Roll Call Etiquette - What Would You Do?

sail7seas

[B]Dh particularly and me as well do not wish to be scheduled while cruising.
I don't want to have to be in a certain place at a certain time.

If we accept a dinner invitation or invite a friend to dine, we did it as our option at the time it was offered.

I don't want to commit months in advance what I am going to do on our cruise on a certain day some great amount of time in advance.

When they run a M&G after life boat drill, there is absolutely no chance I will be present then. That does not fit into our cruise routine.

[/B]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Dh particularly and me as well do not wish to be scheduled while cruising.
I don't want to have to be in a certain place at a certain time.

If we accept a dinner invitation or invite a friend to dine, we did it as our option at the time it was offered.

I don't want to commit months in advance what I am going to do on our cruise on a certain day some great amount of time in advance.

When they run a M&G after life boat drill, there is absolutely no chance I will be present then. That does not fit into our cruise routine.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I always schedule M&G for the first sea day at 11:00. I have to say, 99% will attend at that time. I don't like to commit to anything on the day we board. We have had a M&G at sailing on Prindendam, before the Lido was enclosed. There was an issue with people needing to go to early dining.

[quote name='bar_20']Maybe someone can explain this to me? There are CC posters with 4 & 5 figure posts on this board who do the roll call for their cruise, talk about their families, their work and everything else that goes on in their lives, but can't spend one hour at a meet & greet on the ship to put faces to the posters in the roll call. I can understand someone with a only a handful of posts feeling out of place but some of you post several times a day and refuse to go to a M & G. I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]

You speak the truth! No, no one is obligated due to post counts and just because we while away the time between the cruises on here doesn't mean we want to potentially *waste* cruise time eating dry cookies for an hour.

But you speak the truth.

So there must be something about roll calls that makes them unpleasant.

For me:

I don't drink, as in FOB don't drink, so anything in X or Y bar with a drink package right at the get go puts me on guard.

I didn't pay all that money to sail under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and be inside at a M&G.

Ditto first sea day at 11 when I could be scoping out a lounger.

If a roll call seems to be heavily pushing an excursion I'll skip the M&G.

Ditto if someone is pushy about sharing a table or something that detracts from the family nature of the cruise.

I forgot.

Edited to add: Cruisecritic members can have a bad rep with the crew. Maybe people don't want to be associated with CC once on board. What is the percentage of M&G attendees versus Maasdam banner wavers? Or whatever banner wavers on the west coast...?

[quote name='monina01']I like the bug :) it sort of grows on you

Edit: I always wonder why they call a particular type of Volkswagen a bug. It doesn't really look like one? Not that this has anything to do with anything I guess.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Boytjie']Volkswagen Beetle = Volkswagen Bug. ;)

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg/280px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Maybe it's because if you get into an accident, you get squished like a bug:D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Maybe they want alone time with their DH/DW/Partner/Friend....
Maybe they don't want to make new 'real life' friends on the ship?
Maybe they want to remain private?
Maybe they like the anonymity?
Maybe they got busy doing other things and forgot?
Who knows their reasons but they are entitled to them.
They really don't need to explain IMO

[/B][/QUOTE]

Then why introduce oneself and provide one's screen name to strangers?

One often overhears conversations at other tables while dining, but the proper behavior is to pretend one doesn't, and to not let on to the other parties one has heard their conversation - lest one be thought an eavesdropper.

The whole incident, guilt trip, what have you, could have been avoided - and likewise this thread - by keeping mum and not revealing any information.

Since the OP asked for opinions in the subject line, she should expect to get them. :)

[quote name='HamOp'][COLOR=blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Maybe it's because if you get into an accident, you get squished like a bug:D[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote]

I thought Squish or Squash would be a good name for your pet. Of course I tried to kill him the first time I noticed him but since then he (or is it a she?) has grown on me. I actually thought about you when I had a real gnat fly onto my screen one day. That one I did squish and then had to clean the screen. Yours is less messy.

