Return to Allure - A different review.

I'm a bit baffled. An eleven paragraph review of problems with soda dispensing machines from someone who is not supposed to drink carbonated beverages for medical reasons... I don't normally believe in omens, but this kinda makes me wonder.

I'm not going on the Allure but the Oasis next month. I LOVE Coke Zero and that's why I purchased the soda plan. I'm sad to hear you had a bad experience, I really hope that on the Oasis they work better. :p

I am also hoping this was just a bad week. I know I have them on my job.

I'm a bit baffled. An eleven paragraph review of problems with soda dispensing machines from someone who is not supposed to drink carbonated beverages for medical reasons... I don't normally believe in omens, but this kinda makes me wonder.

I could understand that point of view. Medically, I had the lap band procedure. Part of my success was avoiding these drinks from going from a BMI of 35 (technically obese) to what my doctor said my ideal weight should be. I do not have any medical restrictions on carbonated drinks. However, once I reached my ideal weight, I allowed my self an occasional Coke Zero, or some of the other choices. Unfortunately Minute Made lite which I don't believe is carbonated, was a choice that was empty quite a bit.

FYI, I think that was a good question and I didn't take it was adversarial at all. I will skip ahead and say, I had a wonderful 7 day cruise, ate what I wanted, consumed 4 beers on the final sea day and gained only 1.7 lbs during that time. If I speculated, I would say most of that 1.7 pounds came during the travel days to and from.

Edited by BillOh

I could understand that point of view. Medically, I had the lap band procedure. Part of my success was avoiding these drinks from going from a BMI of 35 (technically obese) to what my doctor said my ideal weight should be. I do not have any medical restrictions on carbonated drinks. However, once I reached my ideal weight, I allowed my self an occasional Coke Zero, or some of the other choices. Unfortunately Minute Made lite which I don't believe is carbonated, was a choice that was empty quite a bit.

FYI, I think that was a good question and I didn't take it was adversarial at all. I will skip ahead and say, I had a wonderful 7 day cruise, ate what I wanted, consumed 4 beers on the final sea day and gained only 1.7 lbs during that time. If I speculated, I would say most of that 1.7 pounds came during the travel days to and from.

I see. It makes a lot more sense with lap band than bypass. Typically bypass means continued strong avoidance of all carbonated beverages as there is a much greater concern about stretching the pouch.

We are scheduled to sail on the Allure in late June. I too have had weight loss surgery, in my case the sleeve. I can't drink carbonated beverages for medical reasons, but am supposed to drink 70 ounces of water a day. I planned to purchase the Freestyle plan specifically for the non- carbonated , sugar free flavored waters. I am not a fan is sugar free lemonade so I was really hoping to have access to lots of different flavors!

I was disappointed to read your report about the machines being in disrepair. I am wondering if I should cancel the package? Any advice?

We are scheduled to sail on the Allure in late June. I too have had weight loss surgery, in my case the sleeve. I can't drink carbonated beverages for medical reasons, but am supposed to drink 70 ounces of water a day. I planned to purchase the Freestyle plan specifically for the non- carbonated , sugar free flavored waters. I am not a fan is sugar free lemonade so I was really hoping to have access to lots of different flavors!

I was disappointed to read your report about the machines being in disrepair. I am wondering if I should cancel the package? Any advice?

So far, my experience does not appear to be the norm. For us it was not a total disaster, but it could be a bit of an inconvenience. If you were sitting down to eat in the Promenade and those machines were empty you may end up at one of the deck 15 or 16 machines to get exactly what you want. For me it was annoying more than anything and I could get water in the dining room. My advice, watch other reviews, mine could be an aberration. If you get the package, you will probably find something acceptable, but like me, it may be more effort than it should be. I really wish I had taken pictures of the screens when some choices were not available so you could see what they were.

Edited by BillOh

I see. It makes a lot more sense with lap band than bypass. Typically bypass means continued strong avoidance of all carbonated beverages as there is a much greater concern about stretching the pouch.

You are correct. My wife who had the RNY doesn't drink anything while eating and when she has an occasional diet coke it is consumed slowly without any other food. She did really like the minute made lite lemonade and could make one last a couple of hours at the pool. She got aggrivated at having to travel all over the ship to get it. I ended up makjing that trip for her as I can't spend as much time at the pool as she did, so i didn't mind the numerous trips on the stairs from deck 15 to deck 5, or from the beach pool to the back of the same deck.

We were on the Allure the week before you (April 21) and had the soda packages as well.

The one machine by Sorrentos, the one on the right, never worked quite right during the entire trip. And the one on the left never had any ice.

These were are most common machines. They tried to fix the one the right at least twice, as in I was there while they were trying to fix it. I don't think they ever got it quite right.

We used the ones in the Windjammer far less often, and the one in the Wipe-out cafe only once with many problems. Only once did I encounter a machine that was out of Coke Zero, and it was late in the cruise.

Only had to wait once for someone, and this was late in the cruise, who seemed to have issues trying to figure it out.

