First Cruisers of the Season...

tee_harbor

In case you're not checking the weather. It's snowing in Juneau right now. As been for 2 days, enough snow that the city plows had to put their blades back on. :(

Although it seems to be mixing with rain enough to wash away downtown, it will certainly be collecting at the glacier. I'm not sure if the helicopter tours will be going, as the cloud cover comes in pretty low with snow. I believe the sled dogs are up on the glacier though; I've seen the empty dog trucks driving around town.

The extended forecast shows it snowing through the week when the first ships around. I know Haines has had snow too, but I don't know about Skagway, or the conditions for the drive to Emerald Lake.

The extended forecast shows it snowing through the week when the first ships around. I know Haines has had snow too, but I don't know about Skagway, or the conditions for the drive to Emerald Lake.

Skagway has been getting flurries and more are forecast for the next few days. The drive to Emerald has been very poor the past 3 days, and the avalanche hazard at the moment is rated High.

Seward weather day has a low of 36 and a high of mid-40's. Last years more mellow weather was a fluke.

It was a pretty cold mid-May to early June last year compared to normal. I have gone to Alaska many times that time of year and last year was cold, dry but cold :)

It was nicer in Alaska last year as Penny said when we were on the first ship of the season. We still had snow in Dutch Harbor and cold weather in Kodiak but Seward was in the 50's although there was a lot of snow on the sides of the road and Ketchikan was in the high 50's. Glacier Bay was magical.

Keith

It was nicer in Alaska last year as Penny said when we were on the first ship of the season. We still had snow in Dutch Harbor and cold weather in Kodiak but Seward was in the 50's although there was a lot of snow on the sides of the road and Ketchikan was in the high 50's. Glacier Bay was magical.

Keith

We had snow on the ground in Whittier at the end of May last year. We had a lot of 40 degree high temp days.

I agree, cold/dry is better than wet!

Another two feet of snow in Juneau today. I would say the mountain trails at the glacier will be covered, but the Nugget Falls one should be fine, as it's melting quickly when exposed to sun and rain. The tram's trails will be definitely closed, so you'll need to decide if it's worth $28 to stand on the platform and take a picture.

Yes, it has been cold this year...Colder than normal and, from what I can see...it is not going to warm up anytime soon.

Still, compared to the dead of winter, it is better....:)

One more thing, I prefer snow to rain-at least if it is going to be cold.

Yes, it has been cold this year...Colder than normal and, from what I can see...it is not going to warm up anytime soon.

Still, compared to the dead of winter, it is better....:)

One more thing, I prefer snow to rain-at least if it is going to be cold.

I don't know. It is looking pretty good to me. Crossing my fingers that we are heading in this direction.

May 7 May 8 May 9 May 10 May 11 May 12 May 13

High temperature: 56 °F 57 °F 56 °F 60 °F 64 °F 70 °F 74 °F

Low temperature: 39 °F 42 °F 42 °F 45 °F 46 °F 50 °F 51 °F

http://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/anchorage/ext

I don't know. It is looking pretty good to me. Crossing my fingers that we are heading in this direction.

May 7May 8May 9May 10May 11May 12May 13

High temperature:56 °F57 °F56 °F60 °F64 °F70 °F74 °F

Low temperature: 39 °F42 °F42 °F45 °F46 °F50 °F51 °F

Are you on Carnival Miracle?? If so, we'll be there with you!! :)

May 7 May 8 May 9 May 10 May 11 May 12 May 13

High temperature: 56 °F 57 °F 56 °F 60 °F 64 °F 70 °F 74 °F

Low temperature: 39 °F 42 °F 42 °F 45 °F 46 °F 50 °F 51 °F

Well, you can always dream.....It was 43 out there today and I was comfortable enough to go out without a jacket in short sleeves-of course, that was just for short walks...By the middle of may it should be up in the mid 50's. It only gets to the 70's for two or 3 days in June/July.

I just looked at a chart for average temps in Juneau for May. On May 9 your looking at about 53/39 by the 12th it is up to 55/41.

The temps are about the same for Anchorage.

Oh-we are running about 10 degrees below normal....Think down jackets....

