LGBTQI Friends and Allies of Dorothy!

11dfr11

I, for one, adore your outrageousness. Upon occasion, I have been admonished that "The best response is no response,' but I don't have it in me, especially when I'm a witness to bigotry. Would it have been better to sternly lecture her on the evils of bigotry? Would a lecture have changed her mind?

Of course not. Had I been there, I would have joined you with a bit of improv. One look at me, and you'd know I'm an older straight woman, but she wouldn't have known that, and I would have left her thinking I'd made a pass at her.

Sometimes, exaggerating and perpetuating a stereotype is very effective. I have African-American friends who can set the bigots on their ears by doing just that.

It doesn't hurt that you are a gifted storyteller. :)

Encore! Encore!

Two Wrongs don't make a Right, however I am tired of being put down, ridiculed and maligned for being Gay, everyday. Not just while I am on vacation, spending my hard money, by some bigot. Yes, my reaction, childish as it was, with my, tending to be outrageous, personality and humor, I was able to get MY point across. If you disagree, that is all very well. But it was my story to tell, My Honest Reaction. I told it truthfully and brought it to the fold. I could have chosen not to tell it, but to what end?

Thankfully, my childish humor has opened a dialog and for the many not posting and reading this thread, maybe, just maybe, being Gay becomes, if not accepted, tolerated and a big ol' "So What?"

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, JW.. I believe ignoring ignorance is more powerful than publicly mocking someone. Stereotypes are perpetuated and acceptance (at least for the person being mocked) becomes an even more elusive goal.

I live my life expecting acceptance and it really makes me cringe when I see the formerly bullied now taking up the mantle of being the bully.

So, well agree to disagree and recognize that this does not have to make us disagreeable old queens ;)

Looking forward to the next chapter of your review

We like to socialize with all people and tbh...feel the need for a separate social group rather at odds at what we are trying to achieve..

I have never heard it put so right on the mark! As a straight male, I appreciate hearing this from a gay person.

I'm not gay but thank you for telling me where the fun will be!

My wife & I will be there every night! :D

I have never heard it put so right on the mark! As a straight male, I appreciate hearing this from a gay person.

My wife & I will be there every night! :D

Right ship, right month, wrong year...but we'll be in the Martini Bar a year ahead of you...hoping to find equally enlightened fellow passengers! (Good news is that we always meet great people!)

Happy cruising,

Andrew

I believe ignoring ignorance is more powerful than publicly mocking someone.

I commend JW for addressing and handling the situation with humor. There's nothing powerful in being silent and letting someone get away with bigotry. In fact, it's irresponsible.

I commend JW for addressing and handling the situation with humor. There's nothing powerful in being silent and letting someone get away with bigotry. In fact, it's irresponsible.

I came out over thirty years ago; the world was a VERY different place. I have had many "in your face" encounters over the years confronting bigotry, hatred, including many ACT UP demonstrations. I have been denied jobs and housing (many years ago) because of the simple fact that I was gay; situations that I used to help pass sexual orientation laws in the state where i was then residing.

That said, we'll have to disagree on this one, Andrew. We are at a point in our community's evolution where I believe that ignoring ignorance (and not perpetuating stereotypes) is much more effective given the march of history towards full equality.

So, I simply reject being labeled as being "irresponsible" for my opinion and respect you and JW for your 'humor based' approach as another method of confronting bigotry. I'd hope for the same and would also hope that differing opinions would not get us to the point of bestowing derogatory labels on each other.

I came out over thirty years ago; the world was a VERY different place. I have had many "in your face" encounters over the years confronting bigotry...
Well Greg, I can't help but admire all that you've done to further the cause. So maybe it was not my right to comment; I've never been the object of prejudice myself.

Maybe you're trying to convey what my wife tells me though? She is of African descent and works as a support worker in a seniors home. She is often called the 'n' word by some of the residents. I ask her why she stands for it. She tells me there's little point in addressing it. 'They're old. They're from a different time and will be gone soon. It's easier just to let it go in one ear and out the other. There's a new generation behind them', she says.

While I admire JW's use of humor to diffuse a touchy situation, I can also understand your concern with perpetuating the stereotype. Still I can't deny the fact that it would have given me a lump in my throat if you'd silently sat there sipping a martini while Dorothy figuratively sent you to the back of the bus.

Maybe if cruiseguys2009 was mature and classy like our Premier of Ontario, Kathleen Wynne it would push along the cause of L & G
I know Kathleen personally. She has been the MP of my community for over 10 years. No one knows what she's like when she's off work or on a cruise for that matter. But if I found out that she embodies even half the joie de vivre that JW does, there would be even more reason for me to give her a vote in the next provincial election.

As a gay man myself...and so is my partner (supposedly - lol) ...we couldn't care less whether its announced in the Daily or down at Guest Relations......we don't go.

We like to socialize with all people and tbh...feel the need for a separate social group rather at odds at what we are trying to achieve. And it's never a guarantee of compatibility anyway given the tenuous link of a common sexual preference.

My partner of 32 years and I like to socialize with everyone regardless of sexual orientation. Being with a group of gays does not guarantee a good time. We have friends from all walks of life and they are both gay and straight. :)

My partner of 32 years and I like to socialize with everyone regardless of sexual orientation. Being with a group of gays does not guarantee a good time. We have friends from all walks of life and they are both gay and straight. :)

LOVE THIS! P.S. - Chicago is my favorite city in the whole world!

As a gay man myself...and so is my partner (supposedly - lol) ...we couldn't care less whether its announced in the Daily or down at Guest Relations......we don't go.

We like to socialize with all people and tbh...feel the need for a separate social group rather at odds at what we are trying to achieve. And it's never a guarantee of compatibility anyway given the tenuous link of a common sexual preference.

thank you for saying this! My husband and I have friends from all walks of life and do not consider their sexuality as a criteria. I am more interested in each person's knowledge, interests, vitality so that we can enjoy each others' company.

Ellen

My point was taken well out of what I was saying. So be it.

I believe in integration of all that is why I have never gone on Olivia or Fay cruise. I shouldn't have to pay extra for who or what I am and I join in with everyone.

On that point, I say good night to the discussion.

Enjoy your cruises!

Archived