Finally will go to Mahahual need suggestions

CENTEX CRUISER

Jiame at Nohoch Kay will take excellent care of you. It's a good place to go if you want to be on the malecon and still do an A.I. DW and SIL are there today!:)

If you want an A.I. a bit further away, I recommend looking at Maya Chan. These guys do an extremely nice job and the beach is a bit more pristine than along the malecon.

If you don't want to do an A.I., thne I suggest you contact Steve at Tropicante, (http://www.sandalsandskis.com) and reserved a couple of loungers (or as many as you need). Tropicante is on the malecon and has good food and reasonably priced drinks. You just have to put up with the vendors roaming the beach and the lounger hawkers trying to lure you to their patch of sand before you get there.

Oh, meant to add that Pez Quadro, in the middle of the malecon, will do either A.I. or ala carte. Sometimes they run early bird specials on their A.I. that might be enticing cost wise. But I'd suggest eating elswhere...you didn't come to the Mexican Riveria to eat mediocre tex-mex.

In the main, any spot along the malecon is similar to any other spot...jus tone long "boardwalk" and beach not separated by any fence or vegetation. If you're roaming up and down the malecon from Tropicante, and this you can do, be sure to head up to the lighthouse and stop at Sak Ha a little taqueria/stand family ran and owned, for some nice local twist on freah seafood. If you're there early in the morning Castillo Blanco Hotel's restaurant serves a great chilaquiles, those breakfast nachos. And could probably do some migas too.

I would go the the Tropicante. Steve will treat you right. I was there in January and it was the best day of my cruise. My daughter is there today for the first time and it was her favorite stop. Great food and tasty drinks at great prices. $25 massages on the beach. Shoot him an email and he'll reserve you some chairs for free.

I would go the the Tropicante. Steve will treat you right. I was there in January and it was the best day of my cruise. My daughter is there today for the first time and it was her favorite stop. Great food and tasty drinks at great prices. $25 massages on the beach. Shoot him an email and he'll reserve you some chairs for free.

I second Tropicante. I was there two weeks ago and wish we had a longer stay (we had to be back on the ship at 2:00). If you do go there is a women named Nancy that has used books for sale or trade at Tropicante, or if you want to just leave one for her also.

This cruise is a way off, but our ship will be there from 7 AM till 6 PM , which is a good amount of time ..Thanks for the tip..

I second Tropicante. I was there two weeks ago and wish we had a longer stay (we had to be back on the ship at 2:00). If you do go there is a women named Nancy that has used books for sale or trade at Tropicante, or if you want to just leave one for her also.

Hi CC! We often like the same sort of thing ....

Here's what we do: Take the short taxi ride to Mahahual and then keep walking until we find a beach bar that suits us. The beach chairs, unbrellas, etc. are at n/c when drinks are ordered.

We always have a wonderful time in Mahahual! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Hi. Have you tried the Tropicante ?

Hi CC! We often like the same sort of thing ....

Here's what we do: Take the short taxi ride to Mahahual and then keep walking until we find a beach bar that suits us. The beach chairs, unbrellas, etc. are at n/c when drinks are ordered.

We always have a wonderful time in Mahahual! :D

LuLu

~~~~

• 3 weeks later...

We choose Western Caribbean itineraries specifically so that we can go to Maya Chan. There is a reason why just about every rating service (e.g., TripAdvisor) consistently ranks Maya Chan #1.

I suppose you always can find someplace that is a little cheaper or a little something else -- but there usually is a reason for that. For example, if there are unlimited drinks, are they usingtop shelf labels or a cheaper version? We prefer not to spend the rest of the evening or the next day in our cabin, sick to our stomachs.

Again, we've only gone to Maya Chan. We consider it not only the frosting on the cake, but the whipped cream and cherries, too! For a little more, we prefer to go with the best all-inclusive beach day available.

Sandy

We have returned from Nohoch Kay at Mahahual and have to say it just wasn't our thing. I really wish we would have spent the extra $10 or so and went back to Maya Chan or Almaplena. Nohoch was just a small area on a long beach with vendors hassling you, water you pretty much couldn't swim in because you could walk REALLY REALLY far out and still only have your feet covered in water and we really didn't care for the food. The service was good and asking you non-stop what you wanted (just getting off the ship at 7am in the morning and drinking isn't worth it to begin with) and the owner only spoke to us once when he told us to put the conch shell back in the water (I was planning on it but just wanted to show my daughter it). :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mitsugirly, were there actually vendors on the beach at Nohoch Kay? Because that would be highly unusual for them. The one and only time a vendor tried to come onto their beach while I was there, they were immediately kicked out. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea in any case - it's one of my all-time favorite spots!

Hey Mitsugirly, were there actually vendors on the beach at Nohoch Kay? Because that would be highly unusual for them. The one and only time a vendor tried to come onto their beach while I was there, they were immediately kicked out. Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea in any case - it's one of my all-time favorite spots!

Yes, there were vendors walking up and down the beach and at Nohoch Kay. Several of them came by about fives times during the day. They were never once kicked out or had anything said to them. One of the vendors made the mistake of handing my daughter and grandson a huge bubble blower. They thought this nice lady just gave them a present. They pulled it out and started blowing the bubbles. She wasn't too happy when they couldn't give her money and they were extremely upset when she took them back. Her strategy didn't work and now she had less bubbles in both of the containers than when she started I can guarantee that. ;)

Yes, there were vendors walking up and down the beach and at Nohoch Kay. Several of them came by about fives times during the day. They were never once kicked out or had anything said to them. One of the vendors made the mistake of handing my daughter and grandson a huge bubble blower. They thought this nice lady just gave them a present. They pulled it out and started blowing the bubbles. She wasn't too happy when they couldn't give her money and they were extremely upset when she took them back. Her strategy didn't work and now she had less bubbles in both of the containers than when she started I can guarantee that. ;)

I'm genuinely shocked that happened, and it would definitely have impacted my good time as well. As I mentioned, the one vendor who tried was run off the beach when I was there, and between my family and myself we've made three visits to Nohoch. I'll be curious if their policy has changed when I go back next March.

I can tell you that one of the vendors that kept returning actually returned and came up to us while the server was taking our order and even the server didn't say anything to them.

I did remember that others had said that they didn't allow vendors there and they would be told to leave, so I snapped this picture as he walked away and around the sailboat that was directly in front of us so that I could show people.

P5160090-M.jpg

Tropicante for sure!!!! We were there for a stop off of Disney Fantasy this past Halloween. Steve and staff are top notch hosts! My daughter had a great time in the water finding sea shells. The Food, The Margaritas and Taquilla were marvelous!

Archived