LGBTQI Friends and Allies of Dorothy!

11dfr11

Celebrity Cruises

It is an injustice that you announce in your daily newsletter "Friends of Bill" ,but never announce "Friends of Dorothy" when you are Gay Friendly.

This is a disservice to us that love your ships and staff. We would also like it to be at an hour when all can go which would either be 4:30-5:00pm on sea days and 8:30pm on port days. I know this has been recommended before and nothing has been done about it.

We don't want to have to come to the guest relations board to read if and when it is being held.

Please change this for the rights of all.

Dale:)

I absolutely agree that it should be in the news letter but changing the time to 8.30pm would be a problem for anyone who has selected late dining.

On our last cruise on Crown Princess we went along to the GLBT meeting on the first day at the time & venue arranged by the cruise line but everyone present agreed that we would meet everyday at another bar at a time which suited us all.

Hi Dale, I suggest calling/writing HQ in Miami about it. I know folks

from Celebrity see the boards but a policy change would be more likely

to be addressed from there.

Every cruise we have been on has an LGBT get together posted in the daily paper...Am I missing something?

Sadly, yes. Not every cruise posts this in the daily paper. It seems to be at the discretion of the Cruise Director.

Perhaps they announce the "Friends of Bill W." because they are addressing a disease & "Friends of Dorothy" is not. I know that some years ago they stopped posting many organizational get togethers in the daily, & just posted them on a bulletin board.

As far as the timing of meetings, you are never, never going to satisfy everyone. In the end, if it is that important to someone that they attend, they Should adjust their schedule accordingly.

Celebrity Cruises

It is an injustice that you announce in your daily newsletter "Friends of Bill" ,but never announce "Friends of Dorothy" when you are Gay Friendly.

This is a disservice to us that love your ships and staff. We would also like it to be at an hour when all can go which would either be 4:30-5:00pm on sea days and 8:30pm on port days. I know this has been recommended before and nothing has been done about it.

We don't want to have to come to the guest relations board to read if and when it is being held.

I don't recall seeing Friends of Dorothy posted in the news letter but we do see it posted on the notice board in guest relations. No need to worry we Gay boys find each other with or with out a posting. The usual meeting spot is the Martini bar at 7:00 p.m.:):)

Celebrity used to list both "Friends of Bill W" and "Friends of Dorothy" in the daily program. But on our most recent cruise (Infinity), Friends of Dorothy was only posted on the Community Bulletin Board, as "LGBT Getogether"

Royal and Celebrity made the change a few years ago that social groups, including Friends of Dorothy would not be published, but support groups like Friends of Bill W. would and I completely understand this. Allowing social groups to create their own meetings and post by guest services is a fair solution. There are tons of social groups and to publish for all of them could be difficult. Its not an issue of not being "gay friendly". My partner and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences on Celebrity, Royal and all lines we have sailed.

Where is the Notice Board?

It's a good idea to let all passengers know there is a Notice Board and add a reminder in the Daily each day to check it for other group meetings and events.

Penny

Hi Penny, there is a board located near Guest Relations.

I don't recall seeing Friends of Dorothy posted in the news letter but we do see it posted on the notice board in guest relations. No need to worry we Gay boys find each other with or with out a posting. The usual meeting spot is the Martini bar at 7:00 p.m.:):)

I'm not gay but thank you for telling me where the fun will be!

Royal and Celebrity made the change a few years ago that social groups, including Friends of Dorothy would not be published, but support groups like Friends of Bill W. would and I completely understand this. Allowing social groups to create their own meetings and post by guest services is a fair solution. There are tons of social groups and to publish for all of them could be difficult. Its not an issue of not being "gay friendly". My partner and I have had nothing but wonderful experiences on Celebrity, Royal and all lines we have sailed.

RCCL and Celebrity did make the switch a few years ago as amatter of policy, and its understandable. It was getting plain silly to incude the knitters, bikers, canasta club, Friends of Dorothy, and any other social group in the daily bulletin, since the daily bulletin pretty full to begin with.

