New poll regarding the “Affluent” and cruising

Cunard Cruiser

Louise D, the statement was oddly conflicting because it was a contrapostive: real life vs imagination. Simple logic -the framework of code breakers. I can only comment on what people write, not what they think. I'm fairly certain you don't want me to go into the patterns that reveal thoughts behind the posting, but thanks very much for your input. Always interesting. Regards, -S.

Sorry if my comment was conflicting or controversial. My referral to real life, bracketed by quotation marks, was merely my view that life on board a ship (excuse me, ocean liner) seems very much like a delightful fantasy. Coincidently, that is also the case of many romantic old movies, of which I will admit I am a fan. Real life is unfortunately very REAL, and frequently tedious. The voyage is supposed to be a vacation after all. Shouldn't we all just enjoy it? Soon enough, we return from our travels, stuck behind a desk, and longing for our next vacation. Hopefully, some day we can all get together on board, you, and Louise D. and turqouise 6, and myself, attired in all our sartorial splendor, sipping champagne and listening to the music. At least then we'll be SURE we know where the QM 2 is. :)

Hello!! hello!! Britannia Dinning is not steerage. Keep on watching the Titanic,(All The Movies) you are in nice world.

it was a joke, humour, a little sarcasim on grills v britannia. comedy. A bit wasted on some

Sorry if my comment was conflicting or controversial. My referral to real life, bracketed by quotation marks, was merely my view that life on board a ship (excuse me, ocean liner) seems very much like a delightful fantasy. Coincidently, that is also the case of many romantic old movies, of which I will admit I am a fan. Real life is unfortunately very REAL, and frequently tedious. The voyage is supposed to be a vacation after all. Shouldn't we all just enjoy it? Soon enough, we return from our travels, stuck behind a desk, and longing for our next vacation. Hopefully, some day we can all get together on board, you, and Louise D. and turqouise 6, and myself, attired in all our sartorial splendor, sipping champagne and listening to the music. At least then we'll be SURE we know where the QM 2 is. :)

Now that the controversy has died down :), there's just enough room on this thread for me to jump in and agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Work is so "real life" (we love it and hate it at the same time) so it's wonderful to be able to board a Cunard ship and enjoy the unique atmosphere, excellent food and wonderful attire (and jewels) of most of the guests.

Transatlantic ship travel is going through the same transformation that air travel went through in the 1970's. In the 60's air travel was still primarily for the "affluent" and semi-affluent.

There were certainly many more "celebrities" traveling on the Cunard ships before, I suppose, around 5 or 6 years ago. QE2, whatever people may think her faults were, was a ship that had cachet. She was a star, and she attracted celebrities, etc. The same can be said for QM2 during the first 3 or 4 years of her sailings. But things were already beginning to change during the last few years of QE2 (noted by some ship's crew also).

Sailing on QE2 and early QM2 was an event. I always met many interesting people, and it was not about wealth. As time has progressed, money has become the symbol of "class", but money is not class. Class can come from any walk of life, or income, as it is not about being posh, it is about individual decency, personality, a "je ne sais quoi" that is difficult to describe in a nutshell.

Are there forces, whether economic or whatever, that relentlessly push for a kind of "dumbing down"? I don't know. Was Cunard perceived as "undemocratic" before? Who knows.

Transatlantic ship travel is going through the same transformation that air travel went through in the 1970's. In the 60's air travel was still primarily for the "affluent" and semi-affluent.

There were certainly many more "celebrities" traveling on the Cunard ships before, I suppose, around 5 or 6 years ago. QE2, whatever people may think her faults were, was a ship that had cachet. She was a star, and she attracted celebrities, etc. The same can be said for QM2 during the first 3 or 4 years of her sailings. But things were already beginning to change during the last few years of QE2 (noted by some ship's crew also).

Sailing on QE2 and early QM2 was an event. I always met many interesting people, and it was not about wealth. As time has progressed, money has become the symbol of "class", but money is not class. Class can come from any walk of life, or income, as it is not about being posh, it is about individual decency, personality, a "je ne sais quoi" that is difficult to describe in a nutshell.

Are there forces, whether economic or whatever, that relentlessly push for a kind of "dumbing down"? I don't know. Was Cunard perceived as "undemocratic" before? Who knows.

A very good point and apologies if this gets taken the wrong way but is it a dumping down of standards. I am not sure if that is the right word but in the late 1960's going abroad from the UK to the likes of the Spain or the Greek Islands was something only a moderate few people could do and what idyllic locations they were. I now cringe at the appalling sights you can see on Youtube of todays holiday makers that go to those locations and before I get lambasted by folks that disagree, then yes I do accept there are still parts of those beautiful countries we can visit that are not spoilt by revellers. Is the cruise industry slowly catering for the self same people that forever changed those locations. I was going to post some examples but my thoughts are they are not suitable for this site.

Just type into Google 'youtube 18 - 30 parties'

How long before Cunard allow hen party or stag party bookings

By some people, yes. I've met people who wouldn't sail with Cunard because they're offended by the "class system." Considering how few areas are off-limits to the Rowers, I find this attitude baffling. Even more so now that the people who wouldn't sail on Cunard do sail on the ships that have added special enclaves like the Haven. That's a restricted area, but it is not perceived by the people who stay there as "undemocratic."

An interesting article regarding a cruising trend among the US “affluent” population. Could this be a reason for the “watering down” of the dress code? Also are more changes to come to attract a new Cunard demographic?

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/study-finds-affluent-less-likely-to-cruise-during-next-12-months.html

I fail to see the way people dress and affluence have any connection whatsoever. And please, what demographic are you referring to?

