Red Lipstick!

I am a golden blonde.....well bottled now but was as a youngster:eek:

I have always wanted to wear red lipstick on formal nights but cannot find a color that is not too dark red, too orange, too coral, too pink! I stick with the light pinks:eek:

I am looking for a pretty lighter red that will suit me! If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

You might check some of the cheaper brands at drug stores. Found one a couple of years back that was a clear red. Also, Sally Beauty has tiny tubes; just can't remember if there's a red one. Inexpensive to try and small to pack. One thing I've always had problems with re: red lipstick is it seems to be eaten off quicker. Generally I stick with lipstains but the red ones turn dark.

You might check some of the cheaper brands at drug stores. Found one a couple of years back that was a clear red. Also, Sally Beauty has tiny tubes; just can't remember if there's a red one. Inexpensive to try and small to pack. One thing I've always had problems with re: red lipstick is it seems to be eaten off quicker. Generally I stick with lipstains but the red ones turn dark.

I have been checking the cheaper brands, thought maybe I needed to go to a more expensive brand with some recommendations.

Sally Beauty sounds interesting with tiny tubes to buy...........are they in the drug stores? I will definitely Google them to find out more.

I never thought about stains at all. What can I say.....I

m getting old LOL

Thanks

It depends on your skin tone; not hair color. If you're fair skinned with a blue undertone, as opposed to yellow, (look at the inside of your wrist in good light,) look for a lipstick with blue undertone. Many red lipsticks looked orange on me until I learned this.

Check out L'oreal. They have makeup sorted by Cool, Neutral and Warm tones. If you have blue based skin then you'll want to go with a Cool tone. I like L'oreal's lipsticks, they aren't drying or too waxy.

But if you want to spend some money then try Chanel or Dior lipsticks. I have a couple of Chanel lipsticks that I absolutely love. And last week I bought a Dior that feels really fantastic on my lips. I am a cool toned blonde but prefer pinks, so can't help you with a current colour. I did buy a red last fall from Dior and like it, but don't believe the same colour is available now.

Sally Beauty sounds interesting with tiny tubes to buy...........are they in the drug stores? I will definitely Google them to find out more.

I never thought about stains at all. What can I say.....I

m getting old LOL

Thanks[/quote

I'm probably older than you. Sally Beauty Supply is a stand-alone store. There are other beauty supply places that might have the same type tubes.

You have to be really careful with red lipstick. Also make sure your lips are in good condition.

I too would go for a better quality brand too against a cheapie. I wear gloss most of the time but the few lipsticks I have are Chanel and Dior.

Although not red thought this was worth a mention. I am currently using a Dior lip "glow" which is quite nice and creates your own unique pale lip colour. http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dior-addict-lip-glow?ID=376876&cm_mmc=Google_Beauty_PLA-_-Beauty+PLA+FS_Ad+Group+%232-_-21000230071_-_-_mkwid_C7YqgO32_21000230071%7C-%7CC7YqgO32

Finding out if you have cool or warm skin tones is crucial when it comes to reds, so that needs to be done first. Then you talked about a lighter red - could you possibly be talking about a sheer color?red that's more sheer than cream? Meaning you get the idea of red lips without them being so in your face?

Do you have a Sephora store near you? They put makeup on for you on the store.

I went in a year or so ago and told them that reds always turn pink on me after a few hours. We went through a few before we got it right. I didn't have to buy until I knew what worked for me. I would stop by in the morning and they would apply. I'd leave and go through my day and see just how the color wore on me. I finally found one that stayed a true red on me and bought it.

Before I went through all this with them I had bought and tossed more red lipsticks than I care to admit. I'd put them on. They would look red and a few hours later they would look pink.

Ultimately the one that worked for me is a lip stain and not a lipstick.

sell RIMELL cosmetics. I line with RED DIVA.twist out pencil..$5+.and mix my own red-ish brown to fill in. I have older lips, so the top has fallen abit...so..I line just a GNATS whisker above the join of lip n face area...and just shy of all my bottom one..they match up.. I'm well over 65 and enjoy looking SWELL !

• 4 weeks later...

check out "Nectarine" by Estee Lauder in their pure color line (the ones with the lucite bottom on the cases).

It is a light sheer pinky coral red. It "bleeds" a little but if you put a neutral lip liner (matches your lips) around the rims it stops that.

i went to sally today. i need a red lipstick to go with a sexy black dress i got and i had forgotten about those little lipsticks there.

thanks so much!

Archived