Can you trade rooms with someone after boarding?

klepton

First just a question, then I'll dive into my particular situation. Could you trade rooms with someone after boarding the ship? Someone who you're not traveling with, not in the same group, nothing like that. Just go to guest services and trade rooms?

I currently have a suite and an oceanview booked for a cruise in August. There is one oceanview room in between our two rooms, and it connects to the suite. I have no idea who has it booked, and obviously CCL won't tell me. I would very much like this connecting room, and I can't see anything special about it that would make me think they booked it for any particular reason. Since I can't get a hold of them beforehand, I wondered if I happened to see them on embarkation day before they got in their room and unpacked, if I could propose a trade to them and just see what they said. Even if they agreed though, would CCL even oblige?

Given our situation, have an infant in the suite, I would imagine that they wouldn't want to be in the connecting stateroom, and might even be glad the trade was offered.

Before I get flamed... please know that I don't think I have any right or claim to that room. Whoever booked it did so before me, and it is absolutely their stateroom. I know I'm not entitled to it in any way. I was just thinking there might be a win-win for everyone here. We get the connecting room we want, they move one door over and aren't connected to a room with a screaming baby. If they refused the trade, for whatever reason or for no reason, I would hold no ill-will.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Suggest you find the roll call on this site, and also on Cruise Critic, for your particular cruise. Long shot, but your neighbor may be out there and willing to call Carnival to offer the switch.

I'd be careful about providing toooo much information, but maybe specify a range of rooms (Balcony room between 5000 and 5020) for example.

Then, on boarding day, leave a friendly note on their door BEFORE they get unpacked.

If it were me, I'd accommodate. What's one room to the left or right? Guest services simply makes you new ID/door keys and updates the roster to show the counts (especially because the infant gets a special tiny sized life jacket)

Yes, you can do that if they are agreeable.

Seeing you would be dealing with a stranger, you should advise the office what you have done so there is no confusion as to whose onboard account belong to whom.

You'll need new ID cards/room keys but the office should be willing to do that for you, no problem.

Thanks everyone for the assurance! I appreciate the quick replies!

Suggest you find the roll call on this site, and also on Cruise Critic, for your particular cruise. Long shot, but your neighbor may be out there and willing to call Carnival to offer the switch.

I've already joined the roll call here, and will certainly attack from that angle. But I'm not hold my breath as the likelihood is very low that they'll be here.

Then, on boarding day, leave a friendly note on their door BEFORE they get unpacked.

I had thought about that too... A note left on their door with my cell number and politely telling them the situation. Maybe even tell them if they don't want to trade, I apologize in advance for the screaming as DS hasn't been sleeping well since we left home. :D :p (Totally kidding about that last part)

;) Offer them the suite if they don't want to move to the 'like' cabin. :D

You could take the two regular cabins and they can have the suite. That might persuade them.

Yeah... that would do the trick! Why didn't I think of that! :rolleyes:

I was actually expecting this response... but you were too late for me to win the bet with DW. Why couldn't you have been two posts earlier?!?!? :D

I didn't mean to offend you.

I hope you noticed the emoticons I used. :)

Seriously, there is something you don't seem to have considered and that is that particular cabin could have special meaning to these people. Maybe they spent their honeymoon there. Maybe they celebrated their 50th Anniversary in that cabin. DH and I have sailed Maasdam 35+ times and we have been in the same cabin a great many of those cruises. That particular cabin has a lot of meaning for us.

Something to consider. IMO

I didn't mean to offend you.

I hope you noticed the emoticons I used. :)

Seriously, there is something you don't seem to have considered and that is that particular cabin could have special meaning to these people. Maybe they spent their honeymoon there. Maybe they celebrated their 50th Anniversary in that cabin. DH and I have sailed Maasdam 35+ times and we have been in the same cabin a great many of those cruises. That particular cabin has a lot of meaning for us.