You are reminding me of a lawyer I practice with on occasion. This guy is a frequent Cunard cruiser and quite the character. He refers to himself as the "original ugly American tourist". His Breitling watches are the size of dinner plates and he is a very natty dresser- pocket square matches his socks and both are gingham check. He told me about a shore excursion where he was standing on a boat, black socks and sandals, cigar in mouth, telling the deckhand what to do while his wife and child snorkeled. He's a hilarious guy, really, and definitely affluent, but I would jump overboard if I found out he was on the same sailing as me. I think they only cruise Cunard at this point.

Hibobg. Certainly no need to apolgize; we're just looking at the same thing differently. Cunard voyages aren't a fantasy to me - they have been real life experiences. I've read reviews by passengers who wrote that they were disappointed with their Cunard experience because it wasn't what they had imagined. But when we have fantasies about travelling on an ocean liner the way it was in old movies, we shouldn't complain when the reality is not the same, in my opinion. Yet that happens not infrequently, in part due to Cunard marketing hype (which is thankfully being toned down.)

:) Yes, that's the one sure way to know where QM2 is - and being on board is also the best way! :) Cheers, -S.

Hibobg. Certainly no need to apolgize; we're just looking at the same thing differently. Cunard voyages aren't a fantasy to me - they have been real life experiences. I've read reviews by passengers who wrote that they were disappointed with their Cunard experience because it wasn't what they had imagined. But when we have fantasies about travelling on an ocean liner the way it was in old movies, we shouldn't complain when the reality is not the same, in my opinion. Yet that happens not infrequently, in part due to Cunard marketing hype (which is thankfully being toned down.)

:) Yes, that's the one sure way to know where QM2 is - and being on board is also the best way! :) Cheers, -S.

How true! My mother raised me watching the Hollywood musicals and costume dramas of the thirties and forties. I still remember my shock and disappointment when, as a child, I first spent a night in a hotel. Where, I wondered, was our suite of rooms, where were the crystal chandeliers, and where was the liveried staff waiting to serve us? I soon learned my lesson, which may be why my first sailing on QM2 exceeded all my expectations.

But if a cruise can never be a fairy tale fantasy, at its best it does offer a kind of alternative reality, a world apart that offers us not only a welcome respite from the reality of everyday life, but also allows us to gain a new and healthier perspective on the workaday world we have temporarily escaped.

But there are also those go into debt to book Grill accomodations, having their charge card limits maxed out for a couple of years.

I presume here that you have first hand knowledge of 'those' who go into debt to book the Grills?

You contribute to this board most admirably on many occasions, but on this occasion l find your comment rather insulting and quite unneccesary.

Best, Judy

Just my personal experience, but the accomodations booked by any passenger is no reflection of their "affluence". Of course, most people who book Grill accomodations have the resourses to do so. But there are also those go into debt to book Grill accomodations, having their charge card limits maxed out for a couple of years. And there are those who have the means to book a Queens Grill stateroom, but prefer an inside cabin on Deck 5.

Plenty of space for everyone. Even if it is only "a common Area" :)

Cheers,

S.

My apologies for my faux pas on the quote.

But there are also those go into debt to book Grill accomodations, having their charge card limits maxed out for a couple of years.

I presume here that you have first hand knowledge of 'those' who go into debt to book the Grills?

You contribute to this board most admirably on many occasions, but on this occasion l find your comment rather insulting and quite unneccesary.

Best, Judy

No offense was intended.

For some, booking Grill accomodations is worth maxing out their credit card. From what I have been told, travelling first class very different, and much perferred. We each have different things we enjoy on our voyage, and what suits our needs is what determines the accomodations/voyages we book. I respect the choice of others to find the voyage and accomodations that suits their needs.

Please hit the yellow triangle if you find this post quite unnecessary as you did by the previous post quoted; I stand by what I what was written on that post. Again, no offense was intended.

If it helps you at all, I have 13 of the QM2's used gas turbine blades sitting on my desk here at the moment. (i.e proof that the gas turbines are actually put into service from time to time). I believe the rest of the ship is presently on its way from Southampton to New York.

What a nice keep-sake.

Useless piece of trivia that you might already be aware of.

I have no idea if this still applies but when we started our gas turbines at dusk or at night it was always a sight well worth seeing as flames from the funnel would sometimes stretch well over 100ft up into the air as the 'wick' was lit.

When the engines were running to clean the blades ground walnut shell was poured through a funnel into the engine and again there would be a beautiful firework type display coming from the funnel.

I have no idea if this still applies but it might be worth asking a ship's engineer as it is an impressive sight although I wonder just how often these engines are now used :(

What a nice keep-sake.

Useless piece of trivia that you might already be aware of.

I have no idea if this still applies but when we started our gas turbines at dusk or at night it was always a sight well worth seeing as flames from the funnel would sometimes stretch well over 100ft up into the air as the 'wick' was lit.

When the engines were running to clean the blades ground walnut shell was poured through a funnel into the engine and again there would be a beautiful firework type display coming from the funnel.

I have no idea if this still applies but it might be worth asking a ship's engineer as it is an impressive sight although I wonder just how often these engines are now used :(

Hi Glojo,

I have not been on board QM2 when the gas turbines have been in use, and I envy those who have been.

The blades are surprisingly small, but they do show signs of scorching, so they must have been used at one time or another.

Louise

Hi Glojo,

I have not been on board QM2 when the gas turbines have been in use, and I envy those who have been.

The blades are surprisingly small, but they do show signs of scorching, so they must have been used at one time or another.

Louise

Wow, you have an LM2500 sitting on your desk...you might enjoy contributing to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LvjCp_gVuc

Archived