OWD

Good start, Bill!:D

We were also on the cruise with Bill and we had a marvelous time. I would like to reiterate the great Roll Call we had. It made the cruise so much more enjoyable.:)

We did not use the Freestyle machines as we are not big soda drinkers, at least not anymore. I think I averaged one a day and it was usually Ginger Ale in the evening. However, I loved the flavored water, especially the Strawberry-Kiwi. That certainly quenched my sweet drink cravings, although they were not too sweet. We got those by the glass in the Park Cafe and other locations. I know they were available in the Wipe Out Cafe.

Keep the review coming, Bill. I am looking forward to reliving the cruise through you.

I love your writing syle and I just noticed your really cool license plate avatar! Is that really your license plate?!:cool:

Tara

Thank you, it was my plate, but I let is expire. The cost of personlized plates is about the same as some excursions!

Ok, I am still pre-cruise in this review. I'm working on it now, but its hard with my oldest cat Sidney in my lap. If you don't think cats are affectionate, try leaving them for a week. My Sidney needs daily medication so we boarded her for the week. She did well, but now she won't leave my lap!

PRECRUISE STILL

In 2011 this was fleet week. There were also 6 ships in port that week so hotels were scarce and I ended up at a Roadway Inn that was good enough. This time Fleet week was the next week and only 2 ships were in port Saturday and Sunday. We chose the Hyatt Pier 66, partially because of recommendations and partially because it was a short walk to the beach to watch Oasis Sailaway. Many of the Arizona Cruisers were staying at this Hyatt and many of them requested Tower views of the port. I decided to just get a pool side room and let others get the rooms with the views.

As Familygoboston mentioned I was lurking and occasionally butting in on several of the roll calls before us. The Sequestration was adversely affecting cruisers. Many of the roll calls were getting email messages advising them not to arrive at the pier before 1 or 2pm. The week of our cruise the airports were putting some controllers on furlough creating long delays. I had booked my flights to arrive early Saturday afternoon so I wasn't worried about making the cruise, but after a year of discussing it with Rick and others, I really wanted to be at the Oasis sailaway. Fortunately for the first time in about 8 years Congress was able to get something done and the minor crisis was averted. We arrived on time and we were at the Hyatt by 3pm. I calculated I wanted to start my walk to the beach by 3:45.

Upon arrival, we were given a free upgrade to the tower, but were given an ocean view, not a port view but it was nice.

hyatt2.jpg

I liked the grounds and the pool area was very nice.

hyatt1.jpg

The room was nice and I loved the wrap around balcony. I would stay here again. We got ready and headed off to the Oasis Sailaway.

For comparison purposes, I was on the Oasis 4/6 sailing with the soda package, and did not experience any issues obtaining my preferred beverage, diet cherry coke.

I would frequent the machines down on the promenade most often, followed by the ones in Windjammer. I did notice once or twice that the diet cherry coke was greyed out in one machine, and had to therefore use the other machine, but it was never completely unavailable.

During the week, I also noticed once or twice when many selections were unavailable and they were getting ready to service the machine.

Enjoying your review and looking forward to more,

Wendy

Nice review.

Wow you were cruising the Allure and we were in Columbus Saturday and Sunday (volleyball tournament).

Well, come July we will be sailing the Allure, and am eagerly awaiting MORE of your review!

I want MORE.

Keep up the good work.

Sea Ya

I had previously mentioned it was Rick from Australia's idea to make the Oasis sailaway. He and his family had arrived a couple of days earlier and were staying just up the beach. During our discussion in the months ahead of time I posted what I thought was a good walking route. I am a long distance runner and I use a site called walkjogrun.net to map my routes. I used the site to map what i thought was a good route to get to the sailaway site. Here is what I thought would work best. Thanks to Lou at the portwebcam site for pointing me in the direction of the public beach entrance.

myroute.jpg

This route starts at the Hyatt and it is almost exactly a mile to the rocks on the beach. Its worth noting my route goes due south out of the hotel passed a gas station and working my way over to the sailaway. About the time I posted this in our roll call GAMBEE posted a similar map in his review. Our respective maps start and end at the same place. His map though goes each along 17th Ave till it become Seabreeze to get to Mayan Dr. From there you can figure it out. I initally though my route was better because it avoided 17th and what I perceive as heavy traffic there. Ironically traffic on 17th would play a huge roll in our cruise. But getting back to the route to the Oasis Sailaway I decided to test both routes. Gambee, if you see this, feel free to post your route. Now, the walk down 17th to Seabreaze is safe and has a sidewalk. it also has controlled cross walk to cross the street. Now the real reason my route is better ;). My route has sidewalks 100% of the way to the beach entrance. Gambee's route has about 33% with no sidewalks. Now we made it safely, but safe travel of the area on foot was about to play a huge part of our cruise! :eek:. Either route does get you to the beach entrance. Now to a picture I don't think has ever been posted here. I got to this point and still couldn't find the beach access. I had to ask the guard at the gated community. This has to be one of the most poorly placed signs I have seen.

beachentrance.jpg

Edited by BillOh

I was on the same cruise and my husband had the drink package. He loves his Diet Coke. He was really upset with the machines. Either the machine was completely off, out of Diet Coke completely, or even when it was available, it tasted horrible and watery. He ended up going to a bar to get his drink most of the time.

