Problems w/o Chip & Pin CC?

BeachBum1007

I've recently read some threads about American travelers not being able to use their credit cards in Europe because we are lagging on the "chip and pin" technology. I've heard that even the new updates of "chip and signature" are not sufficient.

I am traveling to Italy, Greece, Spain, Turkey, France, and Ireland/NI this summer. Should I be concerned that I will not be able to use my good 'ol swipe strip MasterCard? I do not want to carry around too many euros/lira/pounds with me, but do not want to risk not being able to pay my bill either.

Did anybody have any major issues?

I've recently read some threads about American travelers not being able to use their credit cards in Europe because we are lagging on the "chip and pin" technology. I've heard that even the new updates of "chip and signature" are not sufficient.

I am traveling to Italy, Greece, Spain, Turkey, France, and Ireland/NI this summer. Should I be concerned that I will not be able to use my good 'ol swipe strip MasterCard? I do not want to carry around too many euros/lira/pounds with me, but do not want to risk not being able to pay my bill either.

Did anybody have any major issues?

The lack of a pin and chip credit card may be a problem at automated pay stations such as a parking lot or machines at a train station. However, your USA credit card will not be a problem any time there's a human being available to process the transaction such as restaurants, stores, or manned train ticket windows.

This topic has been beat to death on these boards. As ksps says, no problems unless using an automated machine/no human contact situation, and even in some of those, your card may work- like toll rolls and gas stations, while others- bus or train stations- it may not.

Spent 25 days in Europe last summer. Probably close to 50 attempted charges. US card only rejected twice. But we didn't try to use a card in small businesses, lunches etc, if spending less than 20 or so Euros.

I just want to point out that the advice above is generally correct, however, there are at least SOME places where humans are not able to process a card unless it has the chip-and-pin. At least as of 2 years ago. I was not able to purchase a train ticket in the Amsterdam Centraal station from a manned window using my non-chip-and-pin card 2 summers ago. The agent paused the transaction while I went to an ATM a few yards away and withdrew Euros from my bank account to pay him at his window. In general, however, I was able to use all my cards as desired at other locations. But you should have some backup plans in mind.

I've never had a problem however I always travel with 2 credit cards (not on the same bank). My ATM card is from the same bank as the card I prefer to use. However, I always travel with a second card just in case.

Make sure your bank knows where and when you are traveling so they don't shut off your access. I also make sure mine has my mobile number and sends me a text message if they suspect fraud as a text is free to receive and 50 cents to send one.

I had heard of the pin and chip cards a while ago and my bank charges to get one as they are not their standard at the moment.

Archived