Vacations other than cruises

farbster

Hi Marc, no worries on our security clearances as we both are retired (last background ck, past 5 years for me, tho ida is only a year out from retirement). We will be in Edinburgh on the Cloud on our London Tower Bridge to Reykjavik and back cruise July-Aug. Silversea offered us: (we declined tho). Hope Arlene and you have fun attending this year's military Tattoo.

EDINBURGH MILITARY TATTOO

Travel from London to Edinburgh via first class rail

Spend two nights at the Scotsman Hotel - the only hotel in Edinburgh that can boast views over Edinburgh Castle, The Firth of Forth, Leith, Princes Street and Carlton Hill

Champagne and canapé welcome at Edinburgh Castle on the evening of the performance

A sumptuous three course dinner in the Queen Anne Room, at the heart of Edinburgh Castle.

After dinner, you are accompanied across the Esplanade to your seats in the covered Tattoo VIP box to enjoy the spectacle.

Following the performance a champagne reception is held in the VIP Lounge.

For full details contact Silversea Reservations:

My only problem with the awesome suggestions is that most are so far away from the East Coast of the USA. My wife and I are both under 45, so getting away for 2 weeks in a row is about all we can handle (kids are at sleepover camp). Factoring in weather conditions during those summer weeks and not wanting to be 24 hours away by plane with the kids at camp, really takes away some of the amazing trips....Cry me a river right? LOL

Has anyone done Lake Como?

Yes, several years ago, we rented a villa for a week in Bellagio on Lake Como. It has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth!! We just loved it!!

Karen

Hi Farbster,

Although I personally haven't been to Lake Como, I have 2 friends that have been. One stayed at Villa D'Este on Honeymoon and thought it was the most beautiful place they had seen.

My brother went to Bellagio and stayed at The Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni and

he loved it.

You could combine Como with Provence. We have stayed at The Four Seasons Terre Blanche, which comprises of villas overlooking the mountains. it's an incredible setting and very accessible for touring other areas and has great restaurants close by. Cannes is about 40 minutes drive away.

The Hotel Restaurant Faventia has an amazing Chef and their tasting menu with local wine pairing is incredible.

On another note only too far away for you on this trip, The Datai Hotel in Langkawi is very special. It is in built among a rainforest.

Happy planning!

My only problem with the awesome suggestions is that most are so far away from the East Coast of the USA. My wife and I are both under 45, so getting away for 2 weeks in a row is about all we can handle (kids are at sleepover camp). Factoring in weather conditions during those summer weeks and not wanting to be 24 hours away by plane with the kids at camp, really takes away some of the amazing trips....Cry me a river right? LOL

Well Mrs Banjo & I have camps on Sebago Lake in Maine that we rent out, if you want something different, (but not this year as we are already sold out). :D

In any case, we have not done a sea cruise since Sept 2011 on the Silver Cloud. Our traveling has been more independent travel, and we have stayed in the US. However, this fall, we will be cruising on the Danube River from Vienna to the Black Sea. This will be our second trip to Vienna and our third river cruise since 2008.

Because we have been on almost all of the sea cruise itineraries we have chosen to branch out beyond the sea cruises to see more of the interior and to look at other opportunities.

The other thing we are considering, because we will both be retired in the next few years, is using the cruise lines more as transportation to and from Europe rather than the vacation itself. So cruising won't be out of our plans, just a different part of our overall vacation plan.

We are planning an around the world by chartered jet for 70 passengers. 28 days duration.

Had the pleasure of doing it 12 years ago and loved it. Different itinerary and tour operator this time. I strongly recommend this for anyone with the time and money to spend.

Travel Guild (Toronto Canada) is the company doing the tour and the pricing is most attractive. Is anyone else familiar with this company?

We are planning an around the world by chartered jet for 70 passengers. 28 days duration.

Had the pleasure of doing it 12 years ago and loved it. Different itinerary and tour operator this time. I strongly recommend this for anyone with the time and money to spend.

Travel Guild (Toronto Canada) is the company doing the tour and the pricing is most attractive. Is anyone else familiar with this company?

I was going to say that this sounds like a trip of a lifetime ..... but you've already done it!

