New poll regarding the “Affluent” and cruising

Cunard Cruiser

An interesting article regarding a cruising trend among the US “affluent” population. Could this be a reason for the “watering down” of the dress code? Also are more changes to come to attract a new Cunard demographic?

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/study-finds-affluent-less-likely-to-cruise-during-next-12-months.html

Exactly where Cunard is making a mistake. By "watering down" the dress code and other things they make their ships appear too mass market for the affluent. Sure, the affluent would likely be staying in the Grills. But they would find the common areas of the ship, well, too "common".

An interesting article regarding a cruising trend among the US “affluent” population. Could this be a reason for the “watering down” of the dress code? Also are more changes to come to attract a new Cunard demographic?

Sorry, but I see no connection between the article you referenced and the change in dress code.

But regarding your question "are more changes to come to attract an new Cunard demographic?" my gut resonse is yes: there will be more changes as Cunard shifts from being Euro-Centric to appeal to a more global market.

Please don't pin on the Yanks...it's just Cunard doing business. Not my idea, that's for sure!

Regards,

Salacia

Exactly where Cunard is making a mistake. By "watering down" the on dress code and other things they make their ships appear too mass market for the affluent. Sure, the affluent would likely be staying in the Grills. But they would find the common areas of the ship, well, too "common".

Just my personal experience, but the accomodations booked by any passenger is no reflection of their "affluence". Of course, most people who book Grill accomodations have the resourses to do so. But there are also those go into debt to book Grill accomodations, having their charge card limits maxed out for a couple of years. And there are those who have the means to book a Queens Grill stateroom, but prefer an inside cabin on Deck 5.

Plenty of space for everyone. Even if it is only "a common Area" :)

Cheers,

S.

As usual, I think that Salacia is on the right track. Whatever changes Cunard has made to the dress code were under consideration long before this temporary shortfall in affluent passengers. And were there a strong correlation between affluence and formal wear, I would think that Cunard would be trying to attract passengers by tightening the code rather than by loosening it. But whatever may have been the case in years gone by, we are in the midst of a great unsettlement in fashion and much else that has touched us all, regardless of income. Where it will ultimately lead I doubt that anyone knows. But I do know that dining in Britannia I met many less than affluent folk like myself who reveled in the formal evenings and whose wonderful attire and pleasant conversation made the common areas anything but common, just I have had affluent friends who groan at the very thought of wearing a tie.

I would agree - not sure there is a great correlation between affluence and formal cruise wear. The affluent in the UK this summer are heading to the Glastonbury festival to see the Rolling Stones - and this definitely is not a formal dress occasion!

But I do know that dining in Britannia I met many less than affluent folk like myself who reveled in the formal evenings and whose wonderful attire and pleasant conversation made the common areas anything but common, just I have had affluent friends who groan at the very thought of wearing a tie.

You are so right! :)

We aren't affluent by any means and definitely working class. We have worked hard and saved hard all our lives so that we can be part of the Cunard experience for a short time. We are looking forward to our balcony stateroom, the elegance of the formal evenings and whole experience of being on board Queen Elizabeth and all she has to offer. It's all this that has attracted us to Cunard and if the Cunard brand was diluted or changed to be like most other cruise lines, then we might as well sail with any of the others.

Whenever we've told anyone who has asked about who we're sailing with, that it's Cunard, the response is always "wow, that'll be amazing, all that glamour and class". The Cunard brand is something almost everyone (even people who don't cruise) recognises and I don't think wealth (or lack of it) will influence anyone who really wants to be part of it.

I would agree - not sure there is a great correlation between affluence and formal cruise wear. The affluent in the UK this summer are heading to the Glastonbury festival to see the Rolling Stones - and this definitely is not a formal dress occasion!

Absolutely right! There is pretty much zero correlation between the amount of money in your pocket and how you dress. However, I suspect quite a strong correlation betweeen how you dress and how affluent/sophisticated/different some folks would like you to believe they are. I defy anyone to accurately assess anyone's wealth by their appearance in the horribly mis-named "common" areas of the ship.

DW and I love the Cunard approach to formal nights - it's a great opportunity to actually make dining something a bit special. We were a bit disappointed not to be able to schlep all the gear for proper formal nights on a recent cruise with another line; but then very disappointed that the dress code observation was very poor and I considered myself overdressed in just a linen suit on the way to a speciality restaurant.

But here's the thing - formal nights are great but the alternatives of semi-formal and smart casual drive me nuts. Just a few night without a jacket would be great. If changing demographics and customer tastes are pushing Cunard to loosen things a little, that's fine by me.

