Question on purchases toward Mariner status

Kesstral

I had read on the boards that online (pre-cruise) and on board purchases count towards extra "points" every $300 spent. I was wondering how it works for items purchased before the cruise for someone on another booking number? Does anyone receive the benefits of these purchases and if so would it be me for buying them or the person on the booking for receiving them? I would assume if I pay for OBC for my mom she would gain the benefit of spending that credit on board, but what about other items like dinner reservations or drink cards?

The person receiving a gift gets the bonus days for the value of that gift.

If you pre-pay for dinner for you and Mom, you get the credit for the days.

Also, you would get the credit on the ship if you pay for Pinnacle at the time you dine vs having booked in advance.

The person receiving a gift gets the bonus days for the value of that gift.

If you pre-pay for dinner for you and Mom, you get the credit for the days.

I think if the purchaser is on board with the recipient, the purchaser gets the points for pre-purchases of everything, not just a PG booking. The recipient only gets them if there is no purchaser booking to apply them to, like gifts from a TA or friends & family not going.

Otherwise, if you paid for an excursion for both yourself and others on board they would have to add the credits to two accounts, and they don't bother to do that, as I recall.

We sent flowers and the recipient got the points.

DH (John) is pretty sure that when we pre-paid for a Tamarind dinner and an excursion for us and his DB & DSiL on the Nieuw Amsterdam that we got all credit.

Whenever we have taken others to dinner in Pinnacle or Tamarind and we have paid, we got credit for the days. Whenever we have picked up a bar tab, we got the credit.

However, when we sent flowers, they got the credit.

Interesting. Both DH and I pay for Pre purchases and we both seem to get the credit for the spend. DH pays for all additional spend on board and we both get the credit for the spend. It must be accumulated against the stateroom, I suppose. I bought OBC for my son - I don't know who got the credit for that - I assumed it was my son. :confused:

Mumsy.

Interesting. Both DH and I pay for Pre purchases and we both seem to get the credit for the spend. DH pays for all additional spend on board and we both get the credit for the spend. It must be accumulated against the stateroom, I suppose. I bought OBC for my son - I don't know who got the credit for that - I assumed it was my son. :confused:

Mumsy.

Both you and DH get credit for the spending done 'attached' to your cabin.

DH and I have the exact number of days as we have each taken all our cruises together and everything we spent was credited to both of us.

Now this is a question perhaps even the experts have not encountered.

On a family cruise of eight adults and eight children we'll be paying for all excursions. Two at least will be around the $100 mark for the adults -- all children are over four and the another two at least around $70. I guestimate the total cost will be between four and five thousand dollars.

We only need a couple of points to move to three star which this spending would achieve. Would we qualify for the new level upon boarding since these must be prepaid?

Thanks experts,

Ruth

Whenever we have taken others to dinner in Pinnacle or Tamarind and we have paid, we got credit for the days. Whenever we have picked up a bar tab, we got the credit.

However, when we sent flowers, they got the credit.

You made me go check! We pre-paid for four excursions for four people and he paid me back his half in cash. We got the spending credit for all of it. Maybe it makes a difference whether the purchaser "participated" or not. That is, if we paid for an excursion for them that we didn't go on, maybe they would have gotten the credit instead? :confused: That would be analogous to sending flowers, wine, etc that you didn't share.

I bought OBC for my son - I don't know who got the credit for that - I assumed it was my son. :confused:
Nobody get credits for buying OBC. You get the credits for what you spend on board, and the OBC pays that bill. If he didn't spend enough to use all the OBC he would have gotten it back in cash, and no credits for it.

Nobody get credits for buying OBC. You get the credits for what you spend on board, and the OBC pays that bill. If he didn't spend enough to use all the OBC he would have gotten it back in cash, and no credits for it.

Of course. Wasn't thinking. Just having an airhead moment. :o

Mumsy.

You made me go check! We pre-paid for four excursions for four people and he paid me back his half in cash. We got the spending credit for all of it. Maybe it makes a difference whether the purchaser "participated" or not. That is, if we paid for an excursion for them that we didn't go on, maybe they would have gotten the credit instead? :confused: That would be analogous to sending flowers, wine, etc that you didn't share.

Maybe.....

Or maybe we should have gotten the credit and someone goofed. It didn't matter to us as we were so far over Four Star at the time and now Five Star that the credits for the days didn't count for anything for us. Had it mattered about getting the credit, we would have looked into it but there was no reason to bother.

If I book shore excursions before the cruise the cost goes on my credit card right away. Since it's nt OBC, will I get credit days for the amount spent?

We get credit for any spending we do prior to boarding.

If we pre book and pay for Pinnacle on our credit card, we get credit for that spending along with excursion purchases. Soda cards, liquor orders, bottles of wine, flowers.... anything you book and pay for in advance will be credited.

Archived