Cell Phone use while cruising

wezie

Hi. I am traveling with a friend who is worries all the time. I am trying to get her excited about going on this cruise and I think the only thing holding her back is that she can't receive phone calls if she is needed for anything back home. She has an AT&T I-phone. If she shuts off the data roaming and leaves her cell phone turned on, will she only be charged if she gets a call? Has anyone actually used their cell phone while at sea to make or receive phone calls?

Contact ATT and get their instructions on how to 'shut down' data and any other data driven apps. Honestly, she would be best to keep it off. I have seen horror stories on data charges with smart phones.

Depending on where you are cruising, some Island/Areas you can buy international phone or data plans. These can be prorated for the week you are cruising. Keep in mind that if you are on the ship, you are on the ship's phone plan/charges regardless of the plan you buy from your phone company.

If you buy a internet plan from the ship, you can always connect your phone to that and use Skype.

The only time data roaming is an issue is when you are in range of a port but, I agree, turn data roaming off. Also, notify AT&T of your travel and get a cheap roaming plan because I have an iPhone and it reset when I powered down and turned the phone back on so I was protected. I was being charged $25 for each 100 mb. I have Verizon and they fixed it. Don't turn the phone off. It is $2.49/minute which I don't think is horrible. And you have peace of mind knowing that you can be contacted if necessary.

There is a carnival forum where she can set up a thread and if something goes wrong at home, they can post on the thread and she cant post there and tell them back home where she is doing.

Its free to access carnival.com and the forum

If you call home from your cabin its only $1.99 per minute.. cheaper than a cell phone.

There is also a emergency number for about $10 a minute someone from home could use to call your cabin.. but hopefully there would not be a emergency.

leave the cell phone off.

IF she changed to international plan before she left the cheapest I have heard is still $2.49 per minute to call .. and if she turned it on to check.. whats to stop other nonsense calls from coming thru?

If she needs to call or talk .. do it in the ports where its cheaper. I check from the ports on my elderly parents. If they said something was wrong, I would fly home from that port. Nothing I can do from on the ship.

I've never been charged extra for just shutting data roaming off.

If data roaming is turned off .. could they get a call thru to her if it was a emergency?

Wouldnt that keep people from being able to call you on the ship?

So, I cant figure out what good it would do to turn on the phone but turn roaming off? What am I missing.

If data roaming is turned off .. could they get a call thru to her if it was a emergency?

Wouldnt that keep people from being able to call you on the ship?

So, I cant figure out what good it would do to turn on the phone but turn roaming off? What am I missing.

Turn data roaming off and you won't get charged for texts, emails that go through your phone, or all those other notifications from social media sites. Those are things that can really add up. Then, one could still receiving phone calls. I would tell people to call me only if an emergency though, with the prices they charge. Also, I would call AT&T first to inquire before I cruised.

Turn the phone off.

Get the internet minutes at the cafe if she must but truth is, if "something" happens at sea, nothing you can do.

Suggest she must want to see someone about better ways to deal with anxiety for better long term health...

Turn the phone off.

Get the internet minutes at the cafe if she must but truth is, if "something" happens at sea, nothing you can do.

Suggest she must want to see someone about better ways to deal with anxiety for better long term health...

She would not need to pay for internet minutes.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

currently onboard.. go to community, forums and look for currently onboard.

Its free to set up a thread for you and your family back home and free to post from the ship.

I agree with turning the phone off. Texts will still come through even if data is off, and that can get pricey. If there is a true emergency at home her family can call the ship. Other than that it's worry over something she really can't do anything about anyway.

Currently my phone is also my camera. So I would need to buy a separate camera if I am going to power down my phone for the trip?

We just booked our first cruise and I saw this thread. Concerned about leaving elderly/disabled MIL at home. Will have a friend here to check on her, but would like to be able to be reached if there is an emergency. Someone can call the ship to alert us? Otherwise we can check on her at a port? Or just email her daily to check on her? Do I understand that there is internet access on the ship?

