Opinions...Freedom vs Dream

bbmom2boys

So my dilemma is....we are booked ES on the Dream sailing 8/24 going to Nassau, San Juan, ST. Thomas and GT 7 days. We have been to ST. Thomas and of course Nassau. Some great friends of ours are sailing on the Freedom same week but 8 days (with 3 sea days which I LOVE) ...goes to Grand Turk, La Romana Dominican Republic, Curacao and Aruba we have never been to any of these ports. The Freedom is $500 more. Both Lido deck balcony cabins.

One other little consideration is DS lives in Orlando ...the Dream sails from Port Canaveral so I get a mom fix when we sail out of there...the Freedom sails out of Ft. Lauderdale so not as convenient.

Any opinions?

Having done both, I would choose the Freedom over the Dream. We didn't like the layout of the Lido Deck main pool. It felt too closed in. The crew on the Freedom is the best we have ever encountered. They are so friendly and helpful.

We had Panorama cabins on both ships. On the Dream, you can't see directly down. The Promenade deck sticks out blocking your view.

I say take the cruise with the Friends! Friends always seem to add an extra element of fun to my cruises. Besides, the 7 day cruises are wearing the crap out of Nassau, and St. Thomas. Although I really do like St. Thomas, but I don't think Nassau is worth getting off of the ship for! The Freedom was an outstanding ship with a truly outstanding staff!

I went on the Dream when it first came out, it was ok. Going on the Freedom in 2 weeks - looking forward to that. With regards to seeing your daughter? in Orlando? Why not fly to Orlando a day or two early, visit, rent a car and drive to Port Canavaral - it's about a 3 hour ride. You could fly back to your home from Ft. Lauderdale - just a thought. I'd go for the 8 day with friends.

Edited by Chrisp414

Go with the Freedom. We did this itinerary last spring break on the Freedom and this year on the Breeze. I like the layout on the Freedom much better. I get tired of doing the same islands and a cruise with friends is always so much more fun.

I went on the Dream when it first came out, it was ok. Going on the Freedom in 2 weeks - looking forward to that. With regards to seeing your daughter? in Orlando? Why not fly to Orlando a day or two early, visit, rent a car and drive to Port Canavaral - it's about a 3 hour ride. You could fly back to your home from Ft. Lauderdale - just a thought. I'd go for the 8 day with friends.

It's only about an hour drive or less depending on the traffic. We've done it in 50 minutes going the speed limit.

Either way you can't go wrong. :) If it were me, I would save my money, visit with my DS & keep what I had for this year, but get with the friends about booking together for next cruise.

Next year, you will be able to cruise to the ports your friends are doing out of Port Canaveral. Yay! Can't wait.:D

We've also been to the same ports many times but LOVE them all. In St. Thomas we use Sunny Liston, in St. Maarten we use Bernard's Tours and in Nassau our favorite places are away from the port area.

Spent little $ for some awesome excursions and also got to get some more belgian chocolates. Yummy!

On the flip side, we LOVE the Freedom too. The ports you mentioned are IMO some of the most beautiful we have been to. ;)

Sorry, not much help but either way you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy your cruise!

You are all awesome! Thank you for the brainstorming! Chrisp414....this is my favorite compromise I think! DS is a teacher (very proud mamma here) so we could spend Labor Day with him if we fly in and out of Orlando. Might try to talk hubby into renting a convertible for the drive and do a costal drive adventure for a day.

You are all awesome! Thank you for the brainstorming! Chrisp414....this is my favorite compromise I think! DS is a teacher (very proud mamma here) so we could spend Labor Day with him if we fly in and out of Orlando. Might try to talk hubby into renting a convertible for the drive and do a costal drive adventure for a day.

Either cruise would work for me so no help there..... but I might reconsider getting a convertible car in the middle of August here in FL. It will be hot and muggy even at 3 am in the morning. The coastal drive would be fun though..... with AC!! :)

It's only about an hour drive or less depending on the traffic. We've done it in 50 minutes going the speed limit.

I think that poster meant Port Everglades from Orlando, not Port Canaveral.

I would go with the Freedom. it would be all new ports for you and traveling with friends would be great! Also whileva longer drive, getting to Port everglades from Orlando really isnt too bad.

I would choose the Freedom over the dream for both itinerary and ship. We just prefer the Conquest Class ships.

We chose an 8 day Freedom for our next cruise 3 weeks from today. I wish it was doing the GT, Aruba itinerary, but at least the Antigua, Tortola run is a change from the W. Caribbean we usually do out of Galveston.

We have actually been on both ships too. Honestly we do love the Dream but we did the 8 day Panama Canal trip on the Freedom with this same group of friends so that is certainly the best part! We did not book this one initally because of the cost but now that our seasonal business is finally cooking it has opened up that option. I appreciate the summer heat warning...however we are from Northern Illinois so heat heat and more heat ...is not a problem for us!

That would be a hard one for me! Been on both and can say they are both are 2 favorites!! SInce they are both GREAT ships, you can't go wrong either way;) I would pick on the ports you would rather travel too and going with friends is always fun!

I would choose the Freedom. The Freedom has very good shows and a seemly more friendly crew. Also a very nice hot tub/thalasso pool combination in the gym between the mens and ladies locker rooms, nice steam room and sauna. No need to purchase Cloud Nine Spa package as you would have to on the Dream...

Having done both, I would choose the Freedom over the Dream. We didn't like the layout of the Lido Deck main pool. It felt too closed in. The crew on the Freedom is the best we have ever encountered. They are so friendly and helpful.

We had Panorama cabins on both ships. On the Dream, you can't see directly down. The Promenade deck sticks out blocking your view.

I have only sailed on Freedom and loved the ship however my friend has sailed both Dream & Freedom and she was not a fan of Dream at all. She said it was just to big and very crowed.

Having been on both ships I'd say Frededom with friends in a heartbeat, if you can afford the additional $500. Freedom is my fav as it was our wedding cruise ship. Also your not missing much by sailing Freedom vs Dream now if you said Breeze that'd be different lol. Also the Freedom's itinerary is much more interesting.

I have only sailed on Freedom and loved the ship however my friend has sailed both Dream & Freedom and she was not a fan of Dream at all. She said it was just to big and very crowed.

Just another vote for the Freedom! Not impressed at all with the Dream unless you're interested in a cove balcony, which for us, was the only highlight of the cruise on the Dream. MUCH better itinerary on the Freedom too. :)

• 8 months later...