Live from the Grand, May 10 - 20 SF to Alaska

trbarton

I should get my Queasy Beads this week. I know you got yours and are they tight enough to do the job. Brenda

What are the Queasy Beads?

Can you take a picture to show us?

Where do you buy them?

What are the Queasy Beads?

Can you take a picture to show us?

Where do you buy them?

From my cruising blog:

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/05/08/queasy-beads-a-drug-free-remedy-for-motion-sickness-nausea/

They are for motion sickness and use acupressure points just above the wrist. They come in over 30 different colors and also she will make custom combinations.

Queasy Beads ~ Stylish Motion Sickness & Nausea Relief Bracelets

(315) 352-0513

On the web: http://www.queasybeads.com

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/QueasyBeadsBracelets

On Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/QueasyBeads

(Note: Her Etsy store has the best photos. I ordered through her main website.)

1355763511_SilverSparkleforwebsite.jpg.438fb9b559d12d86a5242da1ca1d6b67.jpg

http://kroooz-cams.com/portcams/us/skagway.php

Skagway today

48 degrees with a 50% chance of rain.

They are docked at the RRA dock which is directly behind the NCL Pearl. The train you see to the left is the White Pass Railaway. Cruise Passengers who have booked through the ship can board right across from the ship. If you book on your own, you will need to walk into town (about 6 blocks) and board at the train depot there.

Attached photo is from today.

I have photos taken from the ship when we cruised to Skagway. We also were at the RRA dock.

http://cruising.kreateskards.com/2013/03/23/handicap-accessible/

SkagwayRRADock.jpg.2eae345bf8955d0feeec6aea1f47ee78.jpg

Enjoying this early preview cruise with this gentleman that we met last winter on a 14-night Southern Caribbean Cruise (HA Maasdam) RT Ft. Lauderdale. We'll be taking our entire immediate family (7 adults/3 children) on 3 contiguous port Baja balconies on the Star Princess 20 July (RT Seattle). (We hope for drier port days.) Too bad for us that Ketchikan is at the end, not the beginning of our cruise. We're looking into buying a can of waterproof to improve two of our old windbreakers (would wear a hooded sweat under?), otherwise need to visit expensive outdoors specialty shops as my body shape calls for a 2X.

Enjoy your days return to San Francisco!

DJ:)

Any word on taking wine onboard in SF? Did they limit to only one bottle per guest or did they not care?

My understanding is 1 bottle per person. I have friends on other ships right now and they enforced it. $15.00 corkage fee for the extra bottles no matter where consumed on the ship.

Jayne

Grand Princess Alaska...May 10 - 20, 2013

Skagway...Wednesday, May 15, 2013

syner165...Executive Chef is C. Seeparsad Vashish

Cold but nice weather plus no rain. Hurray!!!

I have seen a lot of people wearing Alaska clothes, jackets etc. and suspect that they didn't prepare for rain and cold weather. Layered clothing is a must.

I took the train today and it was excellent. Lots to see and photograph. Excellent tour guide on train.

Tour Tip....unless you like getting up early take a later tour. You'll see the same things but you won't have to rush in the morning.

Skagway is an easy town to visit. About a 10 minute walk or you can take the shuttle from the end of the pier into town for $2. There is also a shuttle from the ship to the end of the pier that is free.

Some of the jewelry stores in these towns have employees that can be very aggressive so be aware.

Saw a excellent show with Bobby Brooks Wilson, sone of Jackie Wilson. He did impersonations of many singers and did a great job. He will return in a few nights.

I went to the One5 club and wound up dancing with a group of Phillipino ladies. We took over the dancing floor.

Up at 5 am to see the glacier. Will report more later.

Tom

Thanks do much for doing your "Live From" review. We will be on the Grand on July 29 to Glacier Bay, and your review is helping to answer some of my questions. One question I have is about boarding time. You said you arrived at noon. Did you have staggered boarding and was 12 the time you were given to board? Or was that the time you chose on your own to arrive? I'm curious to see how well they enforce the staggered boarding.

I went to the One5 club and wound up dancing with a group of Phillipino ladies. We took over the dancing floor.

Tom

Who is your DJ at the One5? Sounds like it's pretty happening, which wasn't the case on our last Alaska cruise.

Thanks do much for doing your "Live From" review. We will be on the Grand on July 29 to Glacier Bay, and your review is helping to answer some of my questions. One question I have is about boarding time. You said you arrived at noon. Did you have staggered boarding and was 12 the time you were given to board? Or was that the time you chose on your own to arrive? I'm curious to see how well they enforce the staggered boarding.

The staggered boarding is a joke along with the number of wine bottles. I arrived at 12 noon and they weren't checking anything for boarding times. I was told that they let people in at 11:40 am so I would go early and at least you can check in your luggage. The staggered boarding info says boarding starts at 1 pm but is not being enforced.

Tom:)

Who is your DJ at the One5? Sounds like it's pretty happening, which wasn't the case on our last Alaska cruise.

I don't remember names well but he's a young British chap.

Tom,

When you cruised in Tracy Arm were you able to get to the very end to see the Glacier there?

Any whale sightings?

Seems impossible that your cruise will be over soon AND that ours will just beginning. Thank you for doing the live thread.

Mary

Got off the Grand just before Tom got on. We had "DJ Shane".

Since you're just recently off Grand Princess, what were your impressions of the ship? It seems that opinions range from good to bad !

