Great items to take on your cruise

gumboroux

Tom, I, too, have used this same device - until I read an article noting that surge protectors are not to be used on ships due to the danger of fire. There is a good reference to this here:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This report made me look around for a better device, and I found this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It lacks the USB ports, but has 4 usable AC outlets with room for up to 4 'wall-warts' and NO surge protection.

At least MY stateroom may not go up in flames :)

I like the Monster better than the Belkin as well. If you have a transformer to plug in it won't block the other receptacles.

Mike:)

On our last cruise, I tossed a pillowcase into the suitcase. I used it to hold our dirty clothes. Hung it on one of the hangers with clips and shoved it to the back of the closet. When it is time to do laundry or pack to go, the dirty clothes are ready.

Very handy.

We just ask our steward for an extra pillowcase which we wash when we do laundry and use it again.

On our last cruise, I tossed a pillowcase into the suitcase. I used it to hold our dirty clothes. Hung it on one of the hangers with clips and shoved it to the back of the closet. When it is time to do laundry or pack to go, the dirty clothes are ready.

Very handy.

True, but we just use the ship's laundry bags for that and don't send them out.

Alarm clock. There is none in your stateroom.

I have been amused by reading some of the creative things that people think of to bring and make "cabin life" easier or more comfortable for them. And I mean that in the best way.

Others wonder how all the "stuff" fits, or the size of suitcases. (We take a cruise with carry-ons only now that dinner time has a little more relaxed - even managed with carry-on for a 10-day).

Anyway, so many people mention an alarm clock. Well, so many people have cell phones, right? So, as long as it's in Airplane Mode, you have all the functionality of a clock, multiple alarms that can work by music or vibration, plus built in nightlight often with the newer smart phones, or even using the light from the screen. Plus, they work with ship's WiFi (if you are into that). So you could save some space for some other gadget or two!!

Edited by steelers36

Tom, I, too, have used this same device - until I read an article noting that surge protectors are not to be used on ships due to the danger of fire. There is a good reference to this here:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This report made me look around for a better device, and I found this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F9YN2M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

It lacks the USB ports, but has 4 usable AC outlets with room for up to 4 'wall-warts' and NO surge protection.

At least MY stateroom may not go up in flames :)

Any three-pronged device plugged directly into the wall becomes a fire risk if you actually read that article and parse out what they're saying. However, the article is targeted at industrial and commercial ships, NOT cruise ships. It's relevant to ships wired in Delta format. Cruise ships have such high power needs that it'd be ridiculous to wire them in Delta. They're Wye (at least in the context of how this article names it...any electrician would balk at that naming convention), for which your everyday surge suppressor or basic power strip is fine.

Even better, the Monster gadget you chose instead is absolutely no better at preventing these types of fires than the surge suppressor or basic power strip that you left at home.

I take two normal surge suppressors every time, as we've got several camera battery chargers and a couple iPad chargers on one side of the room, and a laptop with three external drives on the other side of the room. They travel in a rolling carry-on when we board the ship, so if they want to discuss the fire risk with me, we can do it on the spot.

small flash light ( extra batteries)

extra batteries for headphones, etc.

a few of those white plastic trash bags-- very handy for wet bathing suits, etc-

a few gallon and quart size zipper baggies--

A couple of those collapsable plate covers-- if I want to grab food at buffet to bring back to cabin.

I've found the little Belkin extention very handy..

little lighted alarm clock

a few collapsable storage cubes-99 cent store or walmart--great for papers, catch all stuff.

Over door see through plastic pockets thing for little toiletries, medications,etc.

magnets for walls, yellow hi lighter, sticky posts--

small scissor, duct tape

lanyard with plastic pouch for cruise card (I lose everything)

small colapsable umbrella, light poncho

I have been amused by reading some of the creative things that people think of to bring and make "cabin life" easier or more comfortable for them. And I mean that in the best way.

Others wonder how all the "stuff" fits, or the size of suitcases. (We take a cruise with carry-ons only now that dinner time has a little more relaxed - even managed with carry-on for a 10-day).

Anyway, so many people mention an alarm clock. Well, so many people have cell phones, right? So, as long as it's in Airplane Mode, you have all the functionality of a clock, multiple alarms that can work by music or vibration, plus built in nightlight often with the newer smart phones, or even using the light from the screen. Plus, they work with ship's WiFi (if you are into that). So you could save some space for some other gadget or two!!

THANK YOU! This will solve a problem for me when I cruise, by multi-tasking the phone as a regular mobile, alarm clock, and small torch. I did read about taking a battery operated candle-am looking for one, know I bought a packet but WHERE did I put the packet?

A busy sort out in the unit to happen, and as I find anything needed for the cruise, it will be put into the hard-sided carry on suitcase-especially sample-sized toiletries and lipstick samples! I can have a different lipstick for each day and evening in pretty much the same space used by a regular-sized lipstick. A couple of sample vials of perfume will also be added to the spongebag.

Crochetcruise :cool:

You are probably right. We actually take very few clothes and hardly ever buy anything. We managed to take a two week cruise with a week in London with two smallish suitcases, but there are a number of things that keep us from spending dollars and make our trip more comfortable. To each their own, but really I don't understand your sarcasm.