On other topics: I usually check out the roll call for my cruise and have gotten excellent info and made some friends. I don't meet up with others right after the muster because that doesn't fit in with our schedule. I have gone to m&g's quite a few times and mostly enjoy them. Unfortunately I have a bad memory for names and faces and for ccers it's worse because most everybody has two names for me to figure out. Once I forgot to show up-got busy and missed it-so sorry.

St. Louis Sal

[quote name='Oceanwench']Then why introduce oneself and provide one's screen name to strangers?

One often overhears conversations at other tables while dining, but the proper behavior is to pretend one doesn't, and to not let on to the other parties one has heard their conversation - lest one be thought an eavesdropper.

The whole incident, guilt trip, what have you, could have been avoided - and likewise this thread - by keeping mum and not revealing any information.

Since the OP asked for opinions in the subject line, she should expect to get them. :)[/quote]

Amen to that.

[quote name='Oceanwench']Then why introduce oneself and provide one's screen name to strangers?

Since the OP asked for opinions in the subject line, she should expect to get them. :)[/quote]

[B] My answer above was generalized and not specific to the particular incident which I made the subject of this thread.

Sorry it was written well enough for that to be clear.

I am the OP of this thread.

[/B]

I'm happy to go to a meet and greet and plan to in the future. There's no further obligation and it's a nice chance to say hello to people from the roll call. With large ships you don't get as many opportunities to meet people individually, except for tablemates in the dining room, so I like it.

[quote name='Seago2']In my case it means the closest, most forgiving, least conflicted, most supportive, most hilarious, most got-your-back relationship I've ever had. Ain't no marriage like a good work marriage. Thankfully it's an open marriage and we thoughtfully include both my husband and my GWH's partner of 14 years. On occasion.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I too had a GWH for many years..And as your GWH was to you, we also had the same type of wonderful relationship..He did not drive, so I would pick him up on weekends & we would go out to the Long Beach (NY) with our work Friends every Sat & Sun...[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]A couple of years doing this then we both decided to move out to the beach..My GWH rented an apartment on the 5th floor & I rented one on the 6th floor..Then we drove to work together every day..Our close Friends & I called him "Uncle Hippie" [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]When I married my DH, I asked my "Uncle Hippie" to give me away..At the receiving line in church I handed him my flowers...My fondest memory & picture of him is following us out of church with my flowers hidden behind his back.. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]He retired, before I did & moved to Southwest Fla..Unfortunately, he passed away before DH & I moved here..But several other work Friends are nearby & we all fondly remember "Uncle Hippie"..:):):):)

If I post on the Roll call, I usually would then go to the Meet & Greet..On our very first one we were asked to bring a small gift from our town for a gift exchange..That was fine, but in all the other ones we just sat around & talked..We also had a luncheon mid cruise...When I've organized one, I've asked the participants if they wouod like to get together for a luncheon mid cruise & most of them did..On our last Prinsendam roll call we took several private tours with some who posted on our Roll call..Nothing says you have to stay together & it all came very naturally to us..Our M&G. organizer Pamsy did a wonderful job.. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Betty [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Seago2']You speak the truth! No, no one is obligated due to post counts and just because we while away the time between the cruises on here doesn't mean we want to potentially *waste* cruise time eating dry cookies for an hour.

But you speak the truth.

So there must be something about roll calls that makes them unpleasant.

For me:

I don't drink, as in FOB don't drink, so anything in X or Y bar with a drink package right at the get go puts me on guard.

I didn't pay all that money to sail under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and be inside at a M&G.

Ditto first sea day at 11 when I could be scoping out a lounger.

If a roll call seems to be heavily pushing an excursion I'll skip the M&G.

Ditto if someone is pushy about sharing a table or something that detracts from the family nature of the cruise.

I forgot.

