Royal Caribbean vs. Norwegian

Wippi6

Hello,

I am looking to book a cruise over the Xmas NYE time this year. It will be my parents (80 yo, me and my hubby, 40 yo and my 4 kids, 15, 13, 5 and 3. My parents do NOT want Carnival (we have sailed Carnival beforfe and loved it but they feel it's the bottom of the barrell and to crazy) We did RCCL last Xmas and parents loved it. They want to leave out of Florida so it's warmer rather than NYC (which we did last year) and do not want too big of a ship. I have been researching and I thin Celebrity is less of a family atmosphere, if I am wrong please tell me. I found Princess to be more for the older crowds and not as catered to a family and the same with Holland America. Again If I am wrong please let me know and tell me why. I would like to know which cruise you liked better for your family and why. And if you have another line to add in, please do so.

Thank you to all for your help.

You will see a lot of families on for a Holiday Cruise.

You will see more kids on Royal Caribbean but you will still see quite a few families on Celebrity and Princess. Celebrity will be an upgrade over RCI. RCI owns Celebrity but it is run as a separate cruise line.

Keith

I'm assuming you did Explorer (Chrsitmas out of NY) last year.

If it where me, I'd look at Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral, or Liberty/Independence out of FLL. These ships are only slightly larger than Explorer, but newer and with a few more amenities. You will have a similar experience to the one that you loved on Explorer.

Also look at Adventure out of San Juan. Adventure is a sister ship to Explorer, so almost everything will be the same. Airfare to San Juan might be more expensive, but usually the cruise fare is a bit less, so it balances out. Plus, southern Caribbean itineraries out of San Juan are much nicer, especially during the winter because you start out in warm climate right away.

NCL's newer ships have plenty of kid stuff and are good cruise alues for fmailies. Their older ships, not so much. I loved the NCL Pearl and but I disliked a good bit about the Sun and Sky which were older.

Of course the Pearl is older now, (7 years) but she is designed better than the NCL ships older than her.

In a generational cruise RC would probably work best. my choice would be Oasis pr Allure. Lots to do onboard and the shows are better than other ships. There are also more dining choices than other ships and the kids programs are fantastic.

In a generational cruise RC would probably work best. my choice would be Oasis pr Allure. Lots to do onboard and the shows are better than other ships. There are also more dining choices than other ships and the kids programs are fantastic.

But the grandparents don't want "too big of a ship". Being the largest cruise ships in the world with over 6,000 passengers on board, plus another 2,400 crew members, the two you recommend fail that requirement several times over.

They are all good choices. I agree that Celebrity/Princess/HA are less of a family (kids) atmosphere. Maybe a little better around holiday-time though.

NCL is a good option too IMO, esp. their newer ships.

If you post this question on each specific cruiseline's board, you will get lots of pro-answers for each brand.

I've found it best to form my own opinion about each cruiseline and I've not had a bad cruise yet!

I'm not sure where they are sailing from during that time frame, but I would recommend the Norwegian Gem, Jewel, or Pearl. They're big ships with a lot for the kids to do, but they're not the mega ships like the Oasis or the Allure. I also like all the dining options on NCL which many be appealing to you since you will have a lot of people to please.

Archived