Great start Bill.... It was great meeting you and everyone else from the roll call. Hopefully in 2015 I can book the same cruise as you!

I wasn't planning on getting the soda package but impulse bought it when I saw the machines. I just figured it would be convenient. I had no problems getting diet coke etc from the bars or at shows, everyone was nice about it.

I agree that the machines were terrible. Good luck finding ice and your favourite flavour in the same machine! On the last sea day, the right hand machine at Sorrentos had no flavours except one of the Powerades, which didnt work!

Ill post my review in a few weeks when I get home! The last day or 2 hasn't been very good... Mum broke a tooth and had to get it pulled in Washington DC, my aunty left all the medication in the stateroom fridge... We realised this after getting to the hotel in DC. Royal Caribbeans phone operators should be fired.. The guy I spoke to yesterday and today was extremely rude!

Anyhow ill post about that in my review!! Can't wait to read yours

Edited by jarz85

Awesome review so far!! I'm really disappointed to hear about the freestyle machines. I hope when I go on the Oasis I have a better experience. Question, the flavored water, is it carbonated or not?

Awesome review so far!! I'm really disappointed to hear about the freestyle machines. I hope when I go on the Oasis I have a better experience. Question, the flavored water, is it carbonated or not?

I have not been on the Allure since Dec of 2012 but they had minutemaid and powerade but no other flavored juices.

Great start Bill.... It was great meeting you and everyone else from the roll call. Hopefully in 2015 I can book the same cruise as you!

I wasn't planning on getting the soda package but impulse bought it when I saw the machines. I just figured it would be convenient. I had no problems getting diet coke etc from the bars or at shows, everyone was nice about it.

I agree that the machines were terrible. Good luck finding ice and your favourite flavour in the same machine! On the last sea day, the right hand machine at Sorrentos had no flavours except one of the Powerades, which didnt work!

Ill post my review in a few weeks when I get home! The last day or 2 hasn't been very good... Mum broke a tooth and had to get it pulled in Washington DC, my aunty left all the medication in the stateroom fridge... We realised this after getting to the hotel in DC. Royal Caribbeans phone operators should be fired.. The guy I spoke to yesterday and today was extremely rude!

Anyhow ill post about that in my review!! Can't wait to read yours

Oh dear Rick, what a terrible start to your " land tour". Hope DM is better and did Aunt get her meds? RCL is completely unhelpful in situations like this unfortunately. If she is still without, I might suggest a visit to a " minute clinic" many of our drug stores here have them and you can search for one nearby. The nurse or PA there can probably figure out how to " match" what DA needs and the whole visit would not set you back more than 60 dollars ( the drugs however will cost as much as another Allure cruise, I'm sorry to say!:rolleyes:)

Good luck!:D

After a year, the long awaited Oasis sail away was at hand. First I met Rick from Australia.

rickmeet.jpg

Did I mention I've been married 32 years? :D Of course we were there to see ships. Caribbean Princess was the first to go.

princessleave.jpg

Now it was time for the big show. Lady O as Emmy in the web cam thread calls her was about to leave. I had promised the Oasis Roll call pictures of their departure, which I will post, but I hurriedly didn't bring my longest lens. I got some great hi res pictures of Oasis, but no close in personal shots I had hoped for.

oasisleave.jpg

This view is worth the price of admission alone! I'll probably post a link to the high res version of this photo. Even my wife, who has laughed at me waiting every sailaway on the webcam for a year enjoyed the view.

Edited by BillOh

I don't believe so. Clearly RC was trying to make as many people happy as possible I was very pleased with the potential choices available.

I'm nervous about Allure's size for an older/sedentary person. Can you give your thoughts on crowds and the flow of people, or times when any locations are less crowded than others?

We'll be on Allure this summer. Our family had cruised many times in the past, and had expecially enjoyed RCL. We'll be burying DH's ashes at sea in accordance with his wishes (through RCL). I know our kids aged 21 through 27 will be busy all week, but I don't know if it's going to take me an hour to get from my cabin to the promenade. I have a few months to get in shape though!

I'm nervous about Allure's size for an older/sedentary person. Can you give your thoughts on crowds and the flow of people, or times when any locations are less crowded than others?

We'll be on Allure this summer. Our family had cruised many times in the past, and had expecially enjoyed RCL. We'll be burying DH's ashes at sea in accordance with his wishes (through RCL). I know our kids aged 21 through 27 will be busy all week, but I don't know if it's going to take me an hour to get from my cabin to the promenade. I have a few months to get in shape though!

My parents cruised on Allure back in 2011. They were 86 and 85 at the time. One thing I did to help was to book them near one of the elevator lobbies. The walking turned out to be not a big deal, we just planned for a little extra time to get from place to place.