Long live the penguin suit!

All you have to do is visit any of the top restaurants in NY, LA or London (with a very few exceptions) and you'll see the most affluent people dressed very casually. That's life nowadays and clinging to the good old days is fine if you want but most people do not. Cunard is just starting to follow the trend. In five more years you'll see uneven more relaxed dress code.

I honestly don't believe that Cunard going down-market is what everyone wants these days. I'm certain there's no survey been done to prove or disprove that.

I live in a university city and the shops that sell and hire formal wear are numerous and doing very well, especially with younger people. It surprised me to find that my 23 yr old nephew not only owns 2 tuxes, but wears them regularly, as do many of his friends. Just because people in one part of the world prefer to dress down and look like they don't bother too much, it doesn't mean that everyone is like that.

If Cunard water things down too much to please these people who prefer to slob out rather than to be smart, they could well find the traditionalists as well as the new smart set will leave them in droves. Then the only way is downwards, as Cunard will have to go even more down market to attract new customers to fill their ships.

Cunard does whatever is necessary to stay competitive, to maintain its share of the market and to increase revenue. Stated simply, they follow the money.

I do not see any correlation between the article and changes in the dress code policy.

If you have the money to buy whatever is for sale, then you most likely want "the best".

If you can afford the Ritz, you do not choose to stay at a Motel 6.

That is why the "affluent" are not choosing Cunard, in seeking to attract the "masses" it has "cut its own throat"

If you have the money to buy whatever is for sale, then you most likely want "the best".

If you can afford the Ritz, you do not choose to stay at a Motel 6.

That is why the "affluent" are not choosing Cunard, in seeking to attract the "masses" it has "cut its own throat"

Reflecting upon my own experience on QM2 in February and March this year, Cunard has not yet "cut its own throat" as you put it. Of course, it is possible it may do so in the future, but I remain optimistic that the service standards that I witnessed will be maintained into the foreseeable future.

I acknowledge that my experience is not of the Britannia passenger, but I have had discussions with passengers in Britannia who have been very happy with their voyage experience.

I honestly don't believe that Cunard going down-market is what everyone wants these days. I'm certain there's no survey been done to prove or disprove that.

I live in a university city and the shops that sell and hire formal wear are numerous and doing very well, especially with younger people. It surprised me to find that my 23 yr old nephew not only owns 2 tuxes, but wears them regularly, as do many of his friends. Just because people in one part of the world prefer to dress down and look like they don't bother too much, it doesn't mean that everyone is like that.

If Cunard water things down too much to please these people who prefer to slob out rather than to be smart, they could well find the traditionalists as well as the new smart set will leave them in droves. Then the only way is downwards, as Cunard will have to go even more down market to attract new customers to fill their ships.

Well said! Dress has indeed become more casual over the past few decades, but there are signs that we are approaching the end of this long fashion cycle and no one can predict what will follow. The students at the university where I teach aren't rushing to buy evening wear, but when I describe the ambience of a formal night on a Cunard ship, my graduate teaching assistants all tell me how much they would enjoy dressing for the occasion. It may be that Cunard is racing to catch a bandwagon that sooner or later will tumble over a cliff. And as you point out, even were the rage for informality to continue unabated, there are many people, young and old, affluent and folks of modest means, who would prefer a touch of elegance to the same old same old. That, I would think, could be a powerful selling point for Cunard in a competitive market.

Change, of course, is inevitable, for ships as it is for all of us, sometimes to our regret. But if it is handled gracefully, we have nothing to fear. Cunard, I think, is still far from being an oceangoing Motel 6, and we can still hope for many wonderful sailings to come.

Exactly where Cunard is making a mistake. By "watering down" the dress code and other things they make their ships appear too mass market for the affluent. Sure, the affluent would likely be staying in the Grills. But they would find the common areas of the ship, well, too "common".

Just because you're not rich, doesn't mean that you don't enjoy getting dressed up for the evening, or that you can't behave yourself in a dignified fashion. And just because you're "affluent" doesn't guarantee that you're not "common".

Just because you're not rich, doesn't mean that you don't enjoy getting dressed up for the evening, or that you can't behave yourself in a dignified fashion. And just because you're "affluent" doesn't guarantee that you're not "common".

Very true.

Just who are these "affluent" who find the common areas of the Cunard ships too "common"? In what context have you met them and what exactly did they say to you on this subject?

I am confused by the whole theme of this thread because who has decided Cunard are catering for the 'Affluent'?