On my last cruise I saw some people using magnetic clips. Did you know the walls inside you cabin are metal? Those big magnetic clips can hold all kinds of stuff. I'm taking them on my next cruise for sure.

I always buy magnets in ports as a souvenir so now I will use them in the future before I ever arrive home.;)

Any three-pronged device plugged directly into the wall becomes a fire risk if you actually read that article and parse out what they're saying. However, the article is targeted at industrial and commercial ships, NOT cruise ships. It's relevant to ships wired in Delta format. Cruise ships have such high power needs that it'd be ridiculous to wire them in Delta. They're Wye (at least in the context of how this article names it...any electrician would balk at that naming convention), for which your everyday surge suppressor or basic power strip is fine.

Even better, the Monster gadget you chose instead is absolutely no better at preventing these types of fires than the surge suppressor or basic power strip that you left at home.

I take two normal surge suppressors every time, as we've got several camera battery chargers and a couple iPad chargers on one side of the room, and a laptop with three external drives on the other side of the room. They travel in a rolling carry-on when we board the ship, so if they want to discuss the fire risk with me, we can do it on the spot.

OK, I'll defer to your better knowledge. I have, however, heard several times here on CC where surge protecting power strips were confiscated by the cruise ships as being unsafe for use on the ships. If I had some confirmation from the cruise ship's engineering department that the Belkin surge protector unit is safe I'd feel better about using one.

The Monster gadget is only better than some 'standard' power strips because of the additional room to allow for multiple large plugs (warts) to used at the same time.

OK, I'll defer to your better knowledge. I have, however, heard several times here on CC where surge protecting power strips were confiscated by the cruise ships as being unsafe for use on the ships. If I had some confirmation from the cruise ship's engineering department that the Belkin surge protector unit is safe I'd feel better about using one.

The Monster gadget is only better than some 'standard' power strips because of the additional room to allow for multiple large plugs (warts) to used at the same time.

I am not a very experienced cruiser. Out of 6 cruises, I never had power strips confiscated. I left them right on top layer of my baggage or side pockets, in case they need to confiscate it and don't want to dig through my stuff.

Weird thing is, RCCL bans extension cords, but my power strips were never touched on both RCCL cruises.

As far as dirty laundry, I bought a mesh pop up hamper, that folds completely flat and we pop it up and put it in the corner of the closet. When collapsed, it will fit nicely on top of everything in the suitcase. If we do laundry it is easy to carry to the laundry room. Looks just like this one, but you can get them at Wal-Mart or Target.

http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Essentials-Mesh-Pop-Hampers/dp/B006ZZZLP8

True, but we just use the ship's laundry bags for that and don't send them out.

Thank you Tom, I just bought one on Ebay.

I've had my Belkin for some time now and it stays plugged in 24/7 charging all my portable electronic toys at home as well as when we travel. No fires yet nor do I expect any :). It doesn't even get warm.

Of course I've never plugged an 1,800 watt hair dryer or coffee maker into it ;) but if the Belkin is used to just charge portable electronics I wouldn't worry about the mentioned 'fire hazard'.

As far as dirty laundry, I bought a mesh pop up hamper, that folds completely flat and we pop it up and put it in the corner of the closet. When collapsed, it will fit nicely on top of everything in the suitcase. If we do laundry it is easy to carry to the laundry room. Looks just like this one, but you can get them at Wal-Mart or Target.

If you have a Dollar Tree in your area they're a real bargain at $1; I've seen them as high as $5 in other discount stores. We take a new one and leave it behind when the cruise is over.

We have one of those too! Works great!

My favorite mini items to fit in the nooks and crannies of my bag:

Shower scrubby

Ziplocs(3 big, 3 med, 3 snack)

Duct tape wrapped around a Sharpie

Magnetic Clips

Air freshener or Dryer sheets

Door hooks

Collapsible Laundry Bag(dollar store)

Corkscrew

Power strip(3 plug)

A few family photos printed on magnetic paper

And when I'm traveling out of my home port, an Orchid. It lasts much longer than flowers and my room steward always has appreciated it as a gift at the end of the cruise.

I don't know if this was mentioned,but a high lighter or marker. You can use an ink pen, but a high lighter or marker seem to bring more attenion to me, when I'm checking out the things on our paper of what to see/do each day on the ship.

Bring a cork screw for opening that 1 bottle per passenger that you get to bring on board. I also have used it when traveling with friends to open the verandah door between the cabins.

Small flashlight

Laundry detergent packets and dryer sheets for when we do laundry on the ship.

Coolies to keep my canned soda/beer that we purchase around the pool cold.

We will be in a handicap cabin for the first time on our next cruise. Since there is no shelf under the bathroom sink I wonder is anyone has ideas, other than shoe bag, for bathroom storage?

What cabin, what ship?

We will be in a handicap cabin for the first time on our next cruise. Since there is no shelf under the bathroom sink I wonder is anyone has ideas, other than shoe bag, for bathroom storage?

There are shelves above the sink next to the wall according to Princess.