Question about passports for '06

Teneene

I understand there is a new requirement for passengers to have passports in order to re-enter the U.S. from other countries beginning in '06. My question is does this apply to passengers on cruises too? I'm supposed to be cruising in January '06 through a group cruise, but when I asked the person who is sponsoring the group cruise she said Carnival told her we didn't need passports. I don't want any problems trying to get home based on misinformation. Does anyone know for sure? Also, how do I find out?

I understand there is a new requirement for passengers to have passports in order to re-enter the U.S. from other countries beginning in '06. My question is does this apply to passengers on cruises too? I'm supposed to be cruising in January '06 through a group cruise, but when I asked the person who is sponsoring the group cruise she said Carnival told her we didn't need passports. I don't want any problems trying to get home based on misinformation. Does anyone know for sure? Also, how do I find out?

Yes, you will need a passport if you are cruising to the Caribbean in 2006. It includes land and sea travel. Are you just going to Mexico??

From carnival site

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

What are the new passport requirements?spacer.gifOn Tuesday, April 5, 2005, the U.S. State Department announced details of the proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." If the proposed rules are enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all air, sea and land border crossings.

Once the proposed rules are finalized - either in their current form or a modified form - the cruise industry will communicate that information to our travel agent partners and guests. In the meantime, individuals with future travel plans that would be affected by the proposed new rules are strongly encouraged to obtain a passport now.

You may print a passport application or get additional information from the government on this subject by visiting: http://travel.state.gov/passport

Please check back on our web site for future updates.

If the question was aksed to Carnival prior to the new regulations, then they answered correctly. If you are cruisng the Caribbeanin 2006, you will need passports. You will not just have problems getting in, you may be denied boarding if you do not present your passport.

This chaps my butt. My TA told the guests on my cruise not to get passports because they did not need them on this cruise after I specifically told them to get passports.

I've been traveling in and out of this country for the past 20 years and have never traveled outside the US without a passport. Why? Why would you?

It is only now that the US is catching up with the rest of the world.

This chaps my butt. My TA told the guests on my cruise not to get passports because they did not need them on this cruise after I specifically told them to get passports.

If you started booking this group 6 months ago, then your TA was right. The new regulations only surface within the past 4 to 6 months.

If you started booking this group 6 months ago, then your TA was right. The new regulations only surface within the past 4 to 6 months.
Hi Joe. I agree with you on this time frame. OTOH the TA has had 4 to 6 months to advise everyone of the new (proposed but you know it's probably gonna happen) requirement for passports.

I sure wouldn't want to be the one to give out what was the right information in January '05 and have a group cruise on my doorstep in Jan '06 when they should be on a cruise :eek:

Charlie

Hi Joe. I agree with you on this time frame. OTOH the TA has had 4 to 6 months to advise everyone of the new (proposed but you know it's probably gonna happen) requirement for passports.

I sure wouldn't want to be the one to give out what was the right information in January '05 and have a group cruise on my doorstep in Jan '06 when they should be on a cruise

I totally understand. Come August, traditionally a slow time of the year for us, we will be going through our 2006 files and sending notices out to anyone that will be travelling to the Caribbean after December 31. If a TA fails to notify clients of the "proposed" new regulations, they may find themselves paying a higher premium for their Errors and Omissions insurance the next time it comes up for renewal.

Come August, traditionally a slow time of the year for us, we will be going through our 2006 files and sending notices out to anyone that will be travelling to the Caribbean after December 31.
Not being in the TA business I didn't consider that your slack time is when many people are on vacation (duh). Hopefully, many other agencies will do as you are planning.

Then again, if they don't maybe some of the suites will open up on OUR departure dates next year when they have to turn away some misinformed passengers. :eek:

(I hope not really. I hate to see anyones vacation get crushed)

Charlie

When I first booked my cruise for February- I was told that I didnt need a passport as that is only for people leaving on cruises from the caribbean- not the US. Ex-- gettingon a cruise in Aruba or barbados. If I was leaving from US and arriving inUS I wont nned it until Dec 31, 2007.

Sometimes I get the same explanation when i call Carnival sometimes I get told something differnt. I decided that I have too much money invested in this cruise not to take a chance on someone told me-- I am getting a passport. If you do not have the proper documents you can be denied boarding.

When I first booked my cruise for February- I was told that I didnt need a passport as that is only for people leaving on cruises from the caribbean- not the US. Ex-- gettingon a cruise in Aruba or barbados. If I was leaving from US and arriving inUS I wont nned it until Dec 31, 2007.

