Can Quantum Compete with Breakaway?

So Quantum his the best 'gimmicks' but Breakaway has 20+ dining options and 'The Waterfront', all for us grow-ups!

Has NCL blown RCI out of the water?

Comparison: http://youtu.be/8npCmJ4CYtM

Breakaway Ship Tour:

Breakaway is a very attractive looking ship. There's only one thing about it that makes me hesitant. It's NCL. I have yet to have a NCL cruise that meets the level of service and ship upkeep as my RCI cruises. So between the 2, I would book QOS just because of the brand. JMHO.

I have seriously been considering the Breakaway, but I have some reservations....I do think that NCL has better itineraries for Bermuda, but RCCL wins for the Caribbean hands down. There are a lot of dining options on the Breakaway, but almost all are fee options...that does not appeal to me. It seems like the Allure/Oasis have more free options. And it's not all about the dining. I don't like that there are additional areas of the NCL ships that you can't access unless you pay (i.e. the Haven areas, only accessible by suite guests, or Vibe). And the Breakaway balconies are really small. The ship does seem really beautiful, though, and the waterslides are a huge plus for the kids. I will need more reviews from when she starts sailing full to Bermuda before we make a decision.

I'm not sure how much my family would use everything on the Quantum...I wasn't as Wow'd as I was when the Oasis came out. It will be interesting to see how some of the features really work once she starts sailing. It's nice to have these options!

I've never cruised NCL, but several of my friends have tried it either because of their great family deals (kids sail free promotions) or the neat looking features on some of their new ships. 100% of the people I know who have tried NCL have said that it doesn't measure up to RCI. They all said the food and entertainment was sub-par, as was the maintenance level on the ships. All have vowed not to sail NCL again.

The Breakaway looks very cool, but if the actual on-board experience is similar to the other NCL ships, Quantum of the Seas won't have anything to worry about.

I know it's not a fare compariosn because much of Quantum is still secret, but it's fun to speculate.

I don't think there will be too much room left inside 'Quantum' for any more big 'wow' spaces, apart from 270.

Breakaway 'wows' becuse of the on-board choices, maybe Quantum will too?

I know it's not a fare compariosn because much of Quantum is still secret, but it's fun to speculate.

I don't think there will be too much room left inside 'Quantum' for any more big 'wow' spaces, apart from 270.

Breakaway 'wows' becuse of the on-board choices, maybe Quantum will too?

Time will tell. I honestly think Quantum will compete well against the Breakaway.

Breakaway is a very attractive looking ship. There's only one thing about it that makes me hesitant. It's NCL. I have yet to have a NCL cruise that meets the level of service and ship upkeep as my RCI cruises. So between the 2, I would book QOS just because of the brand. JMHO.

this

For US: it's Quality over Concept. From all the feedback and reviews, NCL can't touch RCCL's quality. So, we will choose Quantum even if she doesn't compete along the lines of 'bells and whistles' in the end.

I've only cruised RCCL, so I can't compare first hand, but I've put out a lot of questions out to my fellow CC'ers and my family who are avid cruisers (pinnacle on RCCL, but certainly not loyal to Royal). They have told me repeatedly that the food on NCL just can't compete. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the specialty restaurants and dine almost exclusively in them, so for me, 20+ restaurants doesn't mean a thing if they don't measure up in food selections, atmosphere or service.

Plus, RCCL has spoiled me with their overall attentive service and I would not be happy with a step down in that area.

SO, all that to say... bling don't mean a thing if it sacrifices quality. We're booking Quantum regardless :)

As I noted on the NCL board its not a fair comparison yet since we don't know so much about Quantum... yada yada yada...

...with that caveat, I'm really surprised about how small Breakaway's balconies are. I'm not going to cancel my cruise over it, I'm just... surprised. Also, the walkaway on the outdoor promenade... I can't imagine how that space will be functional if only 2 people can fit through at a time. I'm booked on the ship and will give it every benefit of the doubt, but I think there are some basic design elements that weren't considered carefully enough by NCL. My biggest pet peeve is a lack of deck space by the main pool, and the jury is still out on that one.

So Quantum his the best 'gimmicks' but Breakaway has 20+ dining options and 'The Waterfront', all for us grow-ups!

Has NCL blown RCI out of the water?