Sorry if these are dumb questions...we are new and clueless.:o

She would not need to pay for internet minutes.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/20274.aspx

currently onboard.. go to community, forums and look for currently onboard.

Its free to set up a thread for you and your family back home and free to post from the ship.

Currently my phone is also my camera. So I would need to buy a separate camera if I am going to power down my phone for the trip?

We just booked our first cruise and I saw this thread. Concerned about leaving elderly/disabled MIL at home. Will have a friend here to check on her, but would like to be able to be reached if there is an emergency. Someone can call the ship to alert us? Otherwise we can check on her at a port? Or just email her daily to check on her? Do I understand that there is internet access on the ship?

Did you see my post above?

Yes there is internet.. and you can set up a thread before your cruise (see my link above?). If your mil cannot post on the thread, have your friend post there and keep in touch. Its free to post from the ship on carnival.com. My Dad is 94 but he can post online.. but your if MIL might not be able to. Surely someone can do it.. and you can keep in touch free that way.

If you want to email regular, prices start at 75 cents a minute. I email from ports and get online where the prices are very cheap.

I check on my parents from ports on email .. but im doing a TA to hawaii for 15 days, so that time Ill set up a thread so we can talk, since I will be onboard for 3 days in a row with no ports.

All ships have internet.. and my post earlier in this thread.. you can call for $1.99 home from your cabin if you need to... cheaper than from your cell phone.

There's no such thing as a dumb question - it's only dumb if you don't ask it!

In the past, I have turned my phone to airplane mode and turned data roaming off - never had any problem. This will allow you to continue to use your telephone as a camera. If you are concerned, contact your cell phone company. Better yet, just take it into your local store and have them show you precisely what to do so you will not be billed for roaming when out of the country.

Regarding communications while on the ship.

1. Yes, you can use the internet. It is a for fee service. You can take your own computer and use in your room or elsewhere on the ship and the ships also have an internet 'cafe' available. You may use the internet for email, etc. Keep in mind, however, you will be using satellite, so service is a bit slower.

2. Internet for free. You can use some internet services for free - such as connecting to the Carnival website. On the Carnival website, you can go to the community forums. In those forums, there is a section for those who are currently on-board to stay connected with those back home.

3. Calling home. You can call home from your stateroom for $1.99 per minute.

4. Calling from home to YOU on the ship. Others can call you on the ship if needed. I would discuss when/why a call should be made, keeping in mind that there will be little you can do, and receiving 'the' call will only increase your anxiety and stress, unless you are actually providing directions to someone back home. The process to do this is as follows:

"Friends and family may call guests on board via Sea Mobile Shore-to-Ship telephone service. The rate is $9.50 per minute from the United States; additional long distance charges may apply from outside the United States.

1-877-CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) – from the U.S

1-732-335-3284 - from outside the U.S

The caller needs to have available the ship name and the guest's name. The charges will be applied to the caller's credit card: MasterCard; Visa; American Express; The Discover Card; Diner's Club."

Hope this helps relieve some anxiety!

I have an iPhone that I use when I cruise for pictures, games and music--i just turn the phone onto airplane mode and turn the data off. This prevents me from getting texts, calls, emails, etc.

You can get calls to the ship but it is $9.50 PER MINUTE from inside the US. You call 1-877-CCLSHIP (1-877-225-7447) and they will connect to your ship.

You can also call landlubbers from the phone in your cabin for $1.99 a minute.

I have only used my phone in Canada before and the charges weren't too insane that I noticed, but I'm not sure about the islands. You might want to call your carrier to figure out your options.

The cheapest option (short of creating a Funville thread) is going to be to purchase an internet package and use e-mail/Facebook. This is the route that my Mom goes so she cruises. That way she can do a quick sweep of her email to see if there are updates in the morning and before she goes to bed.

What about the pay as you go phones that get international calling for more money per month? I believe straight talk charges $60 per month for international calling. Any of those kind of services good for the ports?

Archived