San Francisco

We are very excited for our cruise on the Wonder coming up on May20! During our first port day we are planning to do the Alcatraz tour. I had heard previously that the ship docks very near the pier that the tours departs from (dock at 35 and tour from 33). Now, that seems close but I wanted to get logistics...Can we easily and quickly walk the distance with a 6 and 10 year-old? Thanks in advance!

We are very excited for our cruise on the Wonder coming up on May20! During our first port day we are planning to do the Alcatraz tour. I had heard previously that the ship docks very near the pier that the tours departs from (dock at 35 and tour from 33). Now, that seems close but I wanted to get logistics...Can we easily and quickly walk the distance with a 6 and 10 year-old? Thanks in advance!

Yes. If you've confirmed that the Magic is at Pier 35 then Pier 33 is next door or about 100 yards away. (Odd numbers North of the Ferry Building, Even numbers South of the Ferry Building.)

You should definitely get your Alcatraz tour tickets ahead of time, they sell out. Once there, you'll have a choice of some short guided tours before you do the self-guided tour. I recommend the escapes tour. The Park Guides are all very good.

Bring jackets. The Bay can be cold when the afternoon winds kick up.

Just jumping in here with a suggestion...

We did the Disney/Pixar California coastal last year and one of the best excursions we did was the Walt Disney Family Museum in SF.

I am a huge Disney fan and did not know there was a Disney Family museum in SF. We did the excursion through the ship. We were at the museum about 2 hours and it was not enough time. I could have stayed at least 3 hours.

It's from Walt's birth to his death. Truly fascinating! You get to see the 7 little Oscar statues he won for Snow White and many of his personal items. It's very interactive and you go through the different eras at your own pace.

Small children would probably not enjoy it.

It has a nice gift shop.

His daughter Diane Disney was there that day, too.

When I go back to SF, I will go back on my own and spend more time.

My DH and I are one the same cruise. The Disney family museum is fantastic, but yes it might be a bit much for the kids. You should check out Pier 39 which is also a short walk from the ship. That's where the sea lions are and there is also the Aquarium by the Bay and many shops and things for the family to do.

Just jumping in here with a suggestion...

We did the Disney/Pixar California coastal last year and one of the best excursions we did was the Walt Disney Family Museum in SF.

I am a huge Disney fan and did not know there was a Disney Family museum in SF. We did the excursion through the ship. We were at the museum about 2 hours and it was not enough time. I could have stayed at least 3 hours.

It's from Walt's birth to his death. Truly fascinating! You get to see the 7 little Oscar statues he won for Snow White and many of his personal items. It's very interactive and you go through the different eras at your own pace.

Small children would probably not enjoy it.

It has a nice gift shop.

His daughter Diane Disney was there that day, too.

When I go back to SF, I will go back on my own and spend more time.

+1

I just came back from there on Sunday. Fantastic. I spent over five hours there and it wasn't enough but I was reading and examining everything. We had to leave when my back got sore. I need another trip.

The Snow White academy award was awesome to see there. I had seen the famous Walt/Shirley Temple photo so many times and to see it right there was goose-bumping.

2 hours will cause you to rush and you'll be disappointed and longing for more. However if this is your only chance to go and you're a big Walt Disney fan, give it a try. You'll find enough to thrill. It would be helpful to read Bob Thomas' Walt Disney, An American Original first. I already knew Walt's story and it was particularly awesome to see the artifacts in person.

The Walt to Roy telegram after he lost Oswald in NY is there: "Everything is fine, I'll fill you in when I get back."

I don't know about a seven year old. There's a little interactive stuff but it's an adult museum and done very well to the highest Disney standards.

Probably not mentioned but another of my favorites in the area is Musee Mechanique. It's at Pier 45, a short walk from pier 35.

It's a museum of working coin operated amusements some over 100 years old. Admission is free but bring a bunch of change to play the games and feed the Calliopes. If you're a mechanical or gadget guy, this is the place for you. Kids should love it too.

http://www.museemechanique.org/

Nearby is the USS Pompanito, a WWII sub and the Jeremiah O'Brien, a Liberty ship. Both are open for tours.

Probably not mentioned but another of my favorites in the area is Musee Mechanique. It's at Pier 45, a short walk from pier 35.

It's a museum of working coin operated amusements some over 100 years old. Admission is free but bring a bunch of change to play the games and feed the Calliopes. If you're a mechanical or gadget guy, this is the place for you. Kids should love it too.

Nearby is the USS Pompanito, a WWII sub and the Jeremiah O'Brien, a Liberty ship. Both are open for tours.

What a great idea! The 10 year-old loves maritime history. The amusements sounds fun for all. I think we will try something we can walk to at our own pace after the Alcatraz tour.

Getting really excited!

Sounds good. I know my DH wants to go tour the Jeremiah O'Brien. I think we would like Musee Mechanique as well.

Archived