First Cruisers of the Season...

tee_harbor

Well, Fairbanks just set a new low temperature record-it was 2 above the night before. Snow is forecast for Fairbanks and we might see flurries over the next few days....

The paper says the system that is pulling down cold arctic air is not supposed to change anytime soon...So I would brace for eye opening temps.:D

Just remember the lines from an Old Robert Service Poem: The Cremation of Sam McGee. After their friend from Tennessee dies they put him in a big furnace to cremate him. Later, they open the door to see how it is going:

"And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;

And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.

It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm—

Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

Truly loved that poem...thanks for the smile!!

I'm hoping it's cold when we go in 28 days! It will be an awesome break from the Florida heat =) I've got winter gear purchased & borrowed to keep me cozy warm and I already know I do not care if I am the only person bundled up at 50F in full blown winter gear while everyone else wears shorts! That happened to us in California in February. There was snow on the ground, and flurries and I had layers under my layers and there were people in shorts. I'm sure they thought I was ridiculous, but I was warm. I can't wait to see Alaska and if it's cold, well that will just make it seem even more like the far away northern land I imagine =)

And mine is 18 days away...I don't care either...I expect Alaska to be cold and prefer it that way...If I wanted warm weather I would have booked another caribbean cruise ;)

I agree. I want there to be snow on the mountains and chilly temps.

I'm hoping it's cold when we go in 28 days! It will be an awesome break from the Florida heat =) I've got winter gear purchased & borrowed to keep me cozy warm and I already know I do not care if I am the only person bundled up at 50F in full blown winter gear while everyone else wears shorts! That happened to us in California in February. There was snow on the ground, and flurries and I had layers under my layers and there were people in shorts. I'm sure they thought I was ridiculous, but I was warm. I can't wait to see Alaska and if it's cold, well that will just make it seem even more like the far away northern land I imagine =)

I too enjoy the cool temps every once in awhile. I refuse to be cold, so I will be with you, all bundled up and looking like the Michelin Man. Don't care what others are wearing. I will be wearing what is comfortable for me.

Well, to those looking for a little cool weather, rest assured, that you will probably find it. Remember that Fairbanks can hit 80-90 in the middle of July, but most other places rarely get over 70-75.

As I write this today it is about 36 outside my window (at 8:30am my time).

So..Keep cool.:cool:

Well, as Gomer Pyle would say SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!! It appears that spring has come to Alaska. Anchorage is looking forward to temps in the mid 50s for highs -that might not seem great to you, but for us-it is tee shirt and shorts weather! Juneau is going to be sunny and in the 60s this week -but then it get back to rain and 50s next week....

But it is getting better!

I don't know. It is looking pretty good to me. Crossing my fingers that we are heading in this direction.

May 7 May 8 May 9 May 10 May 11 May 12 May 13

High temperature: 56 °F 57 °F 56 °F 60 °F 64 °F 70 °F 74 °F

Low temperature: 39 °F 42 °F 42 °F 45 °F 46 °F 50 °F 51 °F

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/anchorage/ext

Well, as Gomer Pyle would say SURPRISE SURPRISE SURPRISE!!!! It appears that spring has come to Alaska. Anchorage is looking forward to temps in the mid 50s for highs -that might not seem great to you, but for us-it is tee shirt and shorts weather! Juneau is going to be sunny and in the 60s this week -but then it get back to rain and 50s next week....

Oh yea! :D:p

This is a great thread!

I saw a couple of photos of Ketchikan and there wasn't much snow anywhere on the surrounding mountains!

I am hoping that Juneau, Haines, Skagway and Seward will have at least some snow.

Usually any cruise in May is a perfect time for scenery. Glacier Bay will come through with the white stuff, though, it always does!

Thanks to all the Alaska posters for their updates! Really appreciated.

This is a great thread!

I saw a couple of photos of Ketchikan and there wasn't much snow anywhere on the surrounding mountains!

I am hoping that Juneau, Haines, Skagway and Seward will have at least some snow.

Usually any cruise in May is a perfect time for scenery. Glacier Bay will come through with the white stuff, though, it always does!

Thanks to all the Alaska posters for their updates! Really appreciated.

Southeast gets too much rain for the snow to stick around. Seward, however will have snow all over the mountains when you get there. It will take until end then of June before most of the snow is off the mountains.

Oh, 40s-50s is shorts weather for us. We just had 4 inches of snow today. It's usually snowing until the middle of June and the snow on the ground is gone about July. But then it starts back up around September. The Leadville joke is "we have winter and August".

Looking forward to Alaska, whatever the weather!!!

Hoping the snow sticks around a little longer. We don't get much in our part of Tennessee. Headed to Fairbanks Saturday. Land tour starts Wednesday and cruise starts on the Diamond Princess Saturday, 5/18. So excited to see your beautiful state.

Oh, 40s-50s is shorts weather for us. We just had 4 inches of snow today. It's usually snowing until the middle of June and the snow on the ground is gone about July. But then it starts back up around September. The Leadville joke is "we have winter and August".

Ha! You must be in the mountains. Down in the flat lands, it melts fast-once it warms up. Today It was 55 in parts of town.

In the interior (Fairbanks) it can get quite a bit warmer than Anchorage. Southeast can get warm-but generally when the sin shines -and it doesn't do that much down there.

You should have no problem...

Hoping the snow sticks around a little longer. We don't get much in our part of Tennessee. Headed to Fairbanks Saturday. Land tour starts Wednesday and cruise starts on the Diamond Princess Saturday, 5/18. So excited to see your beautiful state.

Oh you'll see snow...whether you can walk around on it or not may depend on how high you want to climb.....:D

Just off Carnival Miracle's first Alaska trip, sailing from Vancouver on April 29.

Juneau on May 2 was cold, windy and rainy. Some whale watching trips were canceled, others went and saw orcas. Helicopter tours were also canceled.

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake was cold, foggy at the pass, bitter wind, still plenty of snow. Sun broke thru a little in the afternoon. Emerald Lake was still pretty well frozen, with some break-up. Back in Skagway the wind was biting.

Glacier Bay was grey, grey and grey, with a steady cold downpour. Even the blue of the glaciers was grey!

Ketchikan was gloriously sunny, low 60s by late afternoon. I think that's why it was my favorite port!

I've named this trip The Fifty Shades of Grey Cruise. Regardless, it was Alaska, and awesome!

Any news on the drive to Emerald Lake? I thought there was a website I looked at last year that belonged to someone who posted pictures as the lake thawed in May. I can't seem to find it now.

I snapped this photo of Emerald Lake on 5/24/2012. As you can see, the lake wasn't frozen. We encountered a lot of snow near the Canadian border (the roads were clear), but it was much warmer on the Yukon side.

In fact, I took a picture of the thermometer at Carcross that day -- because it read 90 degrees! I hope you will get the same beautiful day that we enjoyed. :)

emerald_lake.jpg.e799eb0510e97c0b192887397a3594d4.jpg

I guess it depends on what you are used to! 40s - I have on a jacket! 70s I put on shorts...usually.....

Archived