Lighthouses

thelmalouise-n-thekid

I see there are quite a few lighthouses along the route to Alaska, will very many of these be visible from the ship?

It depends on the cruise you take . If to or from Vancouver there will be a lot more lighthouses to see. From Seattle you are to far out to sea lighthouses until you actually arrive in Alaska.

Here's a lighthouse on the way out of Vancouver

104nsw9.jpg

That is the Point Atkinson lighthouse in West Vancouver about 20 mins after you pass under the Lions Gate bridge. Behind the island to the left of the picture is where I live.

Where did you find the lighthouses? What book or map?

There is a nice map here with the lighthouses shown and a link to information about each.

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/maps.html

Putterdude thanks for the picture that is one I thought we should be able to see. That looks like a beautiful place to live.

Mimisandy45- I think I read something about visiting a lighthouse in Juneau on an excursion but I'm not positive. You could check excursions for your ship to see.

There are three lighthouses in the Juneau that I would say there is a possibility of seeing. Two of which I would say there is a high likelihood of seeing from the cruise ship (though I can not confirm as I fish/live in the Juneau area in the summer and have not cruised SE Alaska).

The two that I would expect you to see from the cruise ship would be between the Juneau and Skagway portion of the trip. The first would be Sentinel Island which I would say is a "probably". The second is Eldred Rock lighthouse which I would say is "extremely likely".

There is a lighthouse called Point Retreat, which would be closest to Juneau. I am pretty sure I've never seen a cruise ship go by here (they go on the opposite side of Shelter Island). However, I've seen whale watching tours in the vicinity on occasion.

Hope this helps

Archived