I'll be in Juneau a week tomorrow. Being from the wet coast of Canada I'm pretty much accustomed to the damp/cold weather so I know it wont ruin our trip (we went last May and it rained a lot). I know people with cancel-prone excusions might hate me for saying this but I wouldn't mind snow while we're there. Hopefully now that I've put that out there the warming trend will continue :P

Cool?....No cold and I live just outside of Anchorage and I still have 2' of snow...in my yard and I am still running my dogs on the trails....I think this is one of the coldest springs (?) really? that we have had since the last ice age....Bring coats, etc.....It may heat up to 40's in the day time but it was 17 at my house the other night....

Well, you can always dream.....It was 43 out there today and I was comfortable enough to go out without a jacket in short sleeves-of course, that was just for short walks...By the middle of may it should be up in the mid 50's. It only gets to the 70's for two or 3 days in June/July.

I just looked at a chart for average temps in Juneau for May. On May 9 your looking at about 53/39 by the 12th it is up to 55/41.

The temps are about the same for Anchorage.

Oh-we are running about 10 degrees below normal....Think down jackets....

I know I am only dreaming. :D That was seriously what that website was forecasting though. I will be perfectly happy if it is in the 50's. Preferably high 50's. :cool: The reason we go in May is so that it will be chilly. I don't want it to be 74 degrees when I am there.

You guys are really giving this poor Florida girl fits. It is in the mid to upper 80s every day here and the humidity, while not as bad as it normally is this time of year, is definitely felt if you are working in the yard. We fly out to Anchorage 5/18 so I'm hoping that at least it will get out of the 40s during the day. At night I plan on being inside the hotel room - at least until we cruise on 5/25 - with my feet wrapped in whatever is warm.

Wow, it sounds like I'm going to get whiplash just from the weather change. :eek:

You guys are really giving this poor Florida girl fits. It is in the mid to upper 80s every day here and the humidity, while not as bad as it normally is this time of year, is definitely felt if you are working in the yard. We fly out to Anchorage 5/18 so I'm hoping that at least it will get out of the 40s during the day. At night I plan on being inside the hotel room - at least until we cruise on 5/25 - with my feet wrapped in whatever is warm.

Wow, it sounds like I'm going to get whiplash just from the weather change. :eek:

Well, Fairbanks just set a new low temperature record-it was 2 above the night before. Snow is forecast for Fairbanks and we might see flurries over the next few days....

The paper says the system that is pulling down cold arctic air is not supposed to change anytime soon...So I would brace for eye opening temps.:D

Just remember the lines from an Old Robert Service Poem: The Cremation of Sam McGee. After their friend from Tennessee dies they put him in a big furnace to cremate him. Later, they open the door to see how it is going:

"And there sat Sam, looking cool and calm, in the heart of the furnace roar;

And he wore a smile you could see a mile, and he said: "Please close that door.

It's fine in here, but I greatly fear you'll let in the cold and storm—

Since I left Plumtree, down in Tennessee, it's the first time I've been warm."

The shock of Alaska temps can be an issue for many people. I feel sorry for the folks who believe the cruise line brochures and videos which always show the best of Alaska weather.

For those flying thrught DFW this Thursday morning May 2, the low temp is expected to be 36F.

The shock of Alaska temps can be an issue for many people. I feel sorry for the folks who believe the cruise line brochures and videos which always show the best of Alaska weather.

For those flying thrught DFW this Thursday morning May 2, the low temp is expected to be 36F.

But, when it is great, it cannot be beat! Unfortunately, this year does not seem to be one of the best - so far. It may yet turn into a great summer....At least I hope so....

For my first time in Alaska (25 days away!) I don't care if icicles develop on my eyelashes! I'm just going to be thrilled to be there! :)

L

And mine is 18 days away...I don't care either...I expect Alaska to be cold and prefer it that way...If I wanted warm weather I would have booked another caribbean cruise ;)

And mine is 18 days away...I don't care either...I expect Alaska to be cold and prefer it that way...If I wanted warm weather I would have booked another caribbean cruise ;)

I'm with you on this ... Only 27 days away from heading north! Might have to pay for one more piece of luggage for the extra jackets and sweaters but it will be worth every penny :D I live in Kansas and we are expecting snow on Thursday.

Archived