Edited to add: Cruisecritic members can have a bad rep with the crew. Maybe people don't want to be associated with CC once on board. What is the percentage of M&G attendees versus Maasdam banner wavers? Or whatever banner wavers on the west coast...?[/QUOTE]

If you don't have your lounger by 11, you are going to be out of luck much of the time. We mostly sail in Europe, so the folks on our rollcalls aren't interested in laying in the sun. After several bouts of skin cancer---I try to avoid the sun as many people do. Who needs all those wrinkles? People who enjoy others attend the M&G--no one cares about the cookies. People who don't want to meet others don't have to attend----as a person who has organized several, I really don't care!! I don't mean to sound snarky, but those people who have as many reasons for not attending are probably people no one would want to meet anyway! In all honesty, I think it makes no sense to read the rollcall or participate in it if you have no intention of meeting the members. Ready to be flamed.....

Your statement about cruise critic members having a bad rep is totally off the hook, with all due respect. I've been on around 25 cruises and have NEVER heard that one!!

[quote name='LindaM']If you don't have your lounger by 11, you are going to be out of luck much of the time. We mostly sail in Europe, so the folks on our rollcalls aren't interested in laying in the sun. After several bouts of skin cancer---I try to avoid the sun as many people do. Who needs all those wrinkles? People who enjoy others attend the M&G--no one cares about the cookies. People who don't want to meet others don't have to attend----as a person who has organized several, I really don't care!! I don't mean to sound snarky, but those people who have as many reasons for not attending are probably people no one would want to meet anyway! In all honesty, I think it makes no sense to read the rollcall or participate in it if you have no intention of meeting the members. Ready to be flamed.....

Your statement about cruise critic members having a bad rep is totally off the hook, with all due respect. I've been on around 25 cruises and have NEVER heard that one!![/QUOTE]

I will not flame! No flameage. Yes, the crew doesn't like CC members AS A RULE, ok? This is true. I'm not going to quote the ten people off the top of my head who have told me this because I don't want to get them in trouble... Just- I keep my CC lanyard tucked in at this point. Usually. Anyway- who cares? I am looking for a lounger then because I don't go by the pool. I really do try to go to the M&G and as I said I have organized 9/10ths of the ones I've been to. I have two coming up and I have a sneaking feeling....

So will someone please answer me- what are the games?

[quote name='St. Louis Sal']I thought Squish or Squash would be a good name for your pet. Of course I tried to kill him the first time I noticed him but since then he (or is it a she?) has grown on me. I actually thought about you when I had a real gnat fly onto my screen one day. That one I did squish and then had to clean the screen. Yours is less messy.

On other topics: I usually check out the roll call for my cruise and have gotten excellent info and made some friends. I don't meet up with others right after the muster because that doesn't fit in with our schedule. I have gone to m&g's quite a few times and mostly enjoy them. Unfortunately I have a bad memory for names and faces and for ccers it's worse because most everybody has two names for me to figure out. Once I forgot to show up-got busy and missed it-so sorry.

St. Louis Sal[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]So nice to be thought of - (I think):cool:[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/88/VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg/280px-VolkswagenBeetle-001.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Also known in Dutch as 'kever' which means..............'beetle' [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Oh my...that looks like my first VW beetle! '64 white except mine had a sunroof! My 2nd one was a 68 beige...also with sunroof. There's nothing like that 1st VW. :p[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]If you can believe this...we brought our 1st child home from the hospital in the 2nd one..four days after Christmas with very slick roads here in MA...cradled in my lap in the front seat. How scary is that :confused:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='HamOp'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=navy]The "new" bug![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That one is neat! like the color too![/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Betty[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='HamOp'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5][COLOR=navy]The "new" bug![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The real new bug/beetle[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT];)

[IMG]http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/site/archive/2004/12/images/SiouxFallsPoliceBug-th.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Seago2']Edited to add: Cruisecritic members can have a bad rep with the crew. Maybe people don't want to be associated with CC once on board. [/quote]

I have never had a bad experience with the crew when they knew I was active on Cruise Critic, I have actually found the opposite.

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The real new bug/beetle[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT];)

[IMG]http://www.sattlers.org/mickey/site/archive/2004/12/images/SiouxFallsPoliceBug-th.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Pursuit vehicle?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='HamOp'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=blue]Pursuit vehicle?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Not enough oomph!;)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived