5K Oh what did I do

ozarkmama

Just registered for my first ever 5K in August with my 24 year old daughter. Now keep in mind that I have never, ever been a runner. I am sure I have never run a mile in my life (although I can walk forever). We are going to start the couch to 5 K this week. We will only be able to train together on Mondays and Fridays due to conflicting work schedules.

Oh, what did I get myself into??? :eek:

If you've never ran I would suggest you a book like "The beginner's guide to long distance running." It has different training schedules based on where you are now and it builds you up to longer distances. Congrats on deciding to take on the challenge of a 5k. Don't think that everyone in a 5k is in super shape. I've seen people who run marathons to people out of shape trying it for the first time. Go for it!

Just registered for my first ever 5K in August with my 24 year old daughter.

Oh, what did I get myself into??? :eek:

You got yourself into something Very Good! Work your way up to things, but stay at it. :):)

I just completed the couch to 5K program with my now 9 year old son. Three months ago, he couldn't run for 5 min in a row - last Tuesday on his 9th birthday, he ran his first 5k in 31 minutes (talking most of the time :D).

We used the Zombies run app - they have both a regular run and a couch to 5K program that really motivated him for runs, so find something that works for you. You will feel great!

I just completed the couch to 5K program with my now 9 year old son. Three months ago, he couldn't run for 5 min in a row - last Tuesday on his 9th birthday, he ran his first 5k in 31 minutes (talking most of the time :D).

We used the Zombies run app - they have both a regular run and a couch to 5K program that really motivated him for runs, so find something that works for you. You will feel great!

What is the Zombies Run app? Do they have it for Android phones? I think a Zombies running app could even motivate my tired fanny being as I am a huge "Walking Dead" fan.

[/color]

What is the Zombies Run app? Do they have it for Android phones? I think a Zombies running app could even motivate my tired fanny being as I am a huge "Walking Dead" fan.

It is available for Android. I believe it costs 3.99 right now, 1.99 for the C25K version (which is not as fun, but is a good training tool). Essentially, you are a runner (runner 5) and you are sent on missions for a township overrun by zombies. You find supplies and zombies chase you, though there is also an evolving storyline. There are bits of conversation every few minutes - my son and I have an mp3 playlist that the program will incorporate into the run and the conversation comes between each song. The runs are about 30-40 min for the regular app - but you don't have to run (you can walk) - unless the zombies are coming (the zombies chasing is actually a feature you can turn off).

It also tracks your pace and distance, which is cool. I am not sure what we will do when we run out of missions! Hopefully an upgrade is on the way :D

You can do it! I just finally did my first 5k obstacle course and it was so much fun, I can't believe I haven't done one before! :) Already planning my next one now and I can't wait.

BTW, I am one of those people who just run/walks. Even when I was in the army I was never a very good runner. I would never make a good distance runner but even now I can climb a mountain with a 30lb toddler in my backpack carrier. :D My point is most of the time you don't need to neccesarily need to "run" the whole time to do a 5k. I would focus on becoming getting a quicker time and becoming healthier than you are now.

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. I ran, well I use that word rather loosely, 10K last year without training. For various reasons, including 2 cruises, I didn't train until it was too late so I just went out and did it! My daughter did much better than I, but I did finish, and I wasn't last. Wanted to do it again this year but I had two falls on the same knee this past winter so I am taking it slow. My knee is ok with walking, but not happy when I run. Up to 2.5 minutes so far. ;-).

Mo

ozarkmama - I also signed up for my first marathon. It's 4 miles and is on June 15th. My friends from work talked me into it. I am totally a walker. I can now run (slowly) 2.6 miles without stopping. I try to run 3 to 4 days a week. My only problem is the warm weather. Now that it is turning warmer, sometimes I can't run as far than I can on cooler days.

Hang in there, you can do it!

Well we started off walking and the first couple of times I had excruciating pain in my lower back and hips. I have fibromyalgia and an old injury to my lower back, went to the chiropractor, and then went to a specialty running store for a gait analysis and new shoes. DD has an old leg injury so we are taking this REALLY slow. She also got new shoes as she is a severe pronator (sp?). Still just walking, changed our route to a flatter land and shortened it to a little over 2 miles. The pain is much, much better. Hoping to start running next week and then adding a little more distance. I might not be up to running the full 5K by the beginning of August but aiming for next year.

I had pain also when I first started in the same places you mentioned - lower back and my right hip/groin. I figured out that I wasn't warming up and cooling down properly. I sometimes still have pain but nothing like it was before. It sounds like your off to a great start.

My goal is just to cross the finish line with my hands held high and yelling "I did it". :)

I had pain also when I first started in the same places you mentioned - lower back and my right hip/groin. I figured out that I wasn't warming up and cooling down properly. I sometimes still have pain but nothing like it was before. It sounds like your off to a great start.

My goal is just to cross the finish line with my hands held high and yelling "I did it". :)

Yes, I started doing some yoga stretches after my walk and in the mornings when I get out of bed, that seems to be helping a lot. Along with epsom salts in my bathtub :o

My goal is the same as yours. I just want to be able to say "I did it" with a smile.

Do couch to 5k. Many apps out there for it. I was never a runner either but used an app & just worked my way up. Now I'm working on couch to 10k & increased the speed on my treadmill. My wife is doing it too & we have seen significant improvements in cardio & strength in our legs.

Lol, I'm actually doing a 5k as well.

I am the most non-athletic person ever, but I signed up to do a Glow In The Dark Party 5k.

I've been doing a mile a day and it's really refreshing. I promise you will feel like a new person.

• 5 weeks later...

I just ran my first 5K about a month ago. I felt very proud of myself after finishing! Just set a goal for yourself and try to pace yourself to beat it. My goal was to finish in 45 minutes and run accross the finish line. I came in just over 39 minutes & I ran most of it but walked when I needed to. It's ok to take breaks! Don't push yourself too hard.

It's addictive. After that I signed up for a 4 miler on 4th of July, another 5k in July, and a 10k in September!

Archived