Like someone mentioned they will call it whatever you want.... Friends of Dorothy...LGQT.... etc, you just have to ask, they will also change the time to whatever anyone asks but they set it at one time to make sure a venue in available to host it, but they could care less what time its held. On one cruse we changed it to 7:30 each night.

Guarantee though whatever time you change it to half the people won't be happy with it and half the people will be down at guest relations complaining about it.

Bottom line is there is not a correct solution to the isuue, just a matter of preference

Celebrity Cruises

Is this thread a joke? Because it seems rather presumptuous of you to proclaim to speak for all gay people ("we" would like this and that...). As a gay person, I think there are many "injustices" in the world, but Celebrity's not posting FOD meetings in the newlsetter along with Friends of Bill meeings is not even remotely one of them. Apart from the fact that sexual orientation isn't a disease or a problem, social group mtgs are posted on the bulletin board near Guest Services.

As for FOD itself, I'm soooo tired of that name. It's a closet name, a relic of another era; it's outlived its usefulness, and far too many people don't even know what it means.

Bottom line, as noted above: most GLBT folks interested in socializing together seem to know to turn up around 7pm in the Martini Bar. :)

Is this thread a joke? Because it seems rather presumptuous of you to proclaim to speak for all gay people ("we" would like this and that...). As a gay person, I think there are many "injustices" in the world, but Celebrity's not posting FOD meetings in the newlsetter along with Friends of Bill meeings is not even remotely one of them. Apart from the fact that sexual orientation isn't a disease or a problem, social group mtgs are posted on the bulletin board near Guest Services.

As for FOD itself, I'm soooo tired of that name. It's a closet name, a relic of another era; it's outlived its usefulness, and far too many people don't even know what it means.

Bottom line, as noted above: most GLBT folks interested in socializing together seem to know to turn up around 7pm in the Martini Bar. :)

Well said. !!!

As a gay man myself...and so is my partner (supposedly - lol) ...we couldn't care less whether its announced in the Daily or down at Guest Relations......we don't go.

We like to socialize with all people and tbh...feel the need for a separate social group rather at odds at what we are trying to achieve. And it's never a guarantee of compatibility anyway given the tenuous link of a common sexual preference.

I agree. I find "FOD" to be a relic of the closeted past. Thankfully, society has/is evolving and it is no longer necessary speak in code.

Perhaps they announce the "Friends of Bill W." because they are addressing a disease & "Friends of Dorothy" is not.

Until 1973, Friends of Dorothy would have also been addressing a "disease" until the American Psychiatric Association decided to eliminate homosexuality as a mental illness. Thankfully, times have changed. :)

On our April 13th Celebrity Reflection sailing, at the bar that the "Friends of Dorothy" gathering was to be held (at 10:15PM Molecular Bar), I found a lone lady sipping a Signature Martini. She was distraught, as her name was Dorothy, and she thought the group that she was with was holding a "Surprise Party" for her. She saw the sign at the Guest Relations Desk. "Friends of Dorothy" 10:15 PM Molecular Bar.

The bartender at the Molecular did not have the where-with-all to explain to the Real "Dorothy" what FOD meant, so I told her. She about ready cold cocked me right there and exclaimed "What will my Husband Think!" and "Oh My Gawd, I have to Leave, I have to Leave Now!" All of our Group Saw Me here!" "You people are sick!"

I told her there were worse things in life. Like thinking that "Friends of Dorothy" were throwing her a special party in her honor......and then I reminded her, that there are people dying of Cancer, and could not care less if anyone was Gay. She then asked if I were Gay, and I said yes, and this is my Husband of 21 years. Jerome said "Please to meet you!" and she refused to shake his extended hand.

She got up, and just said "Disgusting!" then "Revolting!" to the Bartender. He shrugged his shoulders and then she ran away.

Later, a few days later I saw her eating at a table at the Buffet with her Husband, and just said in the most Gay-est tone I could muster!...., "Mommisita!" "Hola!..... Darling!" "We missed you at The Gigantic Weenie Party at the Martini Bar last Night!" "You told us you were going to Judge the bigest weenie contest!" "We all Missed you, and so wished you were there. What as shame, it would have been Fabulous!". We kept walking.