Scenic Cruising...Thursday, May 16, 2013

At sea...Friday, May 17, 2013

When I signed up for the Internet I entered in to a raffle for free Internet minutes. When I logged off on Wednesday and looked at my minutes used I was shocked to see that I had won 500 FREE minutes. Wow what a surprise. This is my first cruise that I have been so blessed. Below is what I saw.

5/15/2013 9:30 AM Pax Raffle - 500 500 0.00

I'll report of going into Tracy Arms. They started going into the channel at 5 am. Reminder that there are long days and short nights. Someone said there was daylight after 4 am. Well we got in partway where you could see the glacier in the distance and then the ship turned around to head out. I remember 20 years ago going right near the glacier and the ship stopped for a while. We didn't know why we didn't go near the glacier until one of the bridge officers made an announcement and explained why. It because of the design of the Grand, rounded at the front of the ship instead of pointed design in the front, and it wasn't safe to continue on because of this and the icebergs that were there so we only saw it from a distance.

Remember to have layered clothing. Wish I had brought a knit hat and scarf. Very useful.

We have run into patches of thick fog where you hear the ships whistle.

Decided to try the pizzeria at lunch yesterday. After my order 30 minutes had passed and guess what happened they couldn't find my order. But when the pizza arrived, 4 big slices, and it was good. Thought that they might offer me a beer on the house but that didn't happen.

We had to move our watches ahead one hour last night.

Today was our 2nd meet & greet. The front desk made copies of my flyer and told me that they would deliver them. Well I found out that some people got the flyer and some didn't. Next time I may make copies and deliver them myself. No officers this time but we did a white elephant exchange which was fun. Some people brought some funny gifts which added to the fun. We put our gifts in a bag and the room keys went into my baseball cap and the bartender drew the first one out.

The ships photographer came and took some photos in 2 different locations and had good ideas. The photo department will come if you ask them as I did with a letter at the beginning of the cruise. Suggestion is to have them come 30 minutes past your meeting time. A suggestion was to plan a lunch together after your M & G and to get a head count before your cruise and make a restaurant reservation and your group will all sit together.

Today is the 2nd wine tasting, and the first one was fun.

Camera tip....If it's raining plan on how you are going to protect your camera with something.

I went to MUTS yesterday. Other that dressing warmly check to see if the lounge chair is wet before you sit down which I found out after sitting down.

Tonight is our 2nd and last formal night. I heard that tonight is the a captains party for returning Princess cruiser's which I am not because I am a "new be".

No rough weather yet.

A suggestion that CC members post suggestions of shops to visit in each port so we have some suggestions especially for new people to Alaska.

I'm off to wine tasting so will talk later.

Thanks to all who have read my blog. I hope that I have been helpful.

tom...thanks for each and every one of your postings. i feel like i'm right there with you. hope i have better weather in september than you are having. too bad you didn't get up close to the glacier. maybe we'll have better luck in september. when i sailed on holland american line to glacier bay, we did get relatively close to the glaciers and enjoyed seeing calving too. before you finish posting, please name the shops you visited in the ports and which ones you enjoyed.

cheers

Enjoying the updates.

Last time in Tracy Arm, we were on the Dawn Princess. Couldn't go all the way down to see the Glacier because of the ice (September). The week before they had made it all the way in. One of the ships due in Tracy Arm earlier than us that day was turned away because of fog, they didn't even get to travel down the arm at all. There are so many variables.

Since you're just recently off Grand Princess, what were your impressions of the ship? It seems that opinions range from good to bad !

The Grand is showing her age somewhat--we saw some cracking in our shower and the toilet had black stains...rust on the body of the ship (that's to be expected on any ship, but a bit more than we've seen on others). Otherwise, she seems in good shape and the crew was, as usual, working hard on maintenance. We didn't experience any of the water issues that folks further back were experiencing with their showers (black water, temperature control). This was our third time on the Grand and I like what they did in drydock. Love Alfredo's pizzeria :D and the IC. We had the new mattresses--very comfy! No need for an egg crate. They took the mats off the balconies, which to us is a plus--those were hard on the bare feet.

We had a pretty calm crossing to and from Hawaii, but even when there were some waves, the Grand was very stable. (Hmm, I should get going and write a review!)

We thoroughly enjoyed the Grand again. Experiencing separation anxiety this week ;)

Victoria...Saturday, May 18, 2013

Good afternoon...wine tasting yesterday was fun and good information. Only $9.50 and we tasted 5 different kinds of wine.

Arrived in Victoria with overcast sky's. When I got up their was a light rain which stopped soon.

I took the tour to Buchart Gardens. This is a great place especially if you like flowers and photography. The time in Victoria is too short. Only 2 hrs. at the gardens. I saw Alaska cruises for next year where they are in Victoria for 12 hrs.

There was a question about impressions of the Grand. This is my first Princess cruise so my observations may different. I have been pleased with everything. All of the staff that I have had contact with have been very friendly and courteous. To me the ship looks a little worn and could use some time redoing things like carpets and a fresh coat of paint every where. Food has been excellent. Last night I shared my bottle of champaign with my table mates. Remember disregard the staggered boarding times. Just arrive early.

So far the sea conditions have been good.

FYI...I bought the soda package and can just show your cruise card rather than caring the soda mug around.

Bring a yellow high liner to mark things on the daily Platter.

Tomorrow I will take a tour of the ship which should be fun. Cost is $150. On HAL they did a free tour of the kitchen.

I'll check my receipts and tell which shops I shopped in in my next post. Too many shops in each port to remember them all as I went into a lot of stores but different purchase anything.

Time to organize things before the last minute.

Talk to you soon.

Tom

Archived