Can anyone make me feel better about Carnival

rfholcom

I know several people who have booked Alaska on Carnival in the past and they all loved their cruise. So far, the reports coming this year are less then comforting. Has anyone had a good cruise on Carnival this year? I am traveling with a 7 and 8 year old and would love to know that this trip is not going to be a complete bust. I have been wanting to go to Alaska for 20 years and this year is the first one that looks like I am going to make it. I chose Carnival for their ports. I love Celebrity but after the problems last year, I stayed away from them. I was not sure about HAL with the kids. I am very interested in seeing Alaska but I would like to know that the food is ok, the shows at least somewhat entertaining, that there is something to do in the downtime and if anyone has information about how good their kids club seems to be this year, that would be great. It sounds like entertainment outside of the ports is very lacking. Is this true? What type of entertainment is there? This is the least important part of the trip but there is so much attention on Michael that I just wondered how much of a part he played in the cruise.

We're sailing on the Spirit to Alaska on the 29th of June and are a bit nervous too. We went last year on the Serenade of the Seas and it was so wonderful that it will be hard to live up to it. I would highly reccomend the Serenade. We took our 12 and 15 year olds and they loved it. Serenade has rock climbing wall,movie theater,mini golf. and self levelling pool tables. The ship is beautiful with tons of glass perfect for viewing Alaska!

I think the problem postings come in with Carnival - significant reason- Totally UNLIKE all their Caribbean sailings. I have sailed Carnival 3 times to Alaska. One factor you probably need to realize there is no where near the numbers of young people or kids compared to the Caribbean. Bulk of passenger are like every other line- majority middle aged and above.

Frankly what is on board means little to me sailing Alaska, the priority is what is outside the ship. :) So don't worry if they are lacking in hairy chest and knee contests, there are definately fewer activites during the day. They have an excellent ship naturalist- take advantage of the talks.

Most important- why worry what other's say- you are going anyway aren't you??? Have a GREAT time- Alaska is paradise!!

In Alaska it's not the ship IMHO, it's the destination.. Two friends and a family member have gone on Spirit to Alaska (separately) and had a wonderful time.. they enjoyed ship but went for ALASKA, not the onboard stuff.. it was just a good price for them.. neither had been on Carnival before.

In Alaska it's not the ship IMHO, it's the destination.. Two friends and a family member have gone on Spirit to Alaska (separately) and had a wonderful time.. they enjoyed ship but went for ALASKA, not the onboard stuff.. it was just a good price for them.. neither had been on Carnival before.

I agree that the destination is key. That's why I will be very disappointed if the Spirit's engines aren't fixed and we miss some ports of call and the excursions we've so been looking forwared to.

As to Carnival's food, we cruised on the Holiday and Conquest in 2003 and loved their food. Great selection, presentation, taste, etc. We cruised RCI's Grandeur this year and thought it was comparable.

We just got back from Alaska on the Spirit and I agree with the above comments. Being from Florida, we have done the Caribbean so many times that every cruise has started to feel like the same old thing. One of the wonderful things about an AK cruise is that it IS so different.

There were the typical shows at night, but we never went to a single one of them. There were too many other things we'd rather be doing, either in port or on our balcony viewing the scenery. They did have a few of the contests, but those type of things get much less participation on AK cruise because that's not what most people are there for! Alaska is all about getting outside and experiencing the area.

As for the food, we did not enjoy the dining room on the Spirit. We found it to be bland and for the most part, tasteless. The La Playa Grill and room service were much better choices for our taste buds.

Overall, I would have to rate it as the best cruise we've had. Awesome cabin and steward. Great time in ports, easy embarkation and debarkation. The dining room, shows, contests, were all secondary to excursions and port/balcony time.

Has anyone had a good cruise on Carnival this year?

I sailed on the Spirit this past Feb. Awesome ship, my 2nd time on her, and also the Cruise Director Michael Mullane and wife are great. From Resent reports, sounds like the ship is having some engine problems due to probably she doesnt like the colder waters and prefer to swim in the Carribbean or down Mexico.

Again I had a wonderful time on the Spirit this past Feb and will be on the Pride this Oct. Expect to have a great time :)

who kids literally grew up on Carnival since 1998.....I can tell you the 7 and 8 year olds will be entertained and well cared for (a big plus for over-protective Moms like me). We have left the boys on board and gone on excursions or shopping in town without hesitation. And Carnival has absolutely excelled in caring for them (even though our youngest son is a special needs child).

On the down side, now that they are 17 and 13 ... they are growing "out of the Camp Carnival mode" and since Carnival ships don't have the mini golf and climbing walls....I hope your 15 year old still finds enough to be entertained. (since he is used to other activities that Carnival does not offer).

Of course, each child is different and "we make our own bed of roses...or thorns".... and don't get me wrong...my sons LOVE to cruise Carnival. They always have a great time. But it does get harder to "entertain" them as they get older. Camp Carnival does have programs for all the kids ages both posters mentioned.

