Skagway and Ketchikan question

disgruntled

We are on the 7/2 sailing of the Diamond. I was wondering if the ports will be up and running so to speak when we get there since it will be so early in the morning. Has anyone gotten off the ship at 5 or 6am and found shops to be open? Thanks for your response.

Al

we've been to both of these ports twice. I do remember arriving pretty early in the morning, but I don't remember it being quite that early. It is very easy to walk into town from the ship, both towns are easily done on your own, however I don't think you'll find anything open until 8 or 9. Have a great time, the Diamond is a beautiful ship.

We are on the 7/2 sailing of the Diamond. I was wondering if the ports will be up and running so to speak when we get there since it will be so early in the morning. Has anyone gotten off the ship at 5 or 6am and found shops to be open? Thanks for your response.

Al

Last week we docked at 6 a.m. in Ketchikan. The only stores we found open before 8 a.m. were the "caribbean" jewelry stores, not any of the local shops. The sign on the door of the Tongass Trading Co. store right in the dock area indicated they opened at 8 a.m.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!

Guest Snorkelbunny
I was on the Diamond a couple of weeks ago and in Ketchikan many of the shops were open by 7:00 am and several were open at 6:30 am. Mike

That's encouraging to hear! I will be on the Sapphire and the itinerary states we arrive in Ketchikan at 6:30 am. I am hoping to see a bit of the town before my shore excursion at 9:30am as I have booked a spa appointment at the port day prices for later that afternnon. Thanks for the info! :D

We were on the Star Princess in 2003. It got to Ketchikan at 6 a.m. We walked over to Creek Street and up the stairs to get a better view of the town with the ships in the port. By the time we walked back to the ship, a few shops had opened up.

We had to meet for our snorkeling excursion at 8 a.m. and did not have time to shop then. We only had a little time after the excursion, but we're not really big shoppers and did not feel like we missed anything.

Archived