Take the DSLR or leave it home??

I have a Nikon D70, and a Coolpix 5400. I was certain I was going to add a wide angle lens and take the D70 next year to Europe. However, since this is a family trip and not a just a photo trip, I'm having second thoughts. Too much stuff to carry! I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Coolpix 8400 (24mm at the wide end) for the trip, and relying on it. I know, sounds a bit crazy 'cause the D70 does a real nice job. Anyone have similar thoughts?

Will you be in hotels or on a ship? If so, bring both. That's what I do. You can always leave the DSLR back at the hotel room or on the ship for those family days when you just want some memories, which the Coolpix will handle fine. And if the opportunity presents itself, whip out the DSLR and take a couple of nice pics when the family is back at the room, nightshots of the cities, or shots from the boats or car while travelling where it won't interfere with the family's vacation.

I often bring 3 cameras...my Sony 717 (bigger prosumer digital), my Canon EOS-IX (film SLR), and my Sony L1 (itsy-bitsy micro digital that slips ina pocket). I play with the SLR on the ship, taking bulb exposures of night lighting or great shots around the port...the 717 goes when I'm taking a cool excursion in which I want some artistic shots of castles, valleys, waterfalls, etc. And sometimes, when family or friends are all just having a walk or touring around, I'll bring only the L1 so I can get the fun shots of us standing in front of things, or group shots...plus the occasional great scenery which the little camera can still handle well enough. This lets me choose big bag o' lenses, medium bag of 717 + accesory lenses, or no bag and little pocket device, depending on the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you really want to subject yourself to being in a position to say "Gee, if only I'd brought the big camera.." I suppose for some folks that live there or visit Alaska 3 or 4 times a year knowing you'll be able to get a shot sometime in the future is okay. For those of us who are mere mortals and may not have the chance again soon, bring the gear. Of course I got bored packing around my entire photographic arsenal including a tripod with a very heavy ball head and yes, there were a couple of lenses and accessories that never left the backpack. But I also was able to get some wonderful photos that wouldn't have been possible with the wife's Canon Powershot even though it's a fine little camera.

Our trip was also classified as a "family trip" though since it was our 30th anniversary the kids stayed home. But the DW knows after all these years that photography is a very important part of our lives too and she would have been shocked had I opted to leave the stuff at home. Besides, I was able to use the DSLR with a 28-105 lens as a great "walkaround" camera and her vision and photos are always different than mine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Canon Digital Rebel and I just purchased a Sony Cybershot for something small to carry on ship and that I would feel safe letting someone else hold to take our picture. I still intend to take the Rebel simply because I want to have plenty of options when I take my photos and I know that the Cybershot doesn't have the zoom capability I would want for some shots. That being said I am trying to get my camera bag (a Lowepro backpack style) and another item into a 22' carryon so I can have less luggage hanging off my body ;)

• 1 month later...

I too have a Digital Rebel and carried it all over Italy on a 2 week trip last summer. We were with a tour group and changed hotels every 2 nights so we moved around a lot and spent a lot of time on a tour bus. I was so glad I took it with me! I have some amazing shots I just wouldn't have been able to take with a smaller camera. I have always provided good cameras for my children (now 14 and 18) also. They both have smaller digital cameras and love them. I combined all of the digital pictures when we got home and chose the best from the group of 3 cameras. My Rebel had the most sharp and deepest color of the group. We are going on Pride of America in December and I am excited to try my new wide angle lens.

Take the DSLR!!!!

• 1 month later...

Take it... simple answer.

I have the Canon XT and we have used it a great deal on the two cruises since we bought it. It is more sensititive to humidity when you walk from the atrium to a deck level outside, but a little time in the heat and the lens cleared.

We took a laptop pc on the Rhapsody this summer and burned a cruise DVD for our tablemates just before dinner the last night. Very cool and fun for all of us.

Enjoy,

Lee

A simple cure for the fogging problem: If you have a verandah room, when you wake up, stick your camera out on the verandah in its bag or wrapped in a towel. By the time you shower, change, eat, etc the camera will have equalized to outside temperatures. A brief walk through the ship's interior will not cool it sufficiently to refog it, so when you hit the outdoor decks or a port, the camera lens will be warmed up enough to not fog.

If you don't have a veranda, wrapping the camera in a towel, and putting it either in the bottom of the closet or in the bathroom, as far from the room vents as possible, may reduce how cool the glass gets overnight and help alleviate the fogging issue.

