat rate fare on a NYC taxi.

Two years ago we were asked at LGA if we wanted the flat rate and we said yes. For the return trip we were again asked and we said we'd take the meter. The price was just about the same both ways, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Going in was on a Sat and return on a Sun.

Two years ago we were asked at LGA if we wanted the flat rate and we said yes. For the return trip we were again asked and we said we'd take the meter. The price was just about the same both ways, but I don't remember exactly what it was. Going in was on a Sat and return on a Sun.

Currently the only flat rate in effect is from JFK to Manhattan (other than a flat rate for groups from LGA to the Midtown area, which excludes the cruise terminal) - there may have been LGA flat rates before. I guess they could ask if you'd prefer either but since toll are always extra, it doesn't play a role and the flat rate option may be the best option.

We once flew into Newark to go to Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

We were met by a town car and driver and it was fine. We were at the terminal smoothly and in probably around 30 minutes. (Someone else paid the fare so we have no idea how much it was.)

Archived