Comparison: http://youtu.be/8npCmJ4CYtM

Breakaway Ship Tour:

From a recent review you posted on another site, Norwegian Breakaway review, the picture of the Mini Suite balcony is very revealing. That most be the smallest balcony for a mini suite I have seen (with my limited cruise history). No cabin with the word "suite" should have such a small balcony especially for a new build. In think this balcony is as small as those found on Carnival's Facination class vessels, V category.

Yes Breakaway does have some very cool stuff, but we have not seen all that Quantum has. There will be a whole lot more "Wow" coming I think.

Believe both ships will do very well in the NY market. I did one NCL cruise a couple of years ago on the Pearl and I liked it. We did not do the MDR heard to many disappointing stories about it but we did enjoy all the speciality restaurants and thought the ship was layout nicely and would have no problem cruising on them again.

From a recent review you posted on another site, Norwegian Breakaway review, the picture of the Mini Suite balcony is very revealing. That most be the smallest balcony for a mini suite I have seen (with my limited cruise history). No cabin with the word "suite" should have such a small balcony especially for a new build. In think this balcony is as small as those found on Carnival's Facination class vessels, V category.

After reading a couple comments today about those balconies, I Googled them. Yikes! Small doesn't describe them. They are tiny. As a balcony snob, that's a big minus for me.

After reading a couple comments today about those balconies, I Googled them. Yikes! Small doesn't describe them. They are tiny. As a balcony snob, that's a big minus for me.

A big minus indeed. I don't know how they overlooked this in the planning stages of the build process. Also I doubt if any NCL top officials have tried to sit out there.

Wow, they are small, a big minus for us also :(

Well I saw the balconies on the Breakaway and could not believe how small they were and this was supposed to be a mini suite. We book nice large cabins to enjoy the balcony. That is my safe haven away from the crowds. Hard to believe that they would build a ship with such narrow balconies. That is a major turn off for me. I think that the Breakaway looks nice and offers some nice features but right now it's not on my list of cruises. While I like NCL they are not my first or second choice of cruise lines. That goes to Celebrity and RCI.

I offered my opinion on the NCL boards yesterday and I'll add it here too.

Much too early to tell. The next couple of months of cruises to Bermuda will help give a general idea of whats hot and whats not on Breakaway. I will say a couple of things from what I see in actual pictures so far for the Breakaway 1) Waterfront too narrow compare to the artist renderings....I can't see two way traffic going smoothly on there. 2) Balcony cabins - beyond tiny...just what exactly were they thinking?

I Think Both Will Be Very Comparable, And Offer Something For Everyone!!!

I'm Doing Both!!! The Breakaway In October 2013!! And The Quantaum In October 2015!!

I'll Be On The Jewel Oct 2014!!;)

Years back the food on several RCI ships was under mediocre, it was not eatable at all, it was 4-5 years back on Navigator twice and Voyager once. I have done two cruises with NCL and IMHO the food in the MDR was better compared to those cruises I have mentioned above.

Last week I was on Liberty, after 4 years not sailing RCI, and I have to admit that the food was excellent, both in the MDR and the Portofino/Chops Grille. So I think that in the food aspect, both brands are in the same condition.

No cabin with the word "suite" should have such a small balcony especially for a new build.

On Epic the mini-suites startaed there life as "Deluxe" balcony staterooms. They were a little longer than the standard and the shower was bigger (some have a bath/shower). NCL re-graded tham as suites.

On Breakaway the similar cabins are called mini-suites.

Personally i think a suite should always have a seperate room for 'sitting'. A bed-settee to a slightly larger cabin and bathroom does not make it a suite, for me.

dsc_0012.jpg?w=360&h=538

On Epic the mini-suites startaed there life as "Deluxe" balcony staterooms. They were a little longer than the standard and the shower was bigger (some have a bath/shower). NCL re-graded tham as suites.

On Breakaway the similar cabins are called mini-suites.

Personally i think a suite should always have a seperate room for 'sitting'. A bed-settee to a slightly larger cabin and bathroom does not make it a suite, for me.

dsc_0012.jpg?w=360&h=538

Wow! :eek:

I've seen that picture a number of times now and still can't get over how small that balcony is. The only way a normal size human can sit in those chairs with their legs in front of them is to slant them to the side, which is NUTS. My fiancee and I are both quite slender and I'm struggling to see how the two of us could stand out there together at the same time (e.g., at sailaway from a port) without being very uncomfortable.

Archived