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on taking my Rebel XT on the Conquest in November. To those of you that use a DSLR, do you take your whole camera case with an extra zoom lens on excursions or do you just use one lens for the entire trip and leave the camera bag back on ship.

I usually only take one lens on an excursion....but if it was just a driving tour or walking, I would probably take the whole camera bag with the extra lens. I'd like to get a waterproof case for my DSLR, BUT am very scared about the possibility of it leaking and ruining my good camera.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a cool pix 5000 and a D100 (Nikons) but always take the D100 and the wide angle and 50 mm lenses with me on cruises.

The nikon cool pix point and shoots just dont do what the SLR's do in my opinion and its worth the extra weight and effort to take on a cruise.

In the dining room or when its dark my cool pix just did get the room light enough even with my optional speed light where the D100 does a great job with the SB800 flash.

On this past Millennium transatlantic I had some 8 x 11's printed out at the cruise photo shop and the comments from the staff there were,, my pics were outstanding and so was the camera. They use Fugi cameras. I did have some great professional like pics printed.

Nikon Man

I'm taking my Canon 5D DSLR and my Canon 750 IXUS, plus the lens.

On any part of the cruise I'm not sure that I feel safe with my backpack (Canon 5D and lens) I'll take the smaller Canon 750 IXUS ashore instead.

Andrew:cool:

I take my D70 with me on all my trips; I even took it through the rainforest of Dominica when it was pouring. I also bring along a Canon S45 with an underwater housing (Canon makes them for most of ther point and shoots) which I take to the beaches with me. Don't have to worry about it being stolen since I just take it in the water with me.

Unfortunately on my last cruise (Constellation to Southern Caribbean in 12/04), my D70 shutter developed a problem on the last few days and I ended up sending it in for repair under warranty.

• 1 month later...

I just returned from a trip on the Inspiration. I took my Nikon D50. I would never leave home without it! It was wonderful to get some amazing shots. I have the attachment lense that takes me to 300 and when not in use or the few times we left the cabin without it I just took both the camera and the two lenses out of the camera bag and put them in our in room safe.

I d hate to leave my Nikon wide angle lense out and have it stolen,, $2000 down the drain,, wonder if my homeowners ins would cover a theft in international waters??

I dont take chances with the camera body or the 3 nikkor lenses i have foir my D100...

In the safe unless its around my neck.. Too much to lose if someone gets sticky fingers.

Nikon Don

• 2 weeks later...
I d hate to leave my Nikon wide angle lense out and have it stolen,, $2000 down the drain,, wonder if my homeowners ins would cover a theft in international waters??

I dont take chances with the camera body or the 3 nikkor lenses i have foir my D100...

In the safe unless its around my neck.. Too much to lose if someone gets sticky fingers.

Nikon Don

Hard for the crook to get off ship before port.. if you notice it gone report it right away.. even in port same folks get back on the ship.. and chances are it would be a employee who has access to the room :)

I had a lots of equipment in 04.. no worries.

I take enough to take with me at every port.. cuz I dont want to miss shots saying.. heck I brought it with me but left it in the room? That would be silly

You should have all stuff like that on a Personal Articles policy. It's SO cheap. For example, I have a treo 650. I was in Cabo in November and to make a long story short the dive boat's dry well...not so dry. So my gear got soaked along with my phone. I called my insurance company and 2 weeks later got a check for the full amount of a new phone.

Now, that insurance ran me about $1 per month additional for a $650 item. Cheaper than "phone insurance" from the carrier and they charge you a deductible. Personal articles policies cover ANY loss ANY how with no deductible. Definately a must for things like Cameras and such.

Do you really want to subject yourself to being in a position to say "Gee, if only I'd brought the big camera.." I suppose for some folks that live there or visit Alaska 3 or 4 times a year knowing you'll be able to get a shot sometime in the future is okay. For those of us who are mere mortals and may not have the chance again soon, bring the gear. Of course I got bored packing around my entire photographic arsenal including a tripod with a very heavy ball head and yes, there were a couple of lenses and accessories that never left the backpack. But I also was able to get some wonderful photos that wouldn't have been possible with the wife's Canon Powershot even though it's a fine little camera.

I'm with you. We have an Olympus 5mp for most shots. It is small and easy to carry around but occasionally I see something that I know will come out fantastic and break out my old Canon T-70 SLR. I might only use it for a roll or two, but the end result makes it well worth while.;)

Archived