Can you trade rooms with someone after boarding?

klepton

On a recent cruise I was contacted by the TA that they had a client ( using same TA as me) that wanted my cabin and was asking me to switch with them. Also needs to be noted that there was no incentive for me to do so.

The people wanting my cabin had booked just 4 days before the sailing date and I booked the cabin in question at least a year in advance. Their reason for wanting my cabin was exactly the reason I booked it in the first place. So of course I took issue with the fact that the other people had the nerve to even ask that I switch given that they booked at the last minute. Needless to say I didn't make the switch.

Bottom line OP should not expect that the passengers in the adjoining cabin to willing give it up.

I'm increasing suspicious of the OPs claims that there won't be any hard feelings. It isn't WIN WIN. We have no idea if there are babies or party animals in the cabin next to the cabin where you want to relocate your neighbors. There isn't any world where you know the move is WIN WIN.

You're asking those people to do you a favor. Ask me that way, before i unpack and without a long line I might say yes.

Suggesting it would be a good idea to move because your infant will be loud and will keep them awake. Not nice. Rude. You think your infant will be so loud as to disrupt other passengers? Then you had no business booking the cruise. Won't the infant still be in an adjacent cabin? Are the cabin walls that much more soundproof then a connecting door?

Again ask nice is fine. Offering them enough compensation to cover the cost of a specialty restaurant is really the least you could do for their inconvenience. Suggest they move or your infant will be keeping them up.

Come to think of it my answer is now different. Let the cruise line ask them in advance. Forget about if if it doesn't get done in advance. Given the tone of your posts I don't think your request will come across as you claim you intend it to be.

You want the connecting cabin. It's not worth $50-$100 to you.

You're asking those people to do you a favor. Ask me that way, before i unpack and without a long line I might say yes.

Suggesting it would be a good idea to move because your infant will be loud and will keep them awake. Not nice. Rude. You think your infant will be so loud as to disrupt other passengers? Then you had no business booking the cruise. Won't the infant still be in an adjacent cabin? Are the cabin walls that much more soundproof then a connecting door?

Again ask nice is fine. Offering them enough compensation to cover the cost of a specialty restaurant is really the least you could do for their inconvenience. Suggest they move or your infant will be keeping them up.

I agree, they will still be sharing a wall with an infant either way.

If someone approached me and asked if I'd trade so they could have an adjoining cabin, I'd say yes. If they started talking about how their baby would bother me if I didn't, I'd be less likely to do so.

All i can say is "wow!". Your luggage delivered to your original room would be one cabin off. I'm sure since you've already made contact with those people that they would simply knock on your door if need be, or leave them in front of your door like everyone else's. Your airline flight has NOTHING to do with your cabin number. You really must have serious trust issues if you think that upon check in someone asking you for a favor would really go through the fridge and eat the food to charge to your account. I mean are you for real? It would cost you about 15 minutes of your time to walk down to the purser's desk - no one is there at check in - and ask for the switch. As for the meet & greet.... my brother upon check in was switched with the cabin next to him. It happens all the time. In an emergency, your family can contact the ship and ask for you. The ship knows what cabin you are in. Again, the ship could move you without your pre-knowledge. How is that different? If you can read, you can see the name on the cabin so others would be able to find you.

People switch cabins all the time, every cruise. Again, it will take 15 minutes of your time. How much compensation do you think you deserve?

My Exact thoughts before I read your post...WOW!!!!

I just can't believe some of these posts. "What's in it for me?", compensation, what's it worth? and the one poster who thought the OP would actually think about revenge if the other room didn't switch:eek:

Whatever happened to doing a good deed, just to do a good deed and not want/expect anything in return?

Hmmm... I'm wondering if perhaps it's time to call a time-out. In the past few posts there have been a lot of assumptions made about me, my character, and my intentions. Not sure where it's all coming from... :confused: I've stated this at every opportunity, but let me just state it again (for those of you who have missed it).

I will hold no ill-will against anyone who doesn't want to swap cabins, no matter what the reason. It's their cabin, they're entitled to it, and I have no expectation that they need to give it to me.

I also never said I would approach these people with a "win-win" situation. I said that a cabin swap "might end up being a win-win for everyone". I never said I would use that in my proposal... All I said is there are some people who might view it as a win for them as well. If it's a win for them, and a win for me, that's a win-win. Not sure why you're harping on that so much. :confused:

I never even said I would try to "convince" anyone to switch. I will pose the question, they can accept or decline, and that's the end of it.

Also not sure how you figure they'd be next to my son either way. My son will be in the suite. I'll be sleeping in the OV that's in question. If they swapped rooms, they'd be two doors down from the kids.

And yes... I actually do know who's in the cabin on the other side. It's my parents. I know they don't have a baby, and I know they aren't party animals. So even though I never claimed I could before, since you brought it up, I can guarantee that my original room will not have a baby or party animals on either side. :D

Oh well... my original question was to see if it was even possible, and thankfully that was answered. I also appreciate the helpful insights some of you provided beyond that. And to those with the not-so-helpful posts, I wish you nothing but the best in life... :D:D:D

Klepton, you come across as one of the most reasonable people imaginable. I don't get the abuse, genuinely.

As for me, I'd willingly switch because I'm a parent too and even though there is nothing in it for me I've appreciated times in the past when people have helped me and my family in similar situations, so it's a bit of karma. :cool:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't ascribe to anything underhanded in the OP's proposal. I don't think I'd have any problems switching cabins, as long as it's okay with the cruise line (and the official assignments, etc. were updated).

I think the offer of a nice dinner (with wine) in one of the specialty restaurants would be a kind gesture.

Good luck to you, klepton. No matter what happens, I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Archived