This is our first trip to Alaska and I am interested to see how the "shipboard" entertainment is different from all our Caribbean cruises. I foresee the Alaskan cruise as being more nature oriented and less "entertainment"... so if you prepare the 12 and 15 year old some....that might help.

As for the food, Carnival has always been consistant from ship to ship and I don't expect this to be any different. I always eat the same thing. (sorry, I am boring) . The beef will always be excellent, except the New York Strip which will be dry and tough. (but then I eat it well done) We love the soups and desserts as well. The lobster does vary some from ship to ship (according to my husband). But he orders enough of them that he has to get a good one in the bunch. If not in the main dining room, we usually eat pizza...so I can't attest to the hamburgers. But then, you have to understand that I have the best attitude....if I don't have to cook it, clean up after it or worry about planning it....I am good to go!!!

OK, I do feel better. My grandsons (8 and 7) have cruised in the past. We went to Canada where things were more laid back and an older crowd than the Caribbean. They LOVED Carnival and they LOVED Canada which are part of the reasons we booked this trip. We did go to a few of the shows when we went to Canada but we spent alot of our time just hanging out and relaxing. Something we almost never do. So, it sounds like we will be fine. We do have a balcony room and the kids already have a chart made up beside their binoculars. It is a contest to see who can spot the most wildlife through the binoculars. We do not go until July 20th so hopefully the ship will be in perfect condition by then. Thanks again for all the positive feedback.

We're going in just over a week, so I'm being an optimist about the engines. This will be our 4th cruise on Carnival, and two of the other three were to Canada, which we also really liked. If you liked Canada, you'll LOVE Alaska. This is our third cruise to Alaska - we went once with Norwegian, and once with HAL. We have enjoyed every cruise we've been on. I consider myself a fussy eater - just ask my Mom, and I've enjoyed the food on every cruise. Remember, if you don't like what you ordered, tell your waiter to take it back and bring you something else. He will do so right away and without flinching!

My suggestion for the children is to make sure they learn about the Gold Rush in Skagway. I don't know what shore excursion you might have planned, but there is a National Park Service office right in town, and the rangers give free walking tours a few times a day. Also, there is a show called the "Days of 98" that's very entertaining. I took a 2 1/2 hour "City and Summit Tour" with Frontier Excursions the first time I went to Alaska, and they took us up to the White Pass, took us out to the Gold Rush Cemetary and told us gold rush stories, and stopped several times for pictures, etc on the way up. It was a really great tour, and I highly recommend it. We took the train the second time, and weren't as impressed, even though we both love trains.

In Juneau, we are going whale watching with Captain Larry (again). We liked it so much last time, that we're going again. Last time we saw sea lions, humpbacks and eagles.

In Ketchikan and Sitka, you can visit an Indian tribal house, and see them dance, and see totem poles and watch them carved. In Ketchikan, they have a lumberjack show. In Sitka, they have a wildlife quest tour. I bet the children would enjoy some of those things.

I always go on a cruise expecting to have a good time, and NOT expecting it to be perfect. (Nothing is perfect, of course.) I've never had a bad cruise. This will be my 11th.

I had a great time, and so did the people I met here on CC that were on my cruise. Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=180837

Engine trouble and missed ports will always cause a lot of disatisfied customers, especially on Carnival, since they don't reimburse well.

And yes, the Spirit has the new bedding. I saw new beds lined up in the hallway one day.

We did the back to back cruise hawaii and alaska april/may. They were so different. If you asked me I would say go with the right attitude and you will enjoy.Hawaii and the 5 sea days were so incomparable to Alaska. We met fantastic people and the ports in Alaska are amazing. For me I wouldn't go with Carnival again to Hawaii but it was just great for Alaska.The cabins are great, the food just ok, but plenty of it. Michael was a pain, but who really cares about the CD.The rest of the crew are great so go and you will enjoy.

Our neighbor went on Carnival last year to Alaska. They witnessed a young twenty-something woman tossing her cookies in the hot tub next to her boyfriend / significant other / husband. On another night, they had an altercation with a middle-aged drunk in one of the lounges.

Both incidents happened in the evening and should not affect young children who are probably in their cabins.

Cheers

General Max

1.You are not on the Titanic, Andrea Doria or Lusitania.

2. A bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at the office.

3. You can get a Pina Colada or drink of choice 24/7

4. You are on a CRUISE not at your desk

HOW BAD CAN IT BE??

Our neighbor went on Carnival last year to Alaska. They witnessed a young twenty-something woman tossing her cookies in the hot tub next to her boyfriend / significant other / husband. On another night, they had an altercation with a middle-aged drunk in one of the lounges.

Both incidents happened in the evening and should not affect young children who are probably in their cabins.

Cheers

General Max

So you personally never witnessed this....

I've been on 3 Carnival cruises, never once saw any of what was just described. I did, however, see a poopy diaper floating in the kids pool once.

None of the passengers I've seen were overly drunk, but a few would not be allowed to drive. But the kids were neither drunk nor puking.

Archived