I googled and from what I can see it looks like surpisingly good value - although it does say 4 as well as 5 star hotels. Is this the one?

The all-inclusive price is CDN $22,498 per person double occupancy, which covers all flights by private jet, most meals, extensive sightseeing, first class accommodation, hotel transfers, gratuities, departure and airport taxes and visa fees. Single supplement is available for only CDN $2,595.00.

... it gives a link to http://www.privatejetworldtour.com/ which appears down. Hope that isn't a bad sign.

I hope you're going to tell us more about this one and your last. :)

I was going to say that this sounds like a trip of a lifetime ..... but you've already done it!

I googled and from what I can see it looks like surpisingly good value - although it does say 4 as well as 5 star hotels. Is this the one?

... it gives a link to http://www.privatejetworldtour.com/ which appears down. Hope that isn't a bad sign.

Yes this is the trip. Our last jet around the world was with Travcoa on an L1011 widebody. It was very upscale and VERY expensive. It has gotten more so now other than Travel Guild's Tour. I'm not expecting it to be luxurious but I'm sure it will be wonderful and for the cost differential if wanting to we can upgrade hotel rooms to suites or other.

Meals for the most part are buffets and that will be acceptable. However if so desired we can go off on our own for dining and pay for it.

That is not a big issue and the chance to see places we've not been is very enticing. We will post updates and tour photos and experiences.

The site is not down and you must have found a quote for a previous trip. This is the web site for the Oct. 2013 around the world....http://www.privatejettours.ca/prices-Around_the_World.html

The site is not down and you must have found a quote for a previous trip. This is the web site for the Oct. 2013 around the world....http://www.privatejettours.ca/prices-Around_the_World.html

I've just looked at the brochure. Fascinating trip. Really hope you enjoy it.

What bits of the itenarary do you particularly like and - if you could (ie fantasy world trip!) what would you change or adjust?

I've just looked at the brochure. Fascinating trip. Really hope you enjoy it.

What bits of the itenarary do you particularly like and - if you could (ie fantasy world trip!) what would you change or adjust?

Never having been to Dubai or Nepal as well as Iceland I am looking forward to this trip. I would have added Santorini(Greek Island) if possible. One of my favorite places.

Never having been to Dubai or Nepal as well as Iceland I am looking forward to this trip. I would have added Santorini(Greek Island) if possible. One of my favorite places.

I notice you have a free Sunday morning in Istanbul. The genuine ie authentic whirling Dervish perform in their mosque each Sunday morning. it may be worth taking some trouble to pre-book a couple of tickets.

Wripro,

Many thanks for letting me know the disappointing news that Four Seasons are no longer running Terre Blanche.

We have not been for a few years. The actor Sean Connery, owned the property and land for 20 years, he sold it in 1999, when it became a golf resort run by Four Seasons.

Looking online, the decor is exactly the same. I would still return as it remains part of the Leading Hotels Of The World.

again, thanks for sharing.

• 1 month later...

The Italian lakes are lovely, but only warm in the summer months. Lake Orta is my favourite, a tiny lake overlooked by tour companies. The little town of Orta St Giulio is delightful. Have you ever considered a home swap? We do this every year and visit parts of countries not found in tour guides, we stay in homes not hotels so we are amongst the locals. Not for everybody I realise.

We will be traveling to Myanmar---part of the trip includes the Orient Express river cruise--Road to Mandalay for a week.

We always meet one of our sons--who lives in Ireland with his family---in Europe for Thanksgiving. Last year we rented an apartment in Paris for all of us, This year it will be Rome--a penthouse apartment near the Trevi Fountain.

If you are still mobile and like a bit of an adventure with your vacation, but still with a modicum of comfort, my favorite vacation is island hopping in Greece, the week or two right at the end of the high season. Make only two hotel reservations before leaving, the hotel at your point of arrival and the hotel at your point of departure. Jumping on and off ferries when you've decided you've had enough of whatever island you are on, and booking rooms upon arrival on a new island through the dock hocks on the piers, is quite the adventure. I do have a favorite hotel in Oia however that is a must, the Katikies. Fantastic place to rejuvenate!!!!!! Using the hydrofoils between islands is also great fun. The key to all of this working well however is if you can travel with just one light suitcase. ;)

Archived