Which elevator, Sagrada Familia

Hello all! I apologize for yet another post about Sagrada Familia; however, I was wondering your preference about which elevator to take. We are in good physical condition and have no problem with the stairs, but were wondering which is "the best" as far as views and things to see goes (in your opinion)? I have read that there is no way to pre-book this, but I have also heard about tickets for the elevators selling out in the afternoon... have you experienced this?

We are planning on arriving around 4 p.m to beat the crowd and plan on spending about 3 hours here at the most. We plan on getting the family pass. Just so I have this clear, it is for four people and two additional passes come with it, correct? Also, having this pass means you can arrive at any time without having to prebook a specific time-slot, correct?

Also, what is your opinion on getting an audio guide?

Thanks in advance for your opinions! I truly appreciate it.

I can't speak to which elevator to take since we haven't been yet. Having just gotten our family membership stuff in the mail recently, I can tell you that the 2 additional tickets that you get have codes on them that you use to purchase timed entry tickets online. So keep that in mind if you need to use those for the size of your group.

Do you have to use the extra tickets for a timed entry or can you just bring them anytime with the other 4? From what I understand from their email, you do not need to make a reservation for any of them. Is this true?

For anybody who has been on the elevator(s), which did you take and why?

Thank you!

Do you have to use the extra tickets for a timed entry or can you just bring them anytime with the other 4? From what I understand from their email, you do not need to make a reservation for any of them. Is this true?

I received two paper vouchers for the additional tickets. They are in Spanish, so I'm not sure what they say on them. However, the instructions in the accompanying letter indicate you need to either call or go online and use them to get timed entry tickets. You may want to email them to be sure. The email is amics@sagradafamilia.org.

The line queues to enter at the Passion facade. We were only given the option of Passion facade tower. We were required to request the lift tickets when entering with our Friends of the Sagrada membership cards and were given the next available lift time. We entered around 1:00pm and the next lift availability was 3:15pm.

At the time we arrived, the line was queued around three sides of the building. I can't imagine how long the wait must of have been. With our cards, we were able to completely bypass the line and walk straight in.

The lift holds about 6 people including the operator. It makes multiple runs during the time slot. You ride approximately 2/3 of the way up and then climb a narrow passage way of stairs. I don't know the count but it wasn't a difficult climb for this slightly out of shape 50 year old. You have the option of taking the lift or stairs on the return.

There were several that didn't pay attention to the posted directions for which set of stairs to climb and which set to use to descend. It made for some very tight squeezes.

Another poster mentioned the two additional paper tickets received with a membership. You do indeed have to contact the office to convert them into entrance tickets. The wouldn't accept them directly at the window.

Also, the offer for free lift tickets included in the membership packet is only good through June 30th.

Hope this is of help,

~ Sheryl

We were there just last month. I think it depends on the time of year as to how crowded it will be. I had been reading to get there first thing in the morning or you could have 1 to 2 hour waits.

As our schedule worked out, we couldn't get there until 1 to 2 pm. For us, there was a line, but it moved quickly and we were inside within 5 minutes. Again, this was APRIL and I imagine in the summer it will be a zoo.

With that said, we bought the combination ticket which included a tower. They asked us if we wanted to take an elevator up and walk down or if we wanted an elevator both directions. They said the advantage of walking down is that we could take the elevator in 1/2 an hour where as the elevator both ways was 1 plus hours. We went for the 1/2 hour since I had heard some say that the walk down had some great picture ops from various opened windows. I agree.

Since we were offered two options of RT elevator or the walking down option, I don't know if that told you which elevator you were using. I do know that we were in the one that had many more people in the line. Nothing too long, but the other one you could almost walk right up to and no line at all.

Does anyone know if the difference was whether you picked the elevator both ways or if you said you would walk?

• 3 weeks later...

I've read somewhere that the lines for the Passion façade elevator are typically longer than they are for the Nativity façade elevator, because you must walk down from the Nativity façade towers (narrow spiral stone staircase).

Several years ago when we visited, we went up the Nativity façade elevator. Being on that façade, you are up close and personal with work actually done by Gaudi. Also, the views across Barcelona are spectacular. Since we did not go up the Passion façade towers, I can't compare the views. It was not a big deal for us to go down the steps, though I suppose it could be for some.

MedCruise2010106.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Archived