$2400 pp on Independence - Expensive?

ludde

I recently booked an outside cabin with Independence in July for $2400 pp ($170/night) on a 14 night cruise (incl taxes/fees/gratuities), from Southampton.

This seems quite expensive. Two years ago, I paid only $100/night for an 11 night cruise with Mariner (also including taxes/fees/gratuities), also in July, but from Rome.

How come prices are so much higher now? Or is Independence generally a more expensive ship?

Maybe RCCL has reduced the number of cruises in Europe to bring prices up?

I noticed repositioning cruises are always very cheap, why is that?

I recently booked an outside cabin with Independence in July for $2400 pp ($170/night) on a 14 night cruise (incl taxes/fees/gratuities), from Southampton.

This seems quite expensive, two years ago, I paid only $100/night on an 11 night cruise with Mariner (also including taxes/fees/gratuities), also in July, but from Rome.

How come prices are so much higher now. Or is Independence generally a more expensive ship?

Seems high to me also.

Repositioning cruises are generally not in the summer (not high season), have fewer ports, and usually involve more expensive one-way flights. So, less demand and therefore lower price.

July/August is peak vacation season in the UK (and most of the rest of Europe). It is also the schools Summer vacation break. Indy is usually committed to 14 night Med' cruises during this period to satisfy the lucrative "two week" peak holiday demand during this period.

Repositioning cruises between Europe and the Caribbean usually occur Eastbound in April/May and Westbound in November/December. These are weak demand periods generally (as schools are not on vacation) and also often necessitate a one way airfare which often attracts a high premium.

For the price you are paying for a 2 weeks in Summer in an Outside, we paid exactly twice that for a two week repositioning cruise in the Royal suite! All a case of supply and demand.

Amounts of dollars are VERY SUBJECTIVE.

If you are worried about it being too expensive - then it IS, and you should not book it.

If it seems like a fair price, then it isn't too expensive and you should book it.

It really is that simple.;)

Hope This Helps.

The prices for your itinerary are running about the same as the Med. cruise I just booked on the Serenade for August 2014. We paid around $2700 for a D2 cabin on a 12 night cruise. I've seen price drops on other ships/European itineraries for this summer, but maybe Indy is a popular booking? It's also right in the middle of high season/running out of a UK port with an itinerary including popular tourist destinations for UK travelers during the summer.

It seems expensive in dollars, but perhaps it's not considered expensive in pounds or Euros. A weak dollar makes everything more expensive overseas. And, as others have said, it's the height of summer, so you are paying peak pricing.

We are booked for 11 nights on Serenade in October of 2014 for $2299pp in a JS. So it's often just a matter of timing. And location - we are sailing from Venice, which would be a plane or very long train ride for a UK passenger. I suspect that RCI can charge a premium in overseas markets when the embarkation point is an easy drive for the target market.

That's about $171 a night per person, which is on the high side. That price is usually what they charge for Australia and the more exotic itineraries.

Two years ago my yardstick for cruise cost was to try and get under $100 per night per person. It's now up to $125, and we currently have cruises booked for more than that, and I'm looking for a price drop if I'm going to keep them.

I agree you are paying top dollar because of the season. Summer prices are always higher, except the last minute deals.

Our cruise in is £2200pp for a balcony

Don't know what that converts to,but this side of the pond is always more expensive.

I know it's alot but I want it so I will pay it.

I can't really say it's expensive because I wouldn't book it.

But in comparison to USA prices it suppose it is.

But unless I fly out first I can't do much about it.:)

A will say p and o venturas same cruise is the same price but doesn't have the same facilities though.

The other lines are cheaper,but there ships are nowhere near Indy.

Our cruise in is £2200pp for a balcony

Don't know what that converts to,but this side of the pond is always more expensive.

I know it's alot but I want it so I will pay it.

I can't really say it's expensive because I wouldn't book it.

But in comparison to USA prices it suppose it is.

But unless I fly out first I can't do much about it.:)

A will say p and o venturas same cruise is the same price but doesn't have the same facilities though.

The other lines are cheaper,but there ships are nowhere near Indy.

£2,200 is approximately $3,300 so it compares well. Your £2,200 is similar to what we paid for an E2 a couple of years ago.

As has been mentioned before, July and August are the main school holidays in the UK and as such come with a MASSIVE premium (it's not unheard of for prices to at least double than "off peak"). That combined with the fact that European cruises are always much higher in price suggest that $2,000 is consistent with what I would expect. I didn't read it before, but is that cruise only, or does it include flights? I would imagine it's cruise only, but if not, it's actually a bargain!

When we compared cruises before we chose Indy, P&O were actually more expensive for the specific one we were looking at!

This seems quite expensive. Two years ago, I paid only $100/night for an 11 night cruise with Mariner (also including taxes/fees/gratuities), also in July, but from Rome.

How come prices are so much higher now? Or is Independence generally a more expensive ship?

It doesn't seem overly expensive to me! It's an expensive time of the year to travel in Europe!

We are on the Indy in July for the 14 night Italian med cruise staying in an ocean view room, we paid £1499pp including taxes/fees/gratuities and got $300 on board credit. I have never cruised before so not sure if this is good or not?

Had a quick look and £1499 is around $2300 hope this helps :)

That's about what I paid for my 14-nighter on Indy last year and we were in a Promenade Room. So the price sounds right to me.

My sister and I paid about the same amount each to go on Oasis on it's inaugural season. This was for a balcony room and we did book about 3 months before sailing (last minute decision to join a family vacation) so, in comparison to what I paid to go on Oasis, I thought Indy was a great deal :D

Archived