Travel to and From Vancouver Airport

What's the best way to travel between the port area and the airport in Vancouver with 2 kids (4 and 8)? Our 8 year old uses a booster at home, but we're not planning on taking it. Do I need to bring a car seat just for the cab ride to and from the hotel we'll be staying at? Is there a better option that won't require a car seat?

Thanks

What's the best way to travel between the port area and the airport in Vancouver with 2 kids (4 and 8)? Our 8 year old uses a booster at home, but we're not planning on taking it. Do I need to bring a car seat just for the cab ride to and from the hotel we'll be staying at? Is there a better option that won't require a car seat?

Thanks

Where is your hotel? Is it close to a Skytrain station? You can take the Skytrain directly from the airport into downtown and many other sites.

http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/Corporate-Overview/Operating-Companies/SkyTrain.aspx

Skytrain would be great if it was just the adults. Our kids are good, but I'm not sure about walking from a station to the hotel with luggage and kids. Do the cabs need a car seat? In Tampa where we are coming from they do, but in NYC they have an exemption. Are there car services we can use that might have a car seat available? It's a large item that needs to cruise with us just so we can get to and from the airport!

Skytrain would be great if it was just the adults. Our kids are good, but I'm not sure about walking from a station to the hotel with luggage and kids. Do the cabs need a car seat? In Tampa where we are coming from they do, but in NYC they have an exemption. Are there car services we can use that might have a car seat available? It's a large item that needs to cruise with us just so we can get to and from the airport!

Taxi drivers are also exempt here in Van, according to local police.

We're a very walkable city though - as long as your kids are good with basic rules of road crossing I'm sure they'll be fine on foot.

There always seems to be a youngster with their face against the front window of the Skytrain when I get on, loving the ride (driverless trains = big front windows) - and stopping me getting that seat darn it!:D

Hi folks,

What is the easiest way from YVR to the cruise ship port? I'm having a hard time on the website telling if SkyTrain goes there. Obviously I will have 2-3 bags with me.

Thanks!

Doc;)

Edit: Is this information still correct? I'm on a Princess line ship, and it appears the embarkation port is at Canada Place.

Canada Line Skytrain Service This light rail service from the airport to downtown is now open. It takes around 20 minutes to get downtown. Get off at Waterfront Station for Canada Place or to take a taxi to Ballantyne Pier. Fares are the same as the Translink service however there is a $5 AddFare for tickets purchased from a ticket vending machine at the three stations closest to the airport. The state of the art system has certainly enhanceed airport transportation options and is a huge success.

Easiest? A limo or cab - they're lined up waiting, you get right in, and they'll take you exactly where you want to go whether or not that's near a Skytrain station.

Fastest? Depends on traffic - if busy, Skytrain beats a cab but if the roads are quiet a cab is faster as you'll need to walk a few minutes from the station to the pier.

Cheapest? Skytrain, by a hefty margin (cabs are metered, c. $35; limos have a flat rate currently $55 + Tax + Tip to Canada Place); Skytrain fares are $4 ($2.75 if it's a holiday, weekend or weekday evening) base, plus the $5 airport surcharge on the way into town. If you're considering using transit again in Vancouver, buying a book of 10 Faresaver Tickets avoids the need to pay the surcharge (these are available in the drugstores inside the airport terminal).

Cabs, limos, Skytrain all take credit cards - to answer your other Q about Skytrain, yes, Waterfront Station is the closest stop for Canada Place. It's easily walkable (there are multiple exits, some with elevator access in case you have large rolling bags that are hard to manage on stairs/escalators) - if you search the Canada and West Coast boards you'll find many, many threads giving extremely precise directions as to which exits are closest/downhill to port/easiest with wheelchairs etc etc.

In fact I think there are even photos of the airport station and Waterfront so you can see exactly where to go, if you check among the posts made by Scottbee.

Getting off Skytrain it's a three block walk to Canada Place. There are three choices of how to get to Canada Place getting off the Canada Line from the airport.

1. preferred, take the exit marked "WAY OUT - Granville Street" (there are elevators,escalator or stairs),and it puts you on Granville St @ W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block up Hastings, turn right and two blocks on Howe. Slightly downhill.
  2. less preferred, follow the tunnel into waterfront station. Exiting the station, turn right, two blocks on Cordova, turn right one block on Howe. Slightly uphill
  3. the 'it's pissing with rain method" (and you need to go up a short staircase). Follow the tunnel into Waterfront station, but instead of exiting the station to your right, turn left and follow the signs to "Skytrain - Expo/Millennium Line", escalator down to platform level, walk the full length of the platform, and pop back up on the far side. Up a short staircase, turn right, up an escalator and you're 1/2 block from Canada Place.

