Best monopod for hiking?

I'm going to be going on the Silver Explorer 7 day cruise to Panama & Costa Rica where the focus is on the wildlife. I was thinking of taking a long zoom lens, but of course I can't hand-hold those lengths and was thinking of taking a monopod with me. Since I'll be getting in/out of zodiacs and hiking through the jungle, I was wanting something very light and if possible telescopes down to be quite small. I've been looking at websites, but it's hard to tell from the pictures/measurements. Anyone have a particularly good one they could recommend?

I've got an aluminum Monfrotto that extends from about 20" to around 60". It's fairly light and super durable, I've hiked with it for years here in the NC mountains.

Edited to add: I've put everything from a p & S to my D90 w/ my old Tamron 200-400mm lens that weights a ton on the Monfrotto with no problems.

JM

I do the same thing. I use a aluminum manfrotto monopod and take it all over the swamps here in Florida. I just started looking at some of these carbon fiber tripods where one leg comes off and turns into the monopod . Like the idea of the flexibility .

What lens and camera are you going to use?

Do you want the best or just good?

framer

I have a Pentax K5 and the lens I'm thinking about for the wildlife bit is the Sigma f5 150-500. Kind of a beast.

I'd like to know what people actually use and find works for them. I often find abstract notions of "the best" are less useful than hearing of direct experience.

/sigma-150-500mm-f5-6-3-apo-dg-os-hsm.html"]Sigma f5 150-500[/url]. Kind of a beast.

It's probably not much if any heavier than my Tamron 200-400 f5.6, 78mm diameter. It weighs a ton and has it's own spot for a tripod because it is so heavy. My Monfrotto manages the heft just fine. I can't find a model number on it, but it is a three-section expandable one that is right at 60" fully extended and 24" collapsed and weighs about as much as a DSLR camera.

JM

This one is a pretty good one and the price is great. I have a Redged monopod myself but not a carbon fiber one. This one can support over 35lbs and weighs less than one and a half pounds.

http://www.adorama.com/RERMC536.html

Shop around on adorama and/or Bhphoto b/c they have lots of monopods and give great tech specs.

It is nowhere near the "inexpensive" category but I absolutely love my Gitzo 5561. If looking for something for use on this one trip I would follow some of the other more affordable recommendations. If you are serious about hiking, wildlife or off trail photography and are not frightened of the price I would consider it an investment to use for years. This model is as much a high tech cave man walking stick & club as monpod and I can't express how much I use and love this high tech stick and I rarely use my telephoto's without it.

It telescopes down very short for packing in a carry-on bag but still extends to a useful length while being lightweight for a monster of a monopod. It easily supports any camera & lens I've put on it and it supports my full 150+ pounds without the joints slipping. The carbon is quiet if you should bump into something and if using it in a cold climate is much easier on bare skin than aluminum. And surprisingly it has never been an issue with any security agency when packed with or seen with my other camera gear.

Archived