Have a nice day.

On our April 13th Celebrity Reflection sailing, at the bar that the "Friends of Dorothy" gathering was to be held (at 10:15PM Molecular Bar), I found a lone lady sipping a Signature Martini. She was distraught, as her name was Dorothy, and she thought the group that she was with was holding a "Surprise Party" for her. She saw the sign at the Guest Relations Desk. "Friends of Dorothy" 10:15 PM Molecular Bar.

The bartender at the Molecular did not have the where-with-all to explain to the Real "Dorothy" what FOD meant, so I told her. She about ready cold cocked me right there and exclaimed "What will my Husband Think!" and "Oh My Gawd, I have to Leave, I have to Leave Now!" All of our Group Saw Me here!" "You people are sick!"

I told her there were worse things in life. Like thinking that "Friends of Dorothy" were throwing her a special party in her honor......and then I reminded her, that there are people dying of Cancer, and could not care less if anyone was Gay. She then asked if I were Gay, and I said yes, and this is my Husband of 21 years. Jerome said "Please to meet you!" and she refused to shake his extended hand.

She got up, and just said "Disgusting!" then "Revolting!" to the Bartender. He shrugged his shoulders and then she ran away.

Later, a few days later I saw her eating at a table at the Buffet with her Husband, and just said in the most Gay-est tone I could muster!...., "Mommisita!" "Hola!..... Darling!" "We missed you at The Gigantic Weenie Party at the Martini Bar last Night!" "You told us you were going to Judge the bigest weenie contest!" "We all Missed you, and so wished you were there. What as shame, it would have been Fabulous!". We kept walking.

Have a nice day.

What was age of this woman?

I wonder who has the more childish mind :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree that it should be in the news letter but changing the time to 8.30pm would be a problem for anyone who has selected late dining.

On our last cruise on Crown Princess we went along to the GLBT meeting on the first day at the time & venue arranged by the cruise line but everyone present agreed that we would meet everyday at another bar at a time which suited us all.

I agree,that would be a great way to solve the issue. But again, we should be in the news letter. We are very important.

Yes, I agree that "FOD" is old, as when we were first asked about it, we didn't know what it meant. As for a disease, we are not.

The dilemma is when you call down to guest relations and ask when the first meeting is going to be, they acted like they didn't know what we were talking about. Second dilemma, is I love meeting all the boys and we have become very close with a few, Where are all the women? Not to be stereotyping anyone, but there is gadar and yes you see them, but for the most part they don't join in.

Why is that? This is the biggest dilemma of all. I/ we are not separatist and expect all of us to have fun with each others and our allies. As a past sponsor of a GSA group in the school system, and a protester for all civil rights, where are the women?:)

What was age of this woman?

I wonder who has the more childish mind :rolleyes:

I might have some sympathy for the woman had she not uttered words like "revolting "and and "disgusting." I understand your points that a.) accepting and understanding are a generational thing for manu folks, as borne out by the various voting statistics , and, b.) the humor involved does seem a little "high school." If the woman had merely left without commenting, I , even as a gay man and activist, would have told the two men that their "joke" was in poor form. But, if her comments were accurately reported, she deserves no more respect than a schoolyard bully, no matter her age. The right to speak your mind comes with the responsibility to understand the impact your words might have. True that I would have probably handled this differently, as I do believe living well is the best revenge. When this type of cruiser sees me interacting with others, having a good time, laughing and enjoying myself, it is often more "punishment" than the gentleman's "joke." Again, given her comments, I do understand his reaction.

Andrew

I agree,that would be a great way to solve the issue. But again, we should be in the news letter. We are very important.

So you want special treatment for FOD over other affinity groups or meetings that are placed on the bulletin board. If I remember correctly they don't put the cruise critic meetings on the dailies. Also, FOB does not compare in any sense.

Archived