Horizon's reincarnation as Island Star

DAJ

Thanks for the info. A little exciting and sad...nice that new life is going to the Horizon but wish it was as originally planned, as a Celebrity ship. Weird to see cabins where America's Cup lounge is...spent many a pre-dinner hour there sharing conversation and drinks. Ah, life moves on!

Thanks DAJ for pointing this information out. After seeing how the new owners are cramming in extra cabins in the America's Cup Lounge, Kids Playroom, and on Deck 3 where the crew was, you can appreciate Celebrity's favorable passenger to space ratio.

Unless I am reading it wrong, it appears that the balcony cabins when the ship is converted will not include 1074 which currently has the prototype balcony already built.

Hi Rob. I doubt whether there will be a linked loyalty program with Isand Cruises. They cater for a very different market and I would think RCI will keep them quite separate.

Phil

That's what I am thinking. RCCL only owns half of Island Cruises.

Unless I am reading it wrong, it appears that the balcony cabins when the ship is converted will not include 1074 which currently has the prototype balcony already built.

David, I might be looking at the picture wrongly, but I thought there were going to be more balconies on the Atlantic deck cabins than is shown.

Phil

For anyone who may be interested, you can see Horizon in her planned new livery, a cross section and deck plans at islandcruises.com

Hi Daj !

I always keep thinking about Horizon. Does anyone else ever wonder, why RCI and Celebrity did not keep Horizon for themselves, fix her up (similar to Century), and let her do Cruises overseas ? I think it would have been a perfect idea. I also believe that Horizon would have been a great fit for the previously planned (and now cancelled) Asia sailings.

I wonder if Celebrity's New Management is regretting the former Management's decision ?

David, I might be looking at the picture wrongly, but I thought there were going to be more balconies on the Atlantic deck cabins than is shown.

Phil

Phil,

You are probably right--that is what I thought I had read earlier, too.

Hi Daj !

I always keep thinking about Horizon. Does anyone else ever wonder, why RCI and Celebrity did not keep Horizon for themselves, fix her up (similar to Century), and let her do Cruises overseas ? I think it would have been a perfect idea. I also believe that Horizon would have been a great fit for the previously planned (and now cancelled) Asia sailings.

I wonder if Celebrity's New Management is regretting the former Management's decision ?

From what I understand RCCL still owns the ships used by Island Cruises, they just lease them out. But yeah I agree Horizon would have been a great fit for Asia.

Hi Gail. Budget Med cruises, with a largely British slant to the experience. Island Escape does a Transatlantic later in the year too as I think she winters in South America. There has been a series on TV about her and she obviously provides a good value holiday, but this is NOT Celebrity or RCCL.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Archived