Aquarium/Zoo

eeyore81

We spent two hours enjoying the informative exhibits at the aquarium. Itā€™s not the newest facility but it does have several cool exhibits.

Ā 

Tips for Bermuda Visitors: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Ā 

We spent almost four hours... I guess that's what we got for admiring every gecko and peacock and for letting tamarinds play with our sunglasses ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses. We will plan a few hours. Does anyone know how long it takes to get there? We will be on the Explorer of the Seas.

Ā 

Ā 

Ferry ride from the Dockyard to Hamilton, about 20 minutes; bus ride from Hamilton to BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo), about 20 minutes on a route #10 or #11 bus. Plus waiting time for bus and ferry.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

Ferry ride from the Dockyard to Hamilton, about 20 minutes; bus ride from Hamilton to BAMZ (Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo), about 20 minutes on a route #10 or #11 bus. Plus waiting time for bus and ferry.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

Can we take a taxi directly to BAMZ from the cruise ship?

Can we take a taxi directly to BAMZ from the cruise ship?

Ā 

Yes you could. I would estimate the one way taxi fare would be about $45.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel.

Ā 

A less expensive alternative would be to take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the taxi to BAMZ. I would estimate the one way taxi fare for that would be about $14.00.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

Yes you could. I would estimate the one way taxi fare would be about $45.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel.

Ā 

A less expensive alternative would be to take the ferry to Hamilton and then take the taxi to BAMZ. I would estimate the one way taxi fare for that would be about $14.00.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

Ā 

No way, it costs $80 to get from my mom's house in Southampton to the airport at 5 am in the morning (no traffic). The distance from the ship to BAMZ is roughly the same if not greater. That was four years ago, after that I make sure to have someone take me.

Ā 

It will probably cost +$45 to get to BAMZ.

No way, it costs $80 to get from my mom's house in Southampton to the airport at 5 am in the morning (no traffic). The distance from the ship to BAMZ is roughly the same if not greater. That was four years ago, after that I make sure to have someone take me.

Ā 

It will probably cost +$45 to get to BAMZ.

Ā 

You paid a substantial surcharge by taking a taxi at 5 am, which would partially account for the fare you paid. Fares for 1-4 passengers are 25% higher than normal, 5-6 passengers 50% higher than normal from midnight to 6 am (and all day Sunday and major holidays).

We're not even especially fishy/zooey people, but have been to BAMZ twice and enjoyed about two hours there each time. Transportation suggestions are spot on. Addenda: Swizzle Inn is not that far away ...and allow the same amount of time ;).

Why not buy a transportation pass? You can get a 4-day pass for less than this one taxi ride.

Ā 

You can purchase multi-day passes which are good on all busses and ferries. Buses are plentiful and service most areas of interest. Bus stops are designated by colored poles. A pole with a top that is pink runs inbound to Hamilton. A blue topped pole is outbound service from Hamilton.

Ā 

Bus routes and schedule information, visit http://www.bermudabuses.com/.

Ferry routes and schedule information, visit http://www.seaexpress.bm/

Ā 

Tips for Bermuda Travelers: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Why not buy a transportation pass? You can get a 4-day pass for less than this one taxi ride.

Ā 

You can purchase multi-day passes which are good on all busses and ferries. Buses are plentiful and service most areas of interest. Bus stops are designated by colored poles. A pole with a top that is pink runs inbound to Hamilton. A blue topped pole is outbound service from Hamilton.

Ā 

Bus routes and schedule information, visit http://www.bermudabuses.com/.

Ferry routes and schedule information, visit http://www.seaexpress.bm/

Ā 

Tips for Bermuda Travelers: http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/bermuda.html

Ā 

No cruise passenger needs to buy a 4 day transportation pass because ships no longer dock in Bermuda for 4 days. The maximum stay is now 3 days.

Ā 

The link for bus schedules is incorrect and in any event not an official government site. The correct and official government site for bus schedules and routes is http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity&CommunityID=252

So if you take the ferry over to hamilton, what is the best way to get to the zoo/aquarium from there? i'm not opposed to taking a cab from there but how would I go about it?

Ā 

Ā 

If you don't mind riding on a public bus, then take a route #10 or #11 bus from the bus terminal on Church St to BAMZ.

Ā 

To take a taxi, as you leave the ferry terminal take a right on Front St which is the first street you would come to. There is a taxi stand on Front St less than a Ā¼ mile from the ferry terminal.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

If you don't mind riding on a public bus, then take a route #10 or #11 bus from the bus terminal on Church St to BAMZ.

Ā 

To take a taxi, as you leave the ferry terminal take a right on Front St which is the first street you would come to. There is a taxi stand on Front St less than a Ā¼ mile from the ferry terminal.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

Ā 

Thank you!!! Do you know about how long is the cab ride and about how much?

Thank you!!! Do you know about how long is the cab ride and about how much?

Ā 

Ā 

Since the trip is 20 minutes by bus, then the cab ride would be about 10 minutes.

Ā 

The cab fare for 1 to 4 passengers would be about $14.00, for 5 or 6 passengers, about $17.00, weekday travel.

Ā 

Ā 

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. Appreciate the help. We're thinking of doing both the same day and didn't know whether to go from Hamilton or St. Georges.

Ā 

You can do it in either direction. The distances for each segment... from Hamilton to BAMZ, from BAMZ to the caves, and from the caves to St. George's are fairly similar. The most important part of transportation planning would revolve around the ferry schedule between St. George's and Dockyard because of the limited number of daily ferry runs.

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to do both the Caves/BAMZ in the same day. We arrive on the Breakaway on Wednesday 6/26, and wanted to do this on that day. We are not big eaters, so we don't really need to take time to go to lunch, but rather just pick up a quick bite at a snack bar at either the Caves or BAMZ. We need to hit the 4:00 ferry from Hamilton back to the dockyard. Is this a feasible itinerary? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ā 

8:30 AM: Debark boat, buy bus/ferry passes

9:00 AM: Arrive at line for St. George ferry

9:30 AM: Ferry to St. George departs

10:15 AM: Arrive in St. George

10:30 AM: Board bus (#1, #3, #10, #11) to Crystal Caves

10:50 AM: Arrive at Crystal Caves

12:20 PM: Depart Crystal Caves

12:35 PM: Board bus (#10 or #11) to Bermuda Aquarium & Zoo

12:55 PM: Arrive at Bermuda Aquarium Museum & Zoo

3:00 PM: Depart Bermuda Aquarium & Zoo

3:15 PM: Board bus (#10 or #11) to Hamilton Ferry