Sailing out of NYC

misssea

I read that there are 2 terminals. How do you know which one you have? How is the embarkation process? How warm is NYC around the end of September (I live in Western NY so it is usually cooler here than there). Any ideas about where to stay if we fly in the night before? If cruising in the fall, should I take a light jacket just until we get further south?

I read that there are 2 terminals. How do you know which one you have? How is the embarkation process? How warm is NYC around the end of September (I live in Western NY so it is usually cooler here than there). Any ideas about where to stay if we fly in the night before? If cruising in the fall, should I take a light jacket just until we get further south?

There are terminals in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Bayonne, NJ. If you are sailing on Carnival, you will be going out of the one in Manhattan. There are 2 piers, but you will be able to see your ship and which one it's docked at. There are plenty of people to help you out and direct you to the correct place.

Embarkation is usually smooth - they are fairly well organized and keep the lines moving.

It's often HOT in NY in Sept, but usually warm. I'd take a light jacket just in case. It can be cool on the open decks if it's cloudy.

Can't help too much with hotels - we live in NJ, so we just take a car over. Hotels in Jersey are cheaper if you are flying into Newark. If you're flying into Kennedy or La Guardia- you'll probably want Manhattan. Caution - Manhattan hotels are VERY expensive. The piers are off of 12th Ave (West Side Highway) in the 50s (street numbers)

There is a website for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal - I'd post a link, but I can't Google or I'll lose my post!

Have a great cruise and enjoy!

Oh - you want to be on the highest deck for sail away! The City is on the left facing the bow and the Statue of Liberty will be on your right. Don't miss going under the bridge!

FYI- I have sailed Carnival and NCL out of Manhattan and Princess from Red Hook (Brooklyn). Due to Hurricane Irene there was no parking in Brooklyn (Flood Zone A) so we really had to scramble. Lo and behold we found a hotel in Brooklyn with a cruise and park package that turned out to be way cheaper than the parking would have been. You might want to check it out. I can try to remember the place if you want or you can just google it.

I'm really excited to do this for the first time! I live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and see the ships pass under the Verrazano all the time. This time I'll be there and able to see MY apartment!

This will be my first time sailing from the City. I've sailed three times from Brooklyn on Princess. Once we left late and the other two times it was foggy:(. I was still staring at the shore trying to see Staten Island and Brooklyn (my hometown) after most people had stopped. I stopped shortly after my foggy (damp) view of the Parachute Jump and Wonder Wheel in Coney Island. I hope that you have a beautiful clear day when you pass by and get to see your building.

hi everyone, first post here but been reading these boards for a long time.

anyway, i will be sailing out of the port of manhattan on may 1st. the only time that someone can drop me off at my train station is at 7am. therefore, ill be in nyc by 8am. would i be able to drop my bags off at the pier so i dont have to walk around ny with all my bags?

thanks,

mark

mad06028:

I don't think they'll let you because of security. We left on 9/11/11 so due to the day they may have been extra cautious. The only problem is getting off the West Side Highway to the pier, backed up and people cutting in line held us up for more than 45 minutes. We're from Staten Island, so Bayonne is easiest for us. (Hopefully - the 5 boro bike tour is the day we're leaving.

How far is it from a NJ airport hotel to the port? Should we take a taxi to the port from there or do some hotels shuttle you over? Do you think it would be cheaper to fly into Newark and then pay to get taken to the port or fly into NYC and stay at a hotel near the port? I have never been to NY so I have no clue!

This will be my first time sailing from the City. I've sailed three times from Brooklyn on Princess. Once we left late and the other two times it was foggy:(. I was still staring at the shore trying to see Staten Island and Brooklyn (my hometown) after most people had stopped. I stopped shortly after my foggy (damp) view of the Parachute Jump and Wonder Wheel in Coney Island. I hope that you have a beautiful clear day when you pass by and get to see your building.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited and I'll probably be lingering on deck a little longer than most, just like you!

How far is it from a NJ airport hotel to the port? Should we take a taxi to the port from there or do some hotels shuttle you over? Do you think it would be cheaper to fly into Newark and then pay to get taken to the port or fly into NYC and stay at a hotel near the port? I have never been to NY so I have no clue!

Its very unlikely any hotel near any of the three airports will shuttle you to the nyc terminal. All three are in the less than an hour range depending on traffic. Newark is prob cheaper but check travelocity or someplace else.

Manhattan hotels are over-priced, and yet The Rich manage to keep those prices up there! :cool:

Normally I would agree with you on the rich part, but in this case it really is supply and demand. Everyone who comes to NY wants to stay in Manhattan and most want to be in Midtown. Only so many hotel rooms to go around and LOTS of people want them. The hotels charge what the traffic will bear.

If anyone gets a hotel outsides of Manhattan, your best bet is a car service. I've heard Dial 7 is good. I may be trying them for our cruise in June. We live in NJ, but it's cheaper to take a car/limo service than it is to drive and park. If your hotel has concierge service, they probably have someone who gives a discount rate.

The Sheraton at Lincoln Harbor offers a shuttle service to the NY Waterways Ferry, IIRC. They are cheaper than a NY hotel and you get a spectacular view of the NY skyline at night. If you are sailing during the week, they used to have a ferry stop right there.

The Waterways Ferry takes you to just south of the Intrepid and it's about $5.00 (plus tip and about .50 a piece for luggage in the trunk) fare to the pier. You can walk it easily if you are fit and not carrying too much luggage. We've done it several times.

hi everyone, first post here but been reading these boards for a long time.

anyway, i will be sailing out of the port of manhattan on may 1st. the only time that someone can drop me off at my train station is at 7am. therefore, ill be in nyc by 8am. would i be able to drop my bags off at the pier so i dont have to walk around ny with all my bags?

thanks,

mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

8 am is still a bit early for check in, the porters will be busy handling all of the debarking passengers. Usually embarking passengers start checking bags around 10 am.

If you're looking for an alternative to checking your bags for a couple of hours, you might try Schwartz Luggage Storage, they're conveniently located right near Penn. Station.

http://www.schwartztravel.com/

Jonathan

I have sailed several times from Manhattan and have been able to check my luggage as early as 9. It is absolutely nuts there at that time, but there was always one porter accepting and piling the embarkation luggage on a cart.

In terms of hotels, there are some reasonably priced ones in manhattan... Just not as close as you may want. But taxis and subways make it easier. Check those websites with online hotel pricing

Last month I found a real gem of a hotel - City Club Hotel on West 44th between 5th and 6th Avenues. A really nice hotel, quiet area (but close to Times Square), and freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in your room. The rooms are a little small, but that's fairly common in NYC. And before taxes the room was under $200, which is very good for NYC.

If you are sailing out of Manhattan, its best to fly in to La Guardia or JFK since Liberty is FAR and if you cab it from NJ, it will be more expensive. There are several hotels around LaGuardia, which is closer by miles to NYC than JFK. There's a Marriott, Howard Johnson, etc., which will considerably have lower rates than Manhattan. The only Manhattan hotel that has a reasonable price that I know is Hotel Pennsylvania. Although situated in a good location, the actual hotel is eh, let's say, not my taste :rolleyes: but its right next to Madison Square Garden. Keep researching on Manhattan hotels, you might get lucky. Tripadvisor might be agood place to start. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Archived