Something to consider. IMO

Oh gosh... no... I apologize if I came across as being offended. I seriously did say to my wife when I posted the question that one of the first two responses would be a joke suggesting trading the suite for the OV. :D You and I clearly think along the same lines with our jokes, I just wish you had come along a few minutes earlier so I could have been "right." DW called BS when I made the claim, so I guess in this case she was right... :mad:

:):):)

I hadn't considered the special significance aspect, but that's a very good point. My thought was they were probably booked with a large group where they didn't select that room particularly. Or maybe booked through a TA who selected the room for them. Or maybe it was just the first room, and hence the default when they booked online, and they didn't see a need to change it. But there absolutely could be some deeper significance to that room, especially considering how old the ship is. (Carnival Fantasy, I think it's 25 years old).

I appreciate that insight... and definitely wouldn't hold it against them if they didn't want to swap.

I can only answer for us, but...special significance or not, we'd trade with you because it would be a win all around. Cabin nostalgia is important to many, but not enough for us to say no to such a reasonable suggestion, especially with an infant in the connecting suite.;) We've got no problem with children (had one, have a 4 y/o granddaughter), but would be happy not to worry about those normal baby moments. Plus, your family would be in connecting cabins, which we think is important.

There is one other consideration. Does the oceanview you have now accomodate as many passengers as the connecting one? I ask because if the connecting holds four passengers, but the one you have only holds two, and there are four passengers in the connecting cabin, you will not be able to switch under any circumstances. Do be sure to check the passenger capacities for both.

I don't think you're unreasonable at all to ask. Best of luck.

beachchick

Yes, I would contact the cruise line now and see if they can work it out. That would make it easier all round.

Failing that, get on board very early to leave your note, and ask if a notation could be make on the computers at boarding so the people could be asked as they board.

Good point about making sure both cabins have the same bed set-up/passenger capacity-that could be a deal breaker! Offering a bucket of beer/Miami Vice/specialty coffee might not hurt either.

Try the roll call and call your TA or PVP.

There is one other consideration. Does the oceanview you have now accomodate as many passengers as the connecting one? I ask because if the connecting holds four passengers, but the one you have only holds two, and there are four passengers in the connecting cabin, you will not be able to switch under any circumstances. Do be sure to check the passenger capacities for both.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of, I just checked and it appears they are both double capacity. I also didn't mention this before, but my parents are in an OV a few more doors down. So if there's something about our OV they don't like or doesn't work for them, we could always do a three way switch with my parents.

Did you book through a TA?

If so -- have your TA call the cruise line and explain the reason you would like to have the connecting cabins.

It might work.

I booked through our Carnival PVP (Personal Vacation Planner). She's aware of the issue, and says she's working towards getting us that cabin. I don't know what, if anything, she can really do though. Maybe I'll press her a little hard to make sure she's exhausting all of her options.

Failing that, get on board very early to leave your note, and ask if a notation could be make on the computers at boarding so the people could be asked as they board.

We plan on being at the port early, and because we have a suite we get VIP check-in, so we should be one of the first on the ship. What do you mean by making a notation in the computer? You mean when we check in in the terminal? Or after we get on board go to guest services?

Given the situation, you might also ask if you could offer the OV that you prefer some OBC for their trouble. If your PVP doesn't seem to be doing anything, and some of them don't, you can also ask for the resolutions department. They can call the passengers, or their TA if they used one, and make the offer.

I'd be the same way. Moving one cabin down, when they are going to be sharing a wall with a baby, I'd move.

CCL won't tell you who has the cabin reserved, but as someone above had pointed out, would CCL contact whoever has it currently reserved or their TA, explain the reason and see if they would agree to switching rooms and then you'd know well in advance that you have two connecting rooms. Or.....are there any other connecting suite/room that CCL will move you to?

if you asked me to switch i'd want compensation.

my luggage tags are for my original room

my family at home think i'm in my original room if a emergency happens

i'd ask the cruise line to inspect both rooms for damage and problems like frig foods already eaten before i switched.

charges already on my sail card? are they smoothly going to transition?

i'm in a loose knit group like our m&g and posted my cabin number in the forums. i can't contact everyone.

my time spent at guest services getting all this done with you.

if you had the cruise line arrange your flights isn't your info tied to your cabin? will the cruise line and airline update this and be foolproof and your luggage be ok?

too many things could go wrong imho and i'd say no unless you gave me a very sweet deal.

i'd ask the cruise line to inspect both rooms for damage and problems like frig foods already eaten before i switched.

i'm in a loose knit group like our m&g and posted my cabin number in the forums. i can't contact everyone.

if you had the cruise line arrange your flights isn't your info tied to your cabin? will the cruise line and airline update this and be foolproof and your luggage be ok?

too many things could go wrong imho and i'd say no unless you gave me a very sweet deal.

All i can say is "wow!". Your luggage delivered to your original room would be one cabin off. I'm sure since you've already made contact with those people that they would simply knock on your door if need be, or leave them in front of your door like everyone else's. Your airline flight has NOTHING to do with your cabin number. You really must have serious trust issues if you think that upon check in someone asking you for a favor would really go through the fridge and eat the food to charge to your account. I mean are you for real? It would cost you about 15 minutes of your time to walk down to the purser's desk - no one is there at check in - and ask for the switch. As for the meet & greet.... my brother upon check in was switched with the cabin next to him. It happens all the time. In an emergency, your family can contact the ship and ask for you. The ship knows what cabin you are in. Again, the ship could move you without your pre-knowledge. How is that different? If you can read, you can see the name on the cabin so others would be able to find you.

People switch cabins all the time, every cruise. Again, it will take 15 minutes of your time. How much compensation do you think you deserve?

Looks like you picked the right screen name... ;)

Just kidding about that. I do totally get where you're coming from actually. I have to admit that I would be hesitant at first as well, though once I heard someone out I'd be much more willing to accommodate. You're right though, it's something that might add some hassle, and in cases where people were dishonest could cause you even more hassle.

I don't think I'm going to offer any compensation. If the person in the room starts trying the "well what's it worth to you" approach, I'll more than likely just leave things as they are and forget about it.

If the occupant does volunteer to switch, I will definitely do something for them though. Not exactly sure what, but I'd be open to ideas. Maybe a bottle of wine sent to their room, just something little to say "thank you."

The OP described the cabin swap as "WIN WIN". I don't see how it's a WIN for the other party. It's kind of your responsibility to make sure a screaming infant doesn't disturb other passengers. Almost sounds like the approach some parents use to swap seats on an airplane.

The other party would be doing you a favor. Assume you talk to them before they start to unpack. Do you think the first thing they want to do is spend 30 minutes or more going with you the pursers desk (customer service or whatever it's called). Time to walk over. Time to wait in line. Wait to have changes made. Walk back. Time to make a second trip later in the day and make sure your charges aren't going on my bill.

I'd probably do it if you asked nicely but not if you tried this WIN WIN line of *****. What do I think is fair compensation? Whatever dinner for two costs in the specialty restaurant. More if the other passenger is willing to wait on a 30 minute line with you.

My guess is the cruise line will be making an effort. Assuming the passenger already said no the cruise line you're either out of luck or better be prepared to make a deal.

Forget voice mail. Forget a note. You need to be waiting in your cabin. Not important enough for you to be waiting for me? Then it's certainly not important enough for me to delay unpacking, try to track you down then make the change.

The cruise line is trying to work with you. If they tell you the answer is no tell your planner you're willing to pay $XXX credit if they agree to move.

The OP described the cabin swap as "WIN WIN". I don't see how it's a WIN for the other party. It's kind of your responsibility to make sure a screaming infant doesn't disturb other passengers. Almost sounds like the approach some parents use to swap seats on an airplane.

The other party would be doing you a favor. Assume you talk to them before they start to unpack. Do you think the first thing they want to do is spend 30 minutes or more going with you the pursers desk (customer service or whatever it's called). Time to walk over. Time to wait in line. Wait to have changes made. Walk back. Time to make a second trip later in the day and make sure your charges aren't going on my bill.

I'd probably do it if you asked nicely but not if you tried this WIN WIN line of *****. What do I think is fair compensation? Whatever dinner for two costs in the specialty restaurant. More if the other passenger is willing to wait on a 30 minute line with you.

My guess is the cruise line will be making an effort. Assuming the passenger already said no the cruise line you're either out of luck or better be prepared to make a deal.

Forget voice mail. Forget a note. You need to be waiting in your cabin. Not important enough for you to be waiting for me? Then it's certainly not important enough for me to delay unpacking, try to track you down then make the change.

The cruise line is trying to work with you. If they tell you the answer is no tell your planner you're willing to pay $XXX credit if they agree to move.

I hear what you're saying, and I certainly know there are people who think like you do. There are also people who don't think like you do, and think like some of the other people who have commented and said they'd accommodate. There's no universal answer to this, and I know that. I also know that, if my neighbors agree, they'll be doing me a favor.

I said it *might* be a win-win for everyone. There are people (obviously not you) who would jump at the chance to move another cabin away from a baby. They might be very glad to get the offer. In those cases, it's a win-win. In your case, not so much. If someone doesn't care about being next to a baby, then obviously that takes some of the "win" out of it for them. In that case, it would just come down to if they were willing to sacrifice some time to do something nice for someone. If so, great! If not, no big deal, we'll enjoy our vacation anyway. Either way, there's no ill-will.

The main thing I want to avoid is a negotiation. Not that I don't enjoy negotiating, I actually enjoy buying new cars from the dealership and negotiating the price, but it's a bad way to start a vacation and meet new people. In a negotiation, someone could walk away feeling like they got the shaft. And I certainly don't want this to be a big deal and cause bad feelings. It'll be a simple request, a simple answer, and then that's the end of it.

I'll disagree with you on a few items though. You can't always keep a baby quiet, no matter what you do. Sometimes babies just cry. Sometimes they're cranky. And sometimes, especially at his age now, he just randomly screams out in delight (that's the loudest of all his sounds). It's the parent's responsibility to do the best they can to keep their child quiet, but you can't keep an almost 1 year old quiet all the time.

The other thing... I think a note is a "far" less confrontational way to approach the situation than waiting in the hall and ambushing someone the second they get to their stateroom. With a note, they can read everything and make a decision without having to talk to me at all. I know this doesn't necessarily work to my advantage, but it's far more considerate to them than stalking their door until they get there and bombarding them with it right away.

But your point is well taken, some people will be very hesitant or resistant to the idea altogether. Then we drop it and enjoy our trip. Some people will want to negotiate compensation, which I won't do, so we drop it and enjoy our trip. Some people will accept, so we switch rooms, send them a nice gift as a thank you, and enjoy our trip.

It's disturbing me how you keep saying/using baby as the reason to convince these folks they should move.

I feel an undertone that you'll show them what for if they refuse you.

I'm uncomfortable baby is the issue. It's the parents' responsibility to sooth and comfort their baby for baby's sake in addition to courtesy to others who might have their sleep or quiet enjoyment interrupted. The neighbors have every right to expect quiet enjoyment in their cabin and neighbors should take their best care to not disturb them. A few times you've made reference (with added notes of kidding or smiles) they would do well to avoid sharing a wall with a cabin where a baby is present.

Please don't 'get even' if they refuse you. You may never know their private/personal reasons for not moving. They may not wish to share their reason and they are doing nothing wrong by remaining in the cabin they booked and looked forward to occupying.

JMO and I certainly mean no offense. I'm just offering something to think about that really applies to all of us as neighbors in a community setting.... on a ship, in a hotel, at a dining table etc.

Archived