Is the Cunard Cruise Company catering for the rich and wealthy? I would suggest this is not the case although they do offer some very nice suite accommodation which for meals and some social events does offer a class type system but is the cruise line itself offering what I believe is now called six star service?

The prices for a cruise with Cunard is comparable to that of Fred Olsen and cabin for cabin, it might even be cheaper. I am thinking about when I was looking to book our World Cruise and a Fred Olsen balcony cabin was I believe more expensive. There was a small difference between Cunard and P&O but nothing that was significant. Having said that if I wanted to book a similar length cruise with a company like Silverseas, then I would see a very large price difference and if we judge affluence with money, then I would judge Cunard as being more toward middle class as opposed to upper class or affluent.

Just my thoughts and contribution to this debate.

I like the Cunard style of cruising and long may it continue but I was taught from a very early age to never judge a book by its cover! ;) Wearing a tuxedo or evening dress does not mean we are rich or affluent!

The prices for a cruise with Cunard is comparable to that of Fred Olsen and cabin for cabin, it might even be cheaper.... then I would judge Cunard as being more toward middle class as opposed to upper class or affluent.

I like the Cunard style of cruising and long may it continue but I was taught from a very early age to never judge a book by its cover! ;) Wearing a tuxedo or evening dress does not mean we are rich or affluent!

Agreed. We cruised with Fred Olsen 2 years ago and it cost us almost as much for 1 week as it is for 2 weeks on Queen Elizabeth.

It looks as though Fred Olsen and P&O are "clinging to the past" too, as on Boudicca 2 years ago, as well as Aurora 3 years ago, there was at least a 95% observance of the dress codes, with formal evenings on both ships being very glamorous occasions. There seemed to be a healthy mix of people from all backgrounds and professions, so affluence doesn't seem to be a deciding factor.

Maybe formality and glamour are actually what the customers of Cunard, P&O (certain ships) and Fred Olsen want. If Cunard want to "test the waters", then maybe they could try their idea on one ship only and then they could compare which cruising style is most popular.

Sadly the Grills experience is simply not good enough for the price Cunard extract

Who wants to scorch in the totally unshaded grills area or be unable to dine with friends on other tables without the nonsense of your assigned waiter having to serve you and vica versa

I would prefer to go with Regent or Crystal etc if I want to pay for exemplary service and free drinks etc etc

Sadly the Grills experience is simply not good enough for the price Cunard extract

Who wants to scorch in the totally unshaded grills area or be unable to dine with friends on other tables without the nonsense of your assigned waiter having to serve you and vica versa

I would prefer to go with Regent or Crystal etc if I want to pay for exemplary service and free drinks etc etc

Huh? I moved around the Queens Grill restaurant quite a bit during the last voyage, and I/we got served by whichever waiter was assigned to whatever table we happened to be at.

Reflecting upon my own experience on QM2 in February and March this year, Cunard has not yet "cut its own throat" as you put it. Of course, it is possible it may do so in the future, but I remain optimistic that the service standards that I witnessed will be maintained into the foreseeable future.

I acknowledge that my experience is not of the Britannia passenger, but I have had discussions with passengers in Britannia who have been very happy with their voyage experience.

I did a recent stint in Britannia, and quite enjoyed it. Of course, now that I've learned that other Britannia guests are entertained by random Japanese couples bursting into their stateroom, I feel as though I missed out on certain things.

The number of cabins on QM2,QE,QV, that are Grills is very small compared to those classed as Britannia. I assume that most passengers therefore are Britannia, and it is these cabins that Cunard has to fill.

The question is- how do they attract passengers to these cabins?

The answer is to provide exceptional Service, food , First class Entertainment, and an atmosphere that the passenger is a VIP.

These things have all suffered on Cunard especially treating passengers as VIPs.

On QE recently the only people treated to the "Red Carpet" were Travel Agents, who were taken on board , wined and dined, while IN TRANSIT passengers waited for hours in a cold terminal not even given a cup of coffee or tea, , KEPT OUT OF THEIR CABINS FOR WHICH THEY HAD PAID , and totally ignored by Cunard staff.

This is not the way to attract "affluent" travelers.

Wouldn't it be a boring World if we all liked, wanted or appreciated the very same things in life.

The most important thing to me is we are happy with what we pay for be it Regent, Crystal, Fred Olsen, P&O or Cunard. Just like watching TV... If we don't like what we are watching then change channels :)

No company will ever be perfect, I am addicted to reading posts on this forum and I think it fair to suggest that complaints are few and far between so Cunard might be doing something right??

Archived