Advise needed from solo cruisers

Ms. T

Great, Bonzy! I can't wait to hear your report. How was RCI as a solo? I like the itinerary on the RCI cruise better. The NCL cruise would be Eastern Mediterranean (France, Spain, and Italy), but the entertainment might be better. Decisions...decisions...

TiaJ9 (Jeanine)

First time solo cruiser - October 2013

December 2012 - RCI - Liberty of the Seas

August 2009 - Carnival

December 2000 - Celebrity - Millenium

This is a great post! I am in the same situation. My travel buddy just cancelled yesterday (after flaking for the past few months) for a Greek Isles & Turkey cruise we booked in December. Of course I was very disappointed because this was my dream vacation and first to Europe. I had considered canceling the entire trip. Thinking it too expensive and too scary to do alone. I have done land vacations solo before, but not a cruise. These boards have helped me decide to go ahead and do it! As someone mentioned, there is a reason why she cancelled. After the crazy work whirlwind I will be in over the next few months...a solo cruise is probably just what will be needed! I work hard so I can enjoy new experiences like this, right? RIGHT!! :-)

Now my dilemma is do I stick with the original trip on RCI or try out NCL? Any thoughts from folks who have traveled both are welcome.

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

I have done RCI solo and have absolutely no complaints at all. I met many nice people and had an absolute great time. I will say that the studio cabins on NCL are tempting though..... I just can't seem to talk myself into making the jump when I am so happy with RCI and I "know" what I am getting.

I decided to stick with RCI since I've always wanted to go to the Greek Isles and I got a great rate for an ocean view room. I did downgrade from a balcony, but I figured that with all of the stops, I wouldn't be in the room much anyway.

Those NCL studios are tempting! I look forward to Bonzy's report to see if I need to add that experience to my list. :-) I'm officially excited about my trip again!

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

TiaJ9, I've done 3 solo cruises on RCI and I have 4 more planned, so you know it must be good! I've been fortunate enough to have great table mates and a wonderful roll call that made me feel included. On one cruise, I actually did an excursion with a nice family from my roll call and I had a fabulous day.

Have fun on your cruise and trust me, you will get addicted to solo cruising. After my last two cruises of having company, I've come to the decision that solo cruising is the only way for me now.

Virtopia, thank you for your insight! There must be something to this solo cruising thing. :-) I've booked my hotel stay in Venice. I am so proud of myself for not canceling the trip - learning to live outside my comfort zone. This will be another new experience to add to my growing list.

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

Virtopia, thank you for your insight! There must be something to this solo cruising thing. :-) I've booked my hotel stay in Venice. I am so proud of myself for not canceling the trip - learning to live outside my comfort zone. This will be another new experience to add to my growing list.

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

Hi, hope you have a wonderful time:)...solo is the only way I sail.

I just booked a cruise to Bermuda for August:D

Well done Tia for not cancelling.I k ow exactly how you are feeling!!!I have done all my cruises with friends or family and only one weekender alone.

My cruise in two weeks will be enlightening for me as I can be solo if I wish but have extended family if I feel wobbly!!!!!!!

LoisR, Bermuda is my favorite Caribbean island. I spent my very first solo land vacation there. :-)

Bonzy, yes it's making me wish that I had just gone solo when my family cruised last year, but the solo rate for that trip was higher than what I'm paying now for Europe.

The cruises out of NAmerica always look favourable price wise to us over here in Europe but then we have to add the airfare!!

I would lve to go to Hawaii but will need to gan confidence going solo first ...or pay for a close friend to come as she has no money!!!!! I have paid for her twice n he past but need to stand on my own two feet!!!!!!

Bonzy, that's true. I'm just ready for something else besides the Caribbean. I've never been to Europe and I've always wanted to go to Greece. I haven't been to Hawaii either!

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

Bonzy, that's true. I'm just ready for something else besides the Caribbean. I've never been to Europe and I've always wanted to go to Greece. I haven't been to Hawaii either!

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

Hi TiaJ9

Solo travel is the only way - if i waited for people I would not have seen what I have - you will enjoy Greece - what other ports are included - Other nice spots are Alaska and New England/Canada -

Enjoy cruising - I am booked on the Breakaway Oct. 6th and I was also able to get a solo balcony for the Quantum for Nov. 2nd sailing

Linda

Hi Linda:

Thanks for the encouragement! The ship leaves out of Venice (I'm staying in Venice for two nights) and then goes to Croatia, Turkey, to the Greek Isles, and then back to Venice. The more I repeat the itinerary, the crazier it sounds that I ever considered canceling! You have two trips that close together? I wish I could get that kind of time off from work. What are your itineraries?

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

It'll be exactly what you want it to be! I cruise with my husband, solo and occasionally with friends. It's always nice to be on vacation, but cruising and traveling solo is a blast! I've lots of tales often from cruising solo from the past year or so on my blog.

http://travelxena.com/

Happy Cruising!

Hi Linda:

Thanks for the encouragement! The ship leaves out of Venice (I'm staying in Venice for two nights) and then goes to Croatia, Turkey, to the Greek Isles, and then back to Venice. The more I repeat the itinerary, the crazier it sounds that I ever considered canceling! You have two trips that close together? I wish I could get that kind of time off from work. What are your itineraries?

TiaJ9

August 2009 - Carnival

Hi!

I have to say that the Oct. 6th cruise is this year on the Breakaway going to Bermuda and the Nov. 2nd is on the Quantum for next year...it is the transatlantic and I have a balcony...I should also say that in April I am cruising with a friend on the Brilliance doing the transatlantic 14 nights- we each have out own cabin (balcony/next door to each other)...she does her thing - i do mine and we meet whenever..this cruise is leaving from Tampa - Boston - Cork - Brussels - France and then South Hampton

I have been to Turkey (istanbul and Kusadasi) and it is a place you will enjoy - Venice I was there with a land tour and it was so nice - one thing take a gondala (sp) down the canal - Greece is great - Santorini/Rhodes and Athens.....Let me just say I am glad you are not cancelling ..you will enjoy

Linda

• 1 month later...

Thanks Linda! Apparently, I have not been getting my post alerts. We are now less than 90 days out! I considered switching to a Transatlantic excursion, but I stuck with this trip. Maybe I'll do a Transatlantic next year!

Hi!

I have to say that the Oct. 6th cruise is this year on the Breakaway going to Bermuda and the Nov. 2nd is on the Quantum for next year...it is the transatlantic and I have a balcony...I should also say that in April I am cruising with a friend on the Brilliance doing the transatlantic 14 nights- we each have out own cabin (balcony/next door to each other)...she does her thing - i do mine and we meet whenever..this cruise is leaving from Tampa - Boston - Cork - Brussels - France and then South Hampton

I have been to Turkey (istanbul and Kusadasi) and it is a place you will enjoy - Venice I was there with a land tour and it was so nice - one thing take a gondala (sp) down the canal - Greece is great - Santorini/Rhodes and Athens.....Let me just say I am glad you are not cancelling ..you will enjoy

Linda

TeeChi -- This is so true. My very first vacation ever was solo because I got fed up with people cancelling. It is still one of the best vacation memories that I have.

If you wait on other people in life, you'll be waiting for a long time.

Thanks TeeChi. I ended up sticking with RCCL because of the dates and pricing, but I would definitely like to take a trip on one of the NCL ships for something different.

I went to Italy last year on NCL Jade. I highly recommend this ship sailing from Venice to Croatia, Turkey and Greece.

Xena:

I absolutely love your photos on your blog!! Thank you for directing me there.

It'll be exactly what you want it to be! I cruise with my husband, solo and occasionally with friends. It's always nice to be on vacation, but cruising and traveling solo is a blast! I've lots of tales often from cruising solo from the past year or so on my blog.

http://travelxena.com/

Happy Cruising!

This will be my first time cruising solo. I finally found a thread on what to do about shore excursions. Do they price according to couples. I keep hearing about going in halves for shore excursions. Can someone explain that to me?

I have a girlfriend who is afraid of doing anything alone and she said to me after I booked the cruise why I wanted to go cruising. I just told her "because it's there" She thought I had an agenda (maybe a rendevous with a guy) but no I just said because I wanted to go. She thought I was crazy but Im not. I just tired waiting for people to make decisions and have me disappointed because I am going where they are going which I don't want to go.

Little scary but I am looking forward to it. Wanting a companion at the same time. Maybe...... no

This will be my first time cruising solo. I finally found a thread on what to do about shore excursions. Do they price according to couples. I keep hearing about going in halves for shore excursions. Can someone explain that to me?

I have a girlfriend who is afraid of doing anything alone and she said to me after I booked the cruise why I wanted to go cruising. I just told her "because it's there" She thought I had an agenda (maybe a rendevous with a guy) but no I just said because I wanted to go. She thought I was crazy but Im not. I just tired waiting for people to make decisions and have me disappointed because I am going where they are going which I don't want to go.

Little scary but I am looking forward to it. Wanting a companion at the same time. Maybe...... no

Excursions are priced per person. Not per couple. What are you

needing help with? If you are going on an independent tour, many

times the tour operators have an amount for a certain amount

of people. So the more people? The better the price. But they

don't care if it is couples, families, solos,.....you would take the

amount and divide it by how many people.

If you go with the ship's tours? That is always per person no matter

how many or how few folks are on the tour.

Sounds like your friend is very insecure...Might not be a very fun

way to cruise. I would hate to have someone who was "clingy"

going with me. I sail solo and have been on my own for almost my

entire adult life. Love cruising solo:) and hope you have good time.

Why would your friend think you have "an agenda"??? Sounds a bit

odd to me.......

I hope you go and have a wonderful cruise:)

She always thinks she needs a man to go with show her a good time. she ends up paying the bill. Agenda is that probably found a man or I out looking because she has never gone anywhere alone. odd? yes. I would like to have guy to go with because I have not had a guy in a long time and I like traveling with a guy better than a girl. But going alone sounds appealing to me. Like the other posts stated they go anywhere at anytime and leave at anytime and go with anyone they want. I will like to sleep in a bed and hear the waves or feel the ship rock me to sleep.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if that was it about dividing up the price of a group excursion. My friends and I encounter that on the last cruise I took many years ago. He(the tour guide) wouldn't take us because we were 3 and needed at least 3 more people. We found 6 but then they did not want to go with us even though we found them a tour guide. He was happy to take all of us. Finally the 6 people relented. We regretted it. Too pushy and bossy.

Sorry that I was not explaining it right. I have a cold and the cold medicine is kicking in.

Archived