Also, if there are more than a couple of you, or you plan to use transit in Vancouver touring, or or or, you can save some money by buying for a $31.50 book of 10 two-zone [faresaver] tickets at the 7-11 or pharmasave in the airport. Otherwise you're looking at $9/ea for a Skytrain ride from airport to downtown ($4 + a $5 airport surcharge). No surcharge exists on the faresaver packs.

If you have any other questions, let me know as I ride Skytrain to work every day...

Thanks for the pointer, martincath, this is perfect.

Yes, or you need Ca funds.

Thanks, I was hoping not to have to change any money. Will use the card for the train and lunch.

This thread was very helpful to me. Thanks!

However, my flight arrives at 1 am. I imagine the drug stores at the airport will be closed so I won't be able to purchase fare saver books.

If by chance I'm able to get one, do we need one book per person or can we use the same book for 2 people?

This thread was very helpful to me. Thanks!

However, my flight arrives at 1 am. I imagine the drug stores at the airport will be closed so I won't be able to purchase fare saver books.

If by chance I'm able to get one, do we need one book per person or can we use the same book for 2 people?

This may be a moot point but the last Canada Line train leaves YVR station at 12:56 AM. However if you still want to purchase a FareSaver book of tickets the 7-11 is open 24/7 but not so Pharmasave....the tickets may be used by more than one person.

With regard to some of the previous responses, the ticket vending machines at YVR station accept Visa, MC and I believe now AMEX but not Discovery...they will also accept many ATM cards.

Thanks for the pointer, martincath, this is perfect.

Doc - is this correct? "preferred, take the exit marked "WAY OUT - Granville Street" (there are elevators,escalator or stairs),and it puts you on Granville St @ W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block up Hastings, turn right and two blocks on Howe. "

It seems to me that we would turn RIGHT, not Left on Granville. I am confused.

DaveOKC

Doc - is this correct? "preferred, take the exit marked "WAY OUT - Granville Street" (there are elevators,escalator or stairs),and it puts you on Granville St @ W.Hastings. Turn left, walk one block up Hastings, turn right and two blocks on Howe. "

DaveOKC

Here is a map I've done up...

click here

Yes, take the exit that is marked "way out - Granville Street". There are two sets of escalators, stairs, or elevators to get you to street level. When you get to street level, you'll be facing Pender Street (south). Do a 180 and you'll then be facing W Hastings (north).

My apologies, I misspoke (mistyped)... I went on the Translink website and it quoted me a price of $2.75pp for a nightbus from the airport to near my hotel. Is this accurate? Will I need to purchase a ticket in advance or can I pay when I find the bus?

Thanks again!

All travel regardless of zones is the same price in the evenings and weekends so the price of $2.75 is correct - if you happen to be senior 65 + it is only $1.75.

You can pay on the bus but it only takes Canadian coins.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

DaveOKC

yes it's correct "Turn left [onto W.Hastings from the corner of Granville/W.Hastings]" if that makes more sense. Once you're at the station exit, it's pretty obvious where Canada Place is, as in some cases you can even see the ships from the station exit.

DaveOKC

yes it's correct "Turn left [onto W.Hastings from the corner of Granville/W.Hastings]" if that makes more sense. Once you're at the station exit, it's pretty obvious where Canada Place is, as in some cases you can even see the ships from the station exit.

Here is a map I've done up...

click here

Yes, take the exit that is marked "way out - Granville Street". There are two sets of escalators, stairs, or elevators to get you to street level. When you get to street level, you'll be facing Pender Street (south). Do a 180 and you'll then be facing W Hastings (north).

Great map. Here it is:

imageaown.jpg

Thanks, folks. I figure once I get to Waterfront Station, it should be fairly easy to figure out, if just by looking around. If worse comes to worst, I'll bet some Vancouverite can probably point me in the right direction.:D

Do the cabs take 6 people? We will be 4 adults and two toddlers.

Most taxis in Metro Vancouver are Toyota Prius, so the quick answer is no. However about 1 in 6 of the taxi fleet are minivans, in which case the answer would be yes. You'd have to ask specifically for a minivan, but at places where there's a taxi rank, it's not tough to find one.

Most taxis in Metro Vancouver are Toyota Prius, so the quick answer is no. However about 1 in 6 of the taxi fleet are minivans, in which case the answer would be yes. You'd have to ask specifically for a minivan, but at places where there's a taxi rank, it's not tough to find one.

Be aware that most of these are outfitted with wheelramps so I'm not sure if they have the third bench and or can seat 6 pax with lots of baggage.

Be aware that most of these are outfitted with wheelramps so I'm not sure if they have the third bench and or can seat 6 pax with lots of baggage.

We were just in one last night - it's two benches (3 theoretical adults each) plus front passenger seat, and the wheelramp actually adds extra storage as the floor of the cargo area is lower and the ramp itself fits flush against the rear door without taking up much space at all. If the cases are sturdy, you could stack a huge pile in the back.

Archived