Sometimes I get the same explanation when i call Carnival sometimes I get told something differnt. I decided that I have too much money invested in this cruise not to take a chance on someone told me-- I am getting a passport. If you do not have the proper documents you can be denied boarding.

Applied for my first passport in the '69 to fly to W. Berlin where my DH (98Charlie) was stationed. Lived inside the Berlin Wall for 2 years where every American dependant and ALL European nationals carried their passports for identity. That was just a part of life andmy first awakening to reality.

Never traveled outside this country without a passport since those days and when in port cities, both DH & I have our passports with us, not locked up in cabin's safe.

Happy to hear you are getting your passport. My advice would be to apply asap to avoid the end of the year rush that will occur from those who proscrastinate or are nonbelievers that passports will be necessary for next year for cruise ship travel.

Side note: It's truly amazing how much faster airline check in, as well as cruiseline check in, becomes when you have your passport in hand for identity.

Dianne

Thank you to everyone who responded to this question. I know I can trust this board for the correct information. I will be taking everyone's advice and applying for myself and my family to get passports ASAP!

I understand that some cruise lines are pushing for the date to be delayed but I hope that the government sticks to their date on this one. Most of us on the cc boards starting discussing passports becoming a must after 9/11.

I agree 100 percent. IMHO, if you can save up or shell out enough American $ for a cruise, then you can save up a bit extra for the passport. A passport should be considered just another cost of traveling outside the U.S. and carried with pride by all Americans wanting to re-enter the old U.S. of A.!

Dianne

I understand that some cruise lines are pushing for the date to be delayed but I hope that the government sticks to their date on this one. Most of us on the cc boards starting discussing passports becoming a must after 9/11.

Little OT..But I have noticed that a few resorts are offering "Passport Inclusive" deals. They are paying the cost of the passport so people can visit their resort. I think most of them say up to 4(2 adults and 2 kids).

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/living/11764617.htm

I think, that just answered my question. I have had a passport for 25 years, my wife has one but not our three kids. From what I am understanding is that they too will need a passport right?

Thanks

Guest nhrich
I think, that just answered my question. I have had a passport for 25 years, my wife has one but not our three kids. From what I am understanding is that they too will need a passport right?

Thanks

Yes, they will.

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Joe, my point was that I told everyone in our group who didn't have their passports to get them because I think it is a bad idea to leave the country without one. Come to find out, my TA went behind me and told everyone not to worry about getting a passport.

So if I'm taking a cruise in August 2005 to the Carribean/Mexico I don't need a passport right? That's what it sounds like from the government site but they don't state it outright so I just want to be certain.

Just a BC and picture ID. If you plan to cruise in the future you might think about getting a passport.

I'm cruising in November 2005, but decided to get the passport now. Price just went up to $96 ($66 for the passport, $30 fee to the agency which takes the passport application) at the end of March, but with the new requirements kicking in January 1, 2006, I figure there might be a big delay if I wait until later. Plus once they start embedding the electronic chips, I think the price might go up again.

Is Bahamas considered part of the Caribbean? I was wondering do we have to get a Passport for a Bahamas cruise or not. The cruise is not till next year, but if you don't have to get one then it saves money.

Thanks for all your help!!

"Price just went up to $96"

that really stinks because it will cost us $480 to get the five of us passports - an expense i hadn't planned on when i booked my cruise so long ago!

Are all in the group over 16? Its $97 for those over 16 and $82 for those under 16. Also remember you need to have a picture taken, some places charge$10-15 for that.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

Passport Fees

March 8, 2005

Routine Services (Form DS-11)

Non-Refundable

Age 16 and older: The passport fee is $55. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $97.

Under Age 16: The passport fee is $40. The security surcharge is $12. The execution fee is $30. The total is $82.

Note: When applying at one of the thousands of designated application acceptance facilities in the U.S., you pay the passport fee and the security surcharge to the ''U.S. Department of State'' and the execution fee to the facility where you are applying. Acceptable forms of payment vary. When applying at a Regional Passport Agency, both fees and the surcharge are combined into one payment to the ''U.S. Department of State'' and may be paid by check (personal, certified, travelers''), major credit card (V, MC, AE, Discover), bank draft or cashier''s check, money order (U.S. Postal, international, currency exchange), or if abroad, the foreign currency equivalent, or a check drawn on a U.S. bank.

Archived