Serenade of the Seas

Hello,

My DH and I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise this fall (on our bucket list, lol) and really like the Serenade of the Seas itinerary! Our second choice is NCCL Jade but prefer the Serenade with overnight in Venice!!

I have been reading the reviews including the Middle Aged Drama Queen (which I totally enjoyed) but are hesitant to book as the reviews are not great, so I need some help from seasoned RCCL cruisers with opinions about the ship!!

Its been over 6 years since we cruised with RCCL. How is the entertainment, do they duplicate shows? Is there any comedy shows? I know food is subjective and we aren't fussy but would like decent meals in the MDR. Is it hit or miss?

Thanks for the help!!

Hello,

My DH and I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise this fall (on our bucket list, lol) and really like the Serenade of the Seas itinerary! Our second choice is NCCL Jade but prefer the Serenade with overnight in Venice!!

I have been reading the reviews including the Middle Aged Drama Queen (which I totally enjoyed) but are hesitant to book as the reviews are not great, so I need some help from seasoned RCCL cruisers with opinions about the ship!!

Its been over 6 years since we cruised with RCCL. How is the entertainment, do they duplicate shows? Is there any comedy shows? I know food is subjective and we aren't fussy but would like decent meals in the MDR. Is it hit or miss?

Thanks for the help!!

Not sure what you mean by duplicate shows. Most shows are shown twice each night, so as to be convenient for each traditional dining time. There is usually at least one comedy show, and that comedian also typically does a late nite adult comedy. Other shows would be things like production shows (usually two different shows per cruise), juggling, dancing, singing, magicians, etc.

Not sure what you mean by duplicate shows. Most shows are shown twice each night, so as to be convenient for each traditional dining time. There is usually at least one comedy show, and that comedian also typically does a late nite adult comedy. Other shows would be things like production shows (usually two different shows per cruise), juggling, dancing, singing, magicians, etc.

We are on the 9/26 Serenade cruise - 12 nights from Barcelona with the overnight in Venice. It has been awhile since we were on the Serenade and are looking forward to the revitalized ship with the upgrades. This itinerary is very port intensive with only 2 sea days...........we may take in a show or two but will likely be in bed resting up for the next 8 hour plus tour.

We have a good active Roll Call - stop by and visit and hope that you enjoy the Med..........no matter which ship you chose.

I was on the Serenade with the Middle-Aged Drama Queen... Honestly, the Serenade was fine for a European cruise because we were so exhausted every day in port we weren't looking for lots of shows/entertainment. The food in the MDR was good- some entrees were great, some just average. We loved the layout of the ship itself.

Sorry I didn't clarity, I meant duplicating the same show for 2 nights. This has been happening on Princess and was wondering if RCCL does the same.

We are on the 9/26 Serenade cruise - 12 nights from Barcelona with the overnight in Venice. It has been awhile since we were on the Serenade and are looking forward to the revitalized ship with the upgrades. This itinerary is very port intensive with only 2 sea days...........we may take in a show or two but will likely be in bed resting up for the next 8 hour plus tour.

We have a good active Roll Call - stop by and visit and hope that you enjoy the Med..........no matter which ship you chose.

Thank you for the invite!! We are looking at the 11/15 cruise, sounds like the same itinerary only this has 3 sea days with 2 of them being at the end!! It is very port intensive and I love having the sea days at the end to relax!! Enjoy your cruise!!

Sorry I didn't clarity, I meant duplicating the same show for 2 nights. This has been happening on Princess and was wondering if RCCL does the same.

No, that doesn't happen on Serenade or most RCI ships. It does occur on Oasis and Allure. On Serenade the shows will be different each night. I have not been aboard in a few years but it is a beautiful ship. I'm not sure what would disappoint you with this ship.

Steppy08 and CVU, thanks for the vote of confidence!! Love this itinerary with all the Italian ports!! As long as the ship is clean and dinner in the MDR is decent, we are happy, lol!! Can't wait to tour the ports and sample the local cuisine!!

You will have an awesome time! Twice on our cruise (Rome and Naples) we were so tired from running around in port that we didn't even go to dinner. That was a first for me in my cruising experiences, I never thought I would ever skip dinner!

Hello,

Thanks for the help!!

You SO need to book the Serenade!!! I hope my review didn't mislead you in thinking I didn't enjoy the ship - I DID! And the ports - WOW! The entertainment was fine - not super excellent, but still enjoyable - and besides, we were SO exhausted from our days in port that the entertainment wasn't a priority for us. (I hope that makes sense...???!!)

The food in the MDR will always be hit or miss - depending on a person's taste, what they order, etc. The nice thing is, if you don't like an appetizer or entree, you can try something else with no problem. ;)

(P.S. I'm glad you enjoyed my review - and I hope you decide on the Serenade - she's a beautiful ship!)

You SO need to book the Serenade!!! I hope my review didn't mislead you in thinking I didn't enjoy the ship - I DID! And the ports - WOW! The entertainment was fine - not super excellent, but still enjoyable - and besides, we were SO exhausted from our days in port that the entertainment wasn't a priority for us. (I hope that makes sense...???!!)

The food in the MDR will always be hit or miss - depending on a person's taste, what they order, etc. The nice thing is, if you don't like an appetizer or entree, you can try something else with no problem. ;)

(P.S. I'm glad you enjoyed my review - and I hope you decide on the Serenade - she's a beautiful ship!)

Sherri, I have been pouring over reviews of the Serenade and I have to say, yours was one of the best ones I have read on CC!! Totally enjoyed it, loved your escapade through Europe with your hubby and the Klingons!! The only thing that was disappointing was your ending where you said your hubby would not cruise on the Serenade again! So I thought I would ask other RCI cruisers their thoughts on the Serenade.

We are not fussy eaters but I was concerned about dinners in the MDR. I've come to the conclusion that entertainment is not a priority as we may be too tired to stay awake after touring all day. Keep forgetting we are not going to the Caribbean!:p

I did a lot of note taking reading your review, thanks so much for including the links!! Unfortunately, there are no stops in Greece but hopefully someday we will get to do another European cruise. So much to see and do!!

Now to book it!!!

We've done the 12 niter from Barcelona and visiting Venice on the Brilliance. We love this itinerary, and are booked this August on the Serenade. There's been good feedback on the CC borad, and looking forward as the Serenade has been refreshed and "Oasized". There's been talk by the Venice/Italian to ban these large ships (due to their wakes) from entering the canals, so we will enjoy passing by St. Mark's Square one more time.

• 1 month later...

I called RCL as we have 2 booked B2B in Sept. and they are N/A for the second time this week!

Last call on Monday, they said it was for Inventory.......

RCL says today it is for sailing maintenance.........for 2 months?:eek:

Had this happen to use before and the Voyager, went to Asia instead of the Med. we had booked.

Isn't looking good for our B2B we are thinking.:rolleyes:

Archived