7 Mile Beach .. any waves??

arlsvera

I am going to be in the Caymans in November with my family. We have three teens who love the beach ... but would love it even more if there were waves! I have heard that the water is calm at 7 Mile Beach ... but are there any areas where there might be a few waves - or we have a better chance of seeing waves (for example, in Punta Cana, the further north you go, the rougher the water)?

Seven Mile Beach is usually quite calm with no real waves... unless a nor'wester blows through. Makes no difference where on SMB you go.

When a cold front drops down out of the Gulf of Mexico during the winter months, the wind direction changes from the normal easterly to northwest, thus the name Nor'wester. On those days the cruise ships have to tender to the alternate site in Spotts.

Pretty much all the other sandy beach locations in Grand Cayman are protected from waves by offshore reefs - even the beaches on the windward shore.

While there are not the big waves with breakers (like at Virginia Beach), I still think your teens would be happy at SMB!

Our favorite spot on 7-Mile is Calico Jack's at Sea Grape Beach. Food, drinks, and chair/umbrella rentals -- everything we need for a fun day at the beach! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Out of the handful of times I have been there...I have never seen any breaking waves. I was even on the island when a storm was starting to come in and while the waters started to get rough there still wasnt any waves...nothing to surf or body board on thats for sure. Its pretty calm. Gotta keep in mind that most of GC is surrounded by reefs off shore so they tend to break up the rough seas pretty good

if waves break at 7 mile it is going to be WAY off shore.

about a mile off shore is "the wall" where the dive boats are seen. here the bottom comes up from WAY DEEP to about 60-70 feet VERY QUICKLY. From there the bottom is a shallow sand slope to the beach.

if you know how bottom shape impacts waves I think I just answered the question . . .

Looking a waves is cool.....swimming in waves is NOT....it can be quite disconcerting, and downright dangerous, depending on the wave type!

Most of the Caribbean Islands don't have real waves...at least, not the kind you can surf on!

OK then .. no waves at 7 Mile Beach! I didn't think so, but I thought I'd ask. We've done the stingrays already and we are looking for something adventurous on the island. I'